Riding Long Distance Alone

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cassie225

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
We'll everyone I made it to Newark and the ride was great. We got there early and talking about smooth ride. I had company coming up, but will have to return to NO alone. I think my family trying to force me on a plane. Not gonna happen. I will be riding the full 30 hours alone, in a sleeper, but alone. I'm feeling kinda anxious about that. Going up we rarely saw our attendant, but I didn't feel alone because I had people with me. I'm a little afraid as this will be my first time by myself. I'll be on the crescent. Suggestions.

You've nothing to worry about. If you have a laptop or DVD player grab a couple of movies or else a few good books to help while away the hours. When you're ready to stretch your legs, take a break and walk down to the cafe car and strike up a conversation with some of your fellow passengers. Learn to enjoy just looking out the window at the scenery rolling by at 79 mph. Enjoy your trip!

Cassie, I have ridden alone so many times. I've gone all over the country alone, both in coach and in a sleeper. Nothing bad has ever happened. Absolutely nothing. Just relax and enjoy the trip, you'll be just fine.

Relax and enjoy the ride. I have made several long distance trips on my own and found the roomette very comfortable when I had it to myself.

You should have no problems riding alone as we have found that most sleeper passengers are old fogies like us and present no security problems :p .

We have had several female passengers riding alone in our cars and some just curl up with their I phones or laptops and others are more gregarious and want to talk or spend time in the cafe car. We had three such passengers that we had meals with in the diner on our last trip to Florida and they stated they were regular train passengers and loved it. Have a good time :)

I had a roomette to myself in December, and it was wonderful! I mostly read, texted my boyfriend, and did homework. I didn't feel unsafe at all. Keep in mind you can lock your roomette door from the inside, and you can shut the curtain if you want more privacy.

I am an old fogie- but I love to talk. I'm gonna give it a go. I was gonna go half way like to ATLANTA ,stop and visit my cousin , then after 2 days go on to NO. Getting on in Newark at 3 in the evening, sleeping and being in Atl in the morning. So maybe that's a plan. I do have 20 or so movies on my ipad.

Think of the trip as your "alone" time! Relax and enjoy the quiet time. If you get lonely, talk with others on the train - including other passengers in you own sleeper. Chances are they are traveling alone also. (Most times, I see roomettes with 1 person only.)

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, riding alone in a sleeper is no problem - I just bring books and read.

Riding alone in coach can be fine, or it can be a problem. I've had kind of aggressive seatmates in the past and even a 'creeper' once....I am kind of antisocial (introvert, but also shy) and I don't like being "forced" to talk when I prefer not to, and I don't like having people seeming to invade my space (like the guy who insisted on sitting in the window seat but then would get up and crawl over me to get to the smoking car, about every hour - that was back when the TE HAD a smoking car).

Perhaps as a woman (and somewhat of a prude) travelling alone, I'm kind of sensitive to this, but I've been approached in ways I'd prefer not to be approached....

If you get lonely, you can go to the lounge to find people to talk to. For me, it's a relief to get AWAY from people....

A year ago I traveled coast-to-coast and back without Hubby (he preferred to stay home so I would stay longer with my family). I loved the "me" time! I loved having the roomettes all to myself, so I could get the bunk with the window and keep my bag handy. There were several older ladies traveling alone in the sleeper cars, at the first dinner we met another one from coach, and we arranged to go in to our meals together. Kind of a "little-old-ladies" social club.

I also very much enjoyed sitting and working on my laptop. I had a BIG video script writing job I'd been putting off till I had the time. I reviewed many hours with my headphones on so the noise would not get on anyone's nerves. In between times, I read and looked out the window and drank tea.

I think the creeps are mostly in coach. My advice to a woman traveling alone in coach would be to ask to be seated with another woman. If that's not possible when you board, and your seatmate is disturbing in any way, take your things and go to the lounge car until a conductor comes by (so you can make the request). Conductors and car attendants are much more sensitive about these needs than they used to be. If you are traveling in sleeper, you have your own private space and I feel that's a big advantage.

I am an older woman and travel in coach all the time. NEVER once have I had an issue with a seat mate being "a creep" If you have a problem with a seat mate, ask to be moved. I almost always take the window seat to make sure that I have something to lean on to sleep. This way, I only have to bother them when I need to get up. I usually wait until the train is stopped to get up and move around anyway, so most of the time the seat mate has already gotten up also. Depending on my mood, I talk if I want to or put earphones in and listen to music. if i can't hear them talking, they usually get the hint that I don't want to talk.

I agree with June. And I certainly do not think "the creeps are mostly in coach"!!!

Well, there was one time when I thought a creep was sitting next to me, but he turned out to be ok. Wherever you are, coach or sleeper, there are plenty of people around and I have found either to be very safe.

Enjoy the solitude. Or, make some friends. Your call. I personally, enjoy shutting out the world in my room, and spend most of a trip in there solo, working, reading, working, and working. I travel by train 4-6 times a year for work, usually solo (occasionally my son will come if his school schedule allows) and it's kindof a "me" break, which is why I do it instead of fly for every trip. Sometimes I just need the 24 hours on a train by myself! Take a book, enjoy the solitude.

I am an old fogie- but I love to talk. I'm gonna give it a go. I was gonna go half way like to ATLANTA ,stop and visit my cousin , then after 2 days go on to NO. Getting on in Newark at 3 in the evening, sleeping and being in Atl in the morning. So maybe that's a plan. I do have 20 or so movies on my ipad.
I always go by myself and I love it! That's the point of my trips. And as an older gal traveling alone I have never felt any type of fear or nervousness at all. I usually have my meals brought to my room because I don't care for the way they do the seating in the dining car. I listen to books on my ipad and like you mention you've got movies but really the best entertainment is right out the window!

Generally, you will find your fellow passengers helpful. At this point, I am still on the side of giving help rather than needing it, but you will see offering and needing help quite often.

OK, i am male, so some concerns do not apply. My one creep was being in coach in front of a cell phone motor mouth that used an average of 2 cuss words per sentence. That was only a four hour traip, and that is my only aggravation out of many trips of varying lengths from a couple of hours to cross-country. OK, most of my longer trips were quite a few years ago. My cross country was upon return from Vietnam. I did not think of then, but I guess no one would have given me trouble at that time A deeply tanned and lean 20 something in late November just about made for a flashing sign saying GI on the way home from Nam, despite me not being in uniform.

Just finished a 2 day, solo, in a roomette. It's wonderful being able to switch seats in a hurry if you miss something out the window.

It was 49 hours, and I didn't even have time to read my complimentary newspapers. (Guess I will save them for my next trip) :giggle:

Being new to the train, maybe it's different after a while, but I just did not have enough time to look out the window. If you are used to traveling with others and being social, maybe enjoy the time alone to really soak in the scenery.

As you have a sleeper, you have the best of both worlds... You can get company and conversation in the diner or lounge cars, and have time out in your room whenever you like. What is not to like?

Ed :cool:

I agree with June. And I certainly do not think "the creeps are mostly in coach"!!!
I'd like to make it clear that in all my travels, there really has been only ONE memorable "creep" that I would have called mentally "off." Perhaps it's just a coincidence that this was in coach (on the Texas Eagle/Sunset Ltd). The conductor made sure he knew the rules, and I was not bothered again.

For the most part, I've really enjoyed the company of the people I met, and the one negative experience could have happened anywhere (indeed, I felt more secure being on a train and being able to report the person to staff).

Alone in a roomette? Sounds like heaven. I could never justify the expense for myself. I've ridden coach overnight several times. Absolutely enjoyable and relaxing every time.

Hello Oregon pioneer, What were the rules in your situation?

I'm taking my first LD trip in a couple weeks and don't want to break any of the creepy rules.

Hello Oregon pioneer, What were the rules in your situation?

I'm taking my first LD trip in a couple weeks and don't want to break any of the creepy rules.
That was back in the time when there was a "dressing room" in the downstairs toilet area (coach) that was designated for women-only. The male passenger was told, not only to stay out of that dressing room, but also to stay away from me as I felt pretty intimidated by his attitude. Anyway, kind of moot point since those dressing rooms are now disignated unisex and I would not use them any more as there is no lock on the outer door.

I think the main "rule" is to be considerate of other passengers. I would have called this particular guy a "creep" because his way of getting what he wanted was to intimidate, not to be considerate.

Well I am glad that you understand that one bad apple DOES NOT spoil the whole bunch. I have traveled many times this past year, all in coach and have never had an issue with anyone. The only issue I ever had was a homeless lady not wanting to let go of my "beautiful purple bag" and that was in the LAUS, but security was near by and helped. I now know not to switch from the CS to Surfliner on a Friday night Surfliner will be late and there may be unfriendly or unsafe people about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back