Revisiting Boston-Florida service/NEC to FL via Charlotte

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok here is my opinion on this. I like your last option for the northbound the best for these two regions. It gives Miami a later train north as currently you go north in the morning south in the afternoon. And I like that we're adding a daylight train from ATL-NYP. But here is what I think southbound send it out of New York early at six am and it hits ATL around midnight. Overnight to JAX and take the Silver Stars slot south. Pushing the star back two hours into the Meteors slot headed south in Florida. And shoving the meteor back to a three set operation leaving at 7 at night from New York. You free up a set. And the major market of NYP-RGH is still in a decent time. Plus SAV benefits with five of six trains at decent hours. What do you guys think

Ok here is my opinion on this. I like your last option for the northbound the best for these two regions. It gives Miami a later train north as currently you go north in the morning south in the afternoon. And I like that we're adding a daylight train from ATL-NYP. But here is what I think southbound send it out of New York early at six am and it hits ATL around midnight. Overnight to JAX and take the Silver Stars slot south. Pushing the star back two hours into the Meteors slot headed south in Florida. And shoving the meteor back to a three set operation leaving at 7 at night from New York. You free up a set. And the major market of NYP-RGH is still in a decent time. Plus SAV benefits with five of six trains at decent hours. What do you guys think
This is your day train between NYP and ATL and overnight between ATL and JAX and your suggested shifts for the Star (2 hrs later) and Meteor (4 hrs later).

This would be a great schedule for transfers in Atlanta between the Silver Moon and Crescent:

Florida to New Orleans: 10: Arr ATL 5:35am from Florida, 19: Lv ATL 8:38am for New Orleans

New Orleans to Florida: 20: Arr ATL 7:35pm from New Orleans, 9: Lv ATL 12:38am for Florida

Seaboard92 Carolina, Atlanta to Florida 2015.pdf

Attachments

• Seaboard92 Carolina, Atlanta to Florida 2015.pdf
    147.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:
I see one other good connection in this too. I see a Chicago on 30 connection to 91 or 97. The 91 is really good for the Carolina markets. What I love about this time card is going south out of JAX it isn't exactly fleeting the trains. You have an early morning, a mid morning, and afternoon. It looks like a much better time card. Plus the meteor frees up a set of equipment.

The other interesting expansion that would tie in would be the Crescent Star from FTW. That should improve the TX-FL time for right now. And help give options that aren't a night in NOLA or up to Chicago for the south to go west

On Seaboard92's proposed routing of the Silver Moon (I prefer resurrecting the name Silver Comet, but whatever the name), this adds one more daytime service to Lynchburg, which VA had been planning anyway. This would be a lucrative stop ridership wise

And it helps the Crescent with it's strong ATL-NYP market. Which is a lot of VA points to be Honest. I prefer Silver Comet too. Also the time card might be able to tightened if VA starts putting work into the line to Lynchburg. And NC continues to upgrade GRO-CLT. So it actually might have a chance of a tighter card in the future

Any LD train to BOS ? Several posters have pointed out on other threads that there is at present a 9 car limit in BOS's maintenance facility. Understand resolution of that is going to be difficult and very expensive.

I do believe this thread has been hijacked.

Any LD train to BOS ? Several posters have pointed out on other threads that there is at present a 9 car limit in BOS's maintenance facility. Understand resolution of that is going to be difficult and very expensive.
West Point: Boston is irrelevant. We are no longer talking about the concepts that were previously discussed in the Expanding Some Exisitng Amtrak Routes Along the NEC? thread.

Please follow along!

Thread_Has_Been_Hijacked.jpg

My original post was LD to BOS. Somehow it became talk about an additional LD to Florida and I had suggested going through North Carolina and Atlanta. I started a new post for my proposed new route but one of the moderators merged it into this post. I agree it's confusing.

Theoretically the Cap could be tightened slightly to do it with two sets instead of three, but most consider that impractical with the CSX an NS shenanigans between the east and Chicago.
It's also worth noting in the context of "using fewer sets per run" that the Cardinal currently uses 2 sets to run three times a week, but would use only 3 sets to run daily.

Theoretically the Cap could be tightened slightly to do it with two sets instead of three, but most consider that impractical with the CSX an NS shenanigans between the east and Chicago.
The South of the Lake project alone could cut 30 or 40 minutes out of the Capital Ltd's schedule to Toledo. A full bore Corridor service Chicago-Cleveland would take 2 or 3 hours out of the current timetable. All that would be great for westbound trains and Cleveland riders

But eastbound, getting to Pittsburgh faster gets you there in the middle of the night, instead of at dawn. So solving the Cleveland times for the Capital -- and getting it into D.C. early enuff to turn it same day -- badly hurts the Pgh riders.

Really, if we speed things up, we'll need another train on the route with good times for Pgh. And we'll need more equipment sets to do that. LOL..

Back