Riding Long Distance Alone

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only encountered one creep in coach. The other times, everyone was perfectly nice and friendly and/or kept to themselves.

Since you wanted an example, mkeroad, I'll tell the story. I seriously doubt you are creepy, though. :)

We were in coach from Chicago to Albuquerque. Our car was mostly empty from Chicago to Kansas City, filled up at Kansas City, and then emptied out again in La Junta, CO. This meant it was really only full during the overnight portion. It made for an excellent trip, as we were able to spread out during the daytime.

Anyway, this dirty (grease on his face), smelly guy with oily, unwashed hair boarded in Chicago and was assigned a seat several rows back from us. He moved up about an hour later, which was fine since a lot of people were spreading out. (The car attendant had said we could, as long as we understood he might have to move us back later.) He kept leering at women in the car and kept trying to chat them up. When they ignored him, he moved on.

He ended up sitting across from us and kept smiling at me, nonstop, just staring at me, even though I was reading a book and politely ignoring him. He started going, "Hey... hey..." I finally turned and asked, "Yes?" in the most annoyed tone of voice possible, and he just grinned at me. This happened one more time, at which point Brent turned to me and asked, "Babe, do you want the window seat? There's some nice scenery coming up." (Bless his heart.) Once we switched and I reclined to a comfy position, Brent angled his seat back so I wasn't in the guy's line of sight.

Later, the guy was sitting near some young ladies who'd boarded in Kansas City. An hour later, during quiet hours, one of the young ladies was walking up and down the aisle. She noticed I was still awake and asked if she could use my cell phone. I nodded and whispered, "Just make sure you go to the lounge car." She said, "Oh, I'm just going to call my phone. Somebody took it, and I need to find it." About 20 minutes later, she brought it back to me and thanked me.

The next morning, we got off for the smoke stop in La Junta, and she came up to thank me again. She said the creepy guy had her phone, and he played "Keep Away" to the point she had to lean into and reach across his lap to grab it from his hand. (Ugh.) He refused to give her the phone charger, so I told her to tell a conductor about it and include the part about taking her phone and then basically forcing her to touch him.

Meanwhile, I was trying to get some pictures of Brent, and the creepy guy kept leaping into the photos. He'd stick his tongue out and then laugh at me. I thought Brent was going to punch him after a couple minutes of that, so we got back on the train.

Creepy Guy got off at the next stop. I'm not sure if it was his stop or if the conductor had put him off the train. I'm hoping it was the latter.

Last edited by a moderator:
:( No-one, Male or Female, should have to put up with Creeps like this Sicko, wish ya'll would have told the Conductor sooner so his Butt could have been put off @ the Next Stop, hopefully in the Middle of Nowhere like Sanderson, Texas or Similar!

Putting together the various creeps (and the many, many times I've traveled on trains without encountering more than just the one), I can draw my own conclusions:

1. Creeps are rare on Amtrak trains.
  2. You are as likely to run into a creep in any public place, even walking down the street, as on the train.
  3. "Creeps" are obviously people who have psychological problems, and at least somewhat worthy of pity (as long as they aren't in my personal space), and
  4. If they can't keep to themselves and not bother other people, the train is one of the safer places to be, because there are authority figures (Car Attendant, Conductor) who can put them in their place, or even off the train.
In my case, the creep was sufficiently controlled by the threat of being put off the train. That brings up this thought: it's better to report a creep before the situation becomes so bad that their being put off the train is the necessary solution. A nice talking-to from the Conductor ("These are the rules. There is no flexibility. Don't invade other passengers' space, keep that cigarette in your pocket, don't open any doors or windows, or we'll have to take the appropriate action") can de-fuse a situation. before it becomes critical.

Putting together the various creeps (and the many, many times I've traveled on trains without encountering more than just the one), I can draw my own conclusions:

1. Creeps are rare on Amtrak trains.
  2. You are as likely to run into a creep in any public place, even walking down the street, as on the train.
  3. "Creeps" are obviously people who have psychological problems, and at least somewhat worthy of pity (as long as they aren't in my personal space), and
  4. If they can't keep to themselves and not bother other people, the train is one of the safer places to be, because there are authority figures (Car Attendant, Conductor) who can put them in their place, or even off the train.
In my case, the creep was sufficiently controlled by the threat of being put off the train. That brings up this thought: it's better to report a creep before the situation becomes so bad that their being put off the train is the necessary solution. A nice talking-to from the Conductor ("These are the rules. There is no flexibility. Don't invade other passengers' space, keep that cigarette in your pocket, don't open any doors or windows, or we'll have to take the appropriate action") can de-fuse a situation. before it becomes critical.
I agree with all of this. Excellent points. :)

I do want to add the requisite "But" to all the above...

Whereas I just about completely agree with most folks' comments, I do want to remind you that situational awareness is key.

Here are a couple of my experiences..... There are those who travel in two in a roomette and can't wait to break out for freedom and space. :D

The one time I saw a single female traveller get creeped out was a beautiful young woman travelling alone in the roomette across from me from WAS to CHI on the Capitol Limited. The "creep" was an SA taking dinner reservations. Me, being an old fat big brute, he spent about 28 seconds with. He spent nearly a half hour with this woman - even being so presumptuous as to take residence in the seat across from her (without invitation) to tell her all the fine points of dining in the diner, or how he would ensure that if she preferred a quiet private meal at her roomette, he would ensure that it would be completely taken care of.

Poor gal, who up until that moment had her door open, kept it closed for darn near the entire trip.

To that end, I would also like to remind you that you DO have your privacy in sleeper with a locking door (from the inside only) and privacy curtain. Just be aware of your surroundings.

One way I like to pass the time is by spending about the most amount of time I can at each meal in the Diner - particularly for Breakfast and Lunch when its light outside and they aren't clamoring for tables to turn over. Then, often in the middle of the night, I'll wander to the Lounge and see what interesting characters are lurking about.

Be open, be aware, be safe, and if you feel creeped out about ANYTHING, let a crew member know.

Thanks for the stories. I can't wait for the conversation and I'm sure meeting new friends.

You should have no problems riding alone as we have found that most sleeper passengers are old fogies like us ...
Am I the only one noticing a lot more non-geriatric sleeping car passengers lately. I not talking just Summer vacation time, but early February.

You should have no problems riding alone as we have found that most sleeper passengers are old fogies like us ...
Am I the only one noticing a lot more non-geriatric sleeping car passengers lately. I not talking just Summer vacation time, but early February.
I've noticed this also Paul! Lots of Middle Aged Folks, Kids and Babies (including more families) in the Sleepers on the the Eagle and the Sunset through Texas!

My girlfriend once had a bad experience on 48 with a member of the crew. He kept talking to her, flirting, etc. This was her first overnight, solo train ride. She politely told him she was not interested. He persisted a bit and she told him no again. He got the message and left her alone.

She told me this story and I instructed her in what info to provide when complaining. She ended up getting a credit that paid for a second rt to NYC. This was in the days of warrington when vouchers for everything were the norm.

She's had no problems on the other trips she took. She's quiet, but knows how to quietly assert herself.

I think the crew these days are much less likely to be an issue.

If you have a problem, notify the conductor sooner rather than later.

Problem solved, my oldest daughter decided to fly to Newark to visit and return to NO on the train, plus bonus since she is disabled we are getting the H room and I'm her traveling companion. She says I'm gonna have to sleep in the top bunk-me, 57, kinda plump, and in the top bunk.lol

I hope you have a wonderful trip. The H-Rooms have space and the bathroom is

most convenient. Enjoy.

Problem solved, my oldest daughter decided to fly to Newark to visit and return to NO on the train, plus bonus since she is disabled we are getting the H room and I'm her traveling companion. She says I'm gonna have to sleep in the top bunk-me, 57, kinda plump, and in the top bunk.lol
No problema! The H Room on Viewliners is almost like a Small Apartment with a Spacious Enclosed Bathroom, Plenty of Floor Space and the Top Bunk isnt that hard to climb into/out of with the Ladder! Plus you have the Window up top and if youre in the Sleeper next to the Diner it's about a 20 Foot Walk to go eat! Ya'll will Love it! ;)

That's because the H-room is priced for those who qualify between the prices of a Roomette and bedroom. Also the disabled fare is a 15% discount for the qualified person (your daughter) AND the companion (you)! :)

So we will be leaving Newark , H room 1910 on the Crescent, will we be riding backwards and are we right next to dining car? Heading to NO. Somehow when the first part of the trip starts in the evening it makes the time go by faster.

The H room is on the lower level near the shower room. To get to the dining car you must go up the steps and then turn right or left depending on which way the car is oriented. The car attendant's room and station is at the top of the stairs. The car attendant will bring food if either of you has trouble getting to the top of the stairs and into the dining room. There should be a menu in the H room. Ask if there is not.

The H room is on the lower level near the shower room. To get to the dining car you must go up the steps and then turn right or left depending on which way the car is oriented. The car attendant's room and station is at the top of the stairs. The car attendant will bring food if either of you has trouble getting to the top of the stairs and into the dining room. There should be a menu in the H room. Ask if there is not.
She's on a viewliner (single level).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back