Review of Viewliner II roomette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took a round trip from NYP to Raleigh on the weekend of 3/26 and 3/27 on the Silver Star. The cars are a solid improvement over Viewliner I cars in ride quality and build quality. The seats are plusher, and the table much sturdier. I did not use the bed. The space underneath the step where the toilet typically was useful for storing a small carry-on bag. I noticed that many passengers had difficulty storing suitcases. As I walked two and from the diner, I saw people sitting with a suitcase between the door and seats. They were either unable or unwilling to put their bag overhead. A person traveling with me was unable to store his larger bag overhead. He had been able to store a bag overhead in the viewliner I cars.

I took a round trip from NYP to Raleigh on the weekend of 3/26 and 3/27 on the Silver Star. The cars are a solid improvement over Viewliner I cars in ride quality and build quality. The seats are plusher, and the table much sturdier. I did not use the bed. The space underneath the step where the toilet typically was useful for storing a small carry-on bag. I noticed that many passengers had difficulty storing suitcases. As I walked two and from the diner, I saw people sitting with a suitcase between the door and seats. They were either unable or unwilling to put their bag overhead. A person traveling with me was unable to store his larger bag overhead. He had been able to store a bag overhead in the viewliner I cars.
Is the Cubby Hole by the Top Bunk not as Big as in the I's?

And perhaps they didn't know that you can Lower the Top Bunk, put your Bag on it, step on the Toliet Seat and put your Bag into the Cubby Hole, or if traveling alone just use the Top Bunk as your storage Room!

The biggest miss in the Viewliner II design is that they forgot to retain the two linen closets as found in Viewliner Is. Consequently it looks to me like they do not sell roomette 11 if they can help it so that it can be used as storage. Otherwise it is no showers for anyone as it becomes the storage room. I cannot understand how they could have missed such an obvious thing. Where did they think all those beddings are going to reside that need to be swapped in as passengers change enroute?

The biggest miss in the Viewliner II design is that they forgot to retain the two linen closets as found in Viewliner Is. Consequently it looks to me like they do not sell roomette 11 if they can help it so that it can be used as storage. Otherwise it is no showers for anyone as it becomes the storage room. I cannot understand how they could have missed such an obvious thing. Where did they think all those beddings are going to reside that need to be swapped in as passengers change enroute?
In the Bag Car perhaps?

Before Amtrak started carrying Firearms and Bag Cars had to be Locked, several SCAs stored Luggage and Dirty Linen in the Bag Car since Viewliners have such Limited Storeage as we know

Not like management ever rides the trains, so how would they know? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not like management ever rides the trains, so how would they know? :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Actually I am yet to come across anyone in management who designs the interiors of any cars. ;) Besides, of late they change so often that the relevant knowledge up there is rather low. Harvard Business School idea that anyone with "Management" expertise can manage absolutely anything, strikes again.

The primary disconnect is between the group that designs and then monitors contracts and the people in the field who have to use the stuff they produce. Amtrak for the longest time has had a disconnect, and a more proactive management would fix the disconnect. Somehow Amtrak managed to lose all the expertise in managing contracts that they apparently had in the Amfleet and Superliner contract days. And yet they seem to have done a much better job with locomotives of late, though there always are a few complaints about everything.

Brightline broke down those barriers much better and they have a product that their field folks are more or less happy with.

I am not sure how Amtrak and States are doing with involving field personnel with the Siemens folks, and if they will be as successful as Brightline.

Last edited:
Brightline broke down those barriers much better and they have a product that their field folks are more or less happy with.
Seems to me that most or all of the Brightline mgt. I've seen in TV interviews are real train people, enthusiastic about their product.

I recall that YouTube wherein a new Brightline trainset was stopped in the middle of nowhere en route from Sacramento to FL, when the head honcho onboard (I think some VP) invited a random pack of railfans, who were taking trackside photos, onto the train and enthusiastically gave them a full VIP tour.

Well, the Brightline East Mechanical Department came to a large extent from the North East Corridor, both Amtrak and NJ Transit. There are senior folks in that department who were deeply involved in the development of the Acela Program.

At levels above that they are mostly from the real estate and hospitality industry. The new Infrastructure boss is an infrastructure man who held a high position in the construction of the new Tappan Zee Bridge known as Cuomo something something. But in general they are better grounded in the business than Amtrak's helicoptering executives.

The Viewliner program however, developed into a walking disaster in the regime of Boardman, which was somewhat unfortunate and surprising. No one seems to have got a straight story about what happened.

When they renamed the old bridge The Malcolm Wilson-TZ Bridge in the early 90s, everyone still called it the TZ, nobody cared. I think most locals still say TZ and not Mario Cuomo-TZ, or Triboro rather than RFK, but because some people didn't like Andrew, there was all kinds of whining about the naming for his father. It was pretty funny listening to all of the clowns talking about keeping traditional names, and they didn't even know it had been renamed 30 years ago.

Is the Cubby Hole by the Top Bunk not as Big as in the I's?

And perhaps they didn't know that you can Lower the Top Bunk, put your Bag on it, step on the Toliet Seat and put your Bag into the Cubby Hole, or if traveling alone just use the Top Bunk as your storage Room!

Taking my first trip in a couple weeks where I will potentially get a V II so I was watching videos on them and it appears that the storage space up on the wall is smaller, doesn't look as deep. This is a concern for me since we normally bring two big bags that just fit in the storage area on the V Is.

My biggest complaints with the Viewliner II cars are:
1 - The bedroom seems somewhat smaller than VLI.
2 - No storage cubby for the upper bunk ladder.
2 - The sink is definitely smaller.
3 - The mattress is extremely hard!

I posted these dimensions a few years ago after using a tape measure on a trip in a Viewliner I sleeper roomette. I wanted to know for future reference if some of my luggage would fit in the over the aisle storage bin or not. The information provided by Amtrak is not very precise.

Here is what I posted then:
"The overhead storage bin in a Viewliner roomette is 21 inches deep, 16 inches tall and 35 and half inches wide so you can measure your luggage and compare the measurements to this space. There is a raised rim at the opening which is one or two inches tall and there is a railing at the opening to hold the luggage in place.

Note that in order to place luggage into the storage bin, the luggage has to clear a protruding light fixture and the railing mentioned above and this clearance is a little over 12 inches. So although the storage bin is 16 inches tall, a suitcase with rigid sides much over 12 inches thick would not fit into the bin because you wouldn't be able to get it through the opening."

Has anyone taken a tape measure on a trip on a Viewliner II sleeper and can confirm whether those dimensions are the same as on a Viewliner I or if they have changed? I intend to do so on my next trip but that may not be for a while.
Thanks.

My biggest complaints with the Viewliner II cars are:
1 - The bedroom seems somewhat smaller than VLI.
2 - No storage cubby for the upper bunk ladder.
2 - The sink is definitely smaller.
3 - The mattress is extremely hard!
Why would the lack of the ladder storage cubby bother you? I would think this saves space since the ladder now store in the top bunk.

MODERATOR'S NOTE: A number of posts discussing the contact address for Amtrak have been moved to a thread where this has been discussed in the past:

https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/where-to-send-complaints.80223/#post-927653
Please post any further material on Amtrak contact address to that thread and reserve this thread for Viewliner II discussion.

Thanks for you understanding, cooperation and participation.

Why would the lack of the ladder storage cubby bother you? I would think this saves space since the ladder now store in the top bunk.
Ah, but it isn’t. During the day, the ladder is stuffed behind the swivel seat. It rattles all day long. See the attached picture. The storage cubby in the Viewliner 1 bedroom was much better.258183AE-F639-4F0C-BFE1-571A82C7ED3E.jpeg

Ah, but it isn’t. During the day, the ladder is stuffed behind the swivel seat. It rattles all day long. See the attached picture. The storage cubby in the Viewliner 1 bedroom was much better.View attachment 28690
My first trip in the new bedroom they had the ladder stored in the upper bunk.

The second trip they didn’t - so I put it there myself and left it there the rest of the trip (except when I was sleeping, of course).

That solved the issue for me at least.

Back