Quantcast

RFP issued for Amfleet I replacement

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Andrew

Lead Service Attendant
How likely is it for Stadler to receive the contract for new Amfleet coaches?

rickycourtney

Conductor
They have a chance. I’m not willing to put any odds on one manufacturer over another.

Siemens is the favorite because they have a proven product and an established production line.

But I want to make this point super clear...

I expect nearly every passenger equipment manufacturer that has a US operation (and maybe some that don’t) has made a proposal. That includes Stadler.

This is a very lucrative contract that could keep a factory humming for years.

Another way to see this is that Siemens has the least to lose here. Between the CA/Midwest order, the VIA order, the future Brightline order... the Venture production line will be busy for years to come. Siemens also has very busy LRV and Charger production lines.

For another manufacturer... this contract could be the difference between being a player in the US marketplace for a few more years or closing up a factory.

Andrew

Lead Service Attendant
I understand that Siemens maybe the favorite but I was not too sure if they were too busy to manufacture new Amfleet coaches?

NSC1109

Lead Service Attendant
It (likely) will not happen.

When choosing a supplier, your best option is the one with the proven product. I don’t believe Stadler has mass-produced a US heavy-rail order as of yet (if this is incorrect someone tell me) and not everyone can do it (see Nippon Sharyo).

Siemens had a proven product, the ability to ramp manufacturing, and a good working relationship with the states and Amtrak reps. In the interests of fleet commonality, they are they way to go.

Last edited:

rickycourtney

Conductor
I don’t believe Stadler has mass-produced a US heavy-rail order as of yet (if this is incorrect someone tell me) and not everyone can do it (see Nippon Sharyo).
Stadler has the FLIRT DMU heavy-rail trainset and the KISS EMU trainset.

The company has built eight 4-car FLIRT trainsets for the TEXRail line in Fort Worth, TX, is building four 2-car FLIRT trainsets for the Arrow line in Redlands, CA, and is also building 19 7-car KISS sets for Caltrain in San Jose, CA.

I'll let you decide if a total production of 173 cars is "mass-production."

I don't really understand where that equipment stands with meeting FRA standards. To be honest, I don't have my head fully wrapped around the new FRA rules and waivers.

However, I have heard that Caltrain needs to have PTC up and running to fulfill the requirements the FRA set in its waiver allowing the EMUs to share tracks with freight trains... so with all lines forced to have PTC soon there may be a way to use Stadler's equipment nationwide... but there may also be more hoops to jump through.

Stadler has also made locomotive-hauled railcars for the US market -- but -- it was a 10-car order of bespoke bi-level glass-domed coaches for Rocky Mountaineer. They took around three years to build the tiny order... so that's not exactly a pressure test.

Stadler would probably be a great choice if Amtrak decides to go the EMU/DMU route... but I don't think they will because it means disposing of the 5-year-old ACS-64 locomotives.

I understand that Siemens maybe the favorite but I was not too sure if they were too busy to manufacture new Amfleet coaches?
I'm not too sure if most companies are ever too busy to say no to a big order. :)

Last edited:

nullptr

Train Attendant
I forgot the new passenger cars for the Cascades service was lumped into this as well. WSDOT gave a very brief update on Monday to the Washington House Transportation Committee. Only thing new information as far as I can tell is that they expected delivery in 2025. The fact that the Cascades have brand new Chargers also makes me skeptical they would go purely with a DMU option.