RFP issued for Amfleet I replacement

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
feel that an opportunity is being missed to bilevel more trains which would have added capacity.
I quite like that they are starting to standardize their intercity fleet more. The only outliers will be the Piedmont, Capitol Corridor, and Pacific Surfliner I believe.

I quite like that they are starting to standardize their intercity fleet more. The only outliers will be the Piedmont, Capitol Corridor, and Pacific Surfliner I believe.
North Carolina will be using Amtrak leased equipment on the Piedmont. They are getting out of the business of doing their own cars. This order contains sets targeted for use in NC.

North Carolina will be using Amtrak leased equipment on the Piedmont. They are getting out of the business of doing their own cars. This order contains sets targeted for use in NC.
Oh, well even better then.

Looks like the're coming to the PNW first.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/amtrak-plan-to-replace-dozens-of-aging-trains-cost-7-3b/
“We look forward to the delivery of the new trains for Amtrak Cascades service. They will enhance the passenger experience on one of the most beautiful train routes in the country,” said Ron Pate, Washington State Department of Transportation Director of Rail, Freight and Ports. “Since our trains will be the first off the assembly line, it’s exciting they’ll be unveiled in the Pacific Northwest.”

This article states "In addition to the Northeast Regional, other routes that will be serviced by the new fleet include the Adirondack, Carolinian, Cascades, Downeaster, Empire Service, Ethan Allen Express, Keystone Service, Maple Leaf, New Haven/Springfield Service (Amtrak Hartford Line and Valley Flyer), Pennsylvanian, Vermonter and Virginia Services."

No surprises to me except for the Cascades, which is a geographic outlier and I had the impression Oregon and Washington might have had their own plans, but I guess the price was right. I think this is great news overall. Siemens Venture is a solid product from a manufacturer with a good reputation...if anyone can build a fleet that will stand up to the rigors of Amtrak service, it's them. I'm not sure about the semi-permanently coupled trainsets though, and I also feel that an opportunity is being missed to bilevel more trains which would have added capacity.

Washington announced a year or two ago that they would join with Amtrak on the equipment order to replace their Talgo 6s which they were all to happy to get rid of.

Considering that the city splinters are relatively new, and I'm surprised Amtrak is ditching them already.

The press releases keep mentioning dual mode locomotives and saving time when switching between electric and diesel. Sounds like they are electric multiple units, it something similar.
However it probably won't be another 10 years till they are delivered or put into service, possibly more. So they aren't ditching them immediately.

The press releases keep mentioning dual mode locomotives and saving time when switching between electric and diesel. Sounds like they are electric multiple units, it something similar.
Nothing will be ditched. There will be dual modes replacing the P42s used in extended NEC service. You are reading more into it than intended. The pure electric WAS to BOS and Keystones will continue to use the Sprinters.

JIS: Correct that 17 train sets for New York is puzzling. If you figure 3 in normal maintenance that leaves 14 sets for day to day operation. Maple leaf is an outlier . The 2 RTs to / from Buffalo will need 4 train sets. However they will be able to cover one or more trips to ALB <> NYP The 7 total additional ALB <> NYP RTS should be covered by the maybe 4 additional sets . that does leave the 6 train sets available for what ??

Now how to handle the food service that may change might lock some sets into longer distance assignments.

I wonder if Amtrak will operate Empire Service trains in battery mode while in Sunnyside yard to reduce noise and pollution.

Also, does anyone know if Regional trains will still be 8 cars long?

I was surprised that Amtrak’s press release also includes sets for the Palmetto, a LD train. Mixed feelings about that as it’s a route that should be extended to FL, although it would be feasible to turn the train in JAX rather than Savannah as was done in the past.

Not every train that runs the corridor goes off into non-electrified territory. It's really only the Virginia trains and the Vermonter. The Empire Service trains only need electric for about 5 minutes or so when running into Penn Station. I would suspect the that battery hybrids would be fine for this. I think there will be plenty of work for the Sprinters between the long-distance trains that are run through the NEC, the Northeast Regionals that terminate in Washington and the Keystone service. None of these trains need dual-mode locomotives.

For what it may be worth here is one of the configuration lists that I picked up for the 83 train sets about two months back as I recall. There may have been minor tweaks done to this before finalization of the order, but this is a pretty good approximation of the shape of things. Of course, at some point we will get the official word on what is in the final order. Treat this as hearsay, but an useful data point for a draft.

Siemens Amtrak order maybe.jpg
Note that the 70 Regional trains are all fully semi-permanently coupled. The WashDOT trains are entirely standard H couplers and the shorter 8 consists are two semi-permanently coupled pairs and two single cars with H couplers, without any Cab car.

Again, the details may have changed in the actual final order.

I was surprised that Amtrak’s press release also includes sets for the Palmetto, a LD train. Mixed feelings about that as it’s a route that should be extended to FL, although it would be feasible to turn the train in JAX rather than Savannah as was done in the past.
Well it's for Amfleet Is, doesn't the Palmetto use Amfleet Is?

For what it may be worth here is one of the configuration lists that I picked up for the 83 train sets about two months back as I recall. There may have been minor tweaks done to this before finalization of the order, but this is a pretty good approximation of the shape of things. Of course, at some point we will get the official word on what is in the final order. Treat this as hearsay, but an useful data point for a draft.

View attachment 23513
Note that the 70 Regional trains are all fully semi-permanently coupled. The WashDOT trains are entirely standard H couplers and the shorter 8 consists are two semi-permanently coupled pairs and two single cars with H couplers, without any Cab car.

Again, the details may have changed in the actual final order.
I love the look of the Cascade livery, the normal one doesn't look terrible either, but I'm not in love.

[
I love the look of the Cascade livery, the normal one doesn't look terrible either, but I'm not in love.
At least Amtrak trains will look cohesive again, a big plus when majority of your potential passengers see you for the first time at a grade crossing.

Interesting that they’re calling the food service cars diner-lounge and not cafe cars. Amtrak semantics again
I'm actually pleasantly surprised Amtrak is going with cafe lounge cars instead of cafe/coaches given they choose not to have seating in the Avelia Liberty cafe cars. The above chart works out to a 7 car NER trainset: 2 business class cars, 3 economy cars, a cafe car, and an economy cab car.

Back