Riding EB #8 on Sept 22nd SEA to CHI, Should I rebook?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brad

I am curious, based on so many of the experts on this site, if given the current state of dryness and wild fires in Montan, should I rebook on another long distance train? I can get a cheap flight down to LA to ride the Southwest Chief....or maybe some other alternatives....

I'm traveling on the EB next week and I'm also interested in knowing what the experts on this forum suggest.

3 Choices

1) The California Zephyr #6 from EMY to CHI

2) The SWC #4 from LAX to CHI

3) The Sunset/Eagle #422 LAX-CHI( only 3 days a week but most Train Time)

Last edited by a moderator:
,If I were traveling today, I'd personally chose my route in jimhudson's order. I'd take #6 over #4 over #422. There's no way I'd voluntarily sit on an overnight bus for 400-500 miles, which is what #8 is doing. I'm too old for that stuff.

On the other hand, who knows what the conditions will be in a month? I've traveled the Hi Line for 50 years, man and boy, and I've often been surprised.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a tough call. I think it's too early to rebook for the end of September right now, but I would keep a close eye on the conditions, and then reconsider maybe a week before your departure date. I did change from the Builder to the Zephyr leaving Chicago on Aug. 30, since I could afford the time and the AGR points. But not everyone has that flexibility.

Who knows what conditions will be like in a month? If you're traveling next week, then thinking about a reroute is probably in order.

Thanks, I'm scheduled to travel from Chicago to Seattle next week and I'm booked in a sleeper. I am not pleased about the prospect of a bustitution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back