Revived Facebook group for the Southwest Chief

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only person left who has not signed up for Facebook? Years ago, I read the terms of service and found them onerous. Then I heard that Mark Z said no one has an expectation of privacy. Later revelations of Facebook policies did nothing to tempt me.

Anyway, I launched into this tirade because it doesn't make sense to me to require Facebook membership to participate in a support group for the Chief.

So don't participate. No one is holding a gun to your head ;) .

The reason groups are setup under FB is because it has one of the largest online communities that is easy to bring into the groups.

Compared to that it is relatively hard and expensive to run something like AU for example.

Last edited by a moderator:
So don't participate. No one is holding a gun to your head ;) .

The reason groups are setup under FB is because it has one of the largest online communities that is easy to bring into the groups.

Compared to that it is relatively hard and expensive to run something like AU for example.
Touche, you are correct sir!

I understand fully the reluctance of some people to participate in social media, whether Facebook, Twitter, or any other outlet. And as someone who develops websites for a living, I much prefer that medium, since a website is something you own, and you aren't at the mercy of what social media are doing this week.

But as rail advocates, I think it's important to take our points of view to where people congregate, and as long as venues like Facebook and Twitter are popular, we need to make our voices heard there.

Include me out of Facebook also!

Big Brother is always watching and listening but no one should become a Billionaire selling personal information!
Right on. Sad that people these days have no thought of their privacy. They apparently never read "1984". Only it's worse. Not only does government spy (but they don't care) but corporations do it and they do care. Worse, they get hacked and every private and foreign government hacker cares.

I care more about my privacy than I do about the SWC. I'll read facebook posts (then immediately delete the cookies) but never contribute.

Right on. Sad that people these days have no thought of their privacy. They apparently never read "1984". Only it's worse. Not only does government spy (but they don't care) but corporations do it and they do care. Worse, they get hacked and every private and foreign government hacker cares.

I care more about my privacy than I do about the SWC. I'll read facebook posts (then immediately delete the cookies) but never contribute.
I'm not so worried about our government. As someone more clever than I am said, there is no vast conspiracy. At most, it's a half-vast conspiracy. It does bother me when a company wants to collect information on me and use it to make a profit. It insults me when a company thinks I should be grateful for being exploited.

If someone decided that Facebook is the correct place to have a support group, and the support of people who aren't members is not important, fine. On the other hand, the support group could announce itself on Facebook and include a pointer to an open forum. For that matter, the group could have a forum on Facebook that does not require registration.

Tin foil hat wearer's. Your identity can be stolen from anywhere. Hackers can hack your phone your car your smart tv. Don't use your credit card in a store or gas pump you never know if it is being cloaned. Might as well get off the computer and live in a cage.

I understand fully the reluctance of some people to participate in social media, whether Facebook, Twitter, or any other outlet. And as someone who develops websites for a living, I much prefer that medium, since a website is something you own, and you aren't at the mercy of what social media are doing this week.

But as rail advocates, I think it's important to take our points of view to where people congregate, and as long as venues like Facebook and Twitter are popular, we need to make our voices heard there.
I think it's horses for courses. There are things you can do very well on a dedicated website and things that work better on a social media platform. If you want to run a succesful outrecah and campaign you cannot really afford to pretend Facebook doesn't exist.

I'm not so worried about our government. As someone more clever than I am said, there is no vast conspiracy. At most, it's a half-vast conspiracy. It does bother me when a company wants to collect information on me and use it to make a profit. It insults me when a company thinks I should be grateful for being exploited.

If someone decided that Facebook is the correct place to have a support group, and the support of people who aren't members is not important, fine. On the other hand, the support group could announce itself on Facebook and include a pointer to an open forum. For that matter, the group could have a forum on Facebook that does not require registration.
And meanwhile Google is collecting quite a bit of the vaunted private usage and visiting pattern information anyway, even from the non-FB site usually. The only solution is to simply stay off the internet if that sort of privacy is really important to anyone. The only additional problem at FB is that the information is being used by at least both Google and FB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back