Riding the San Joaquin

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In May of 2018, on our way to Yosemite National Park, we took the Cardinal from Staunton, VA to Chicago, and the California Zephyr from Chicago to Sacramento. Needless to say the scenery was awesome all the way, but having traveled in both Viewliner and Superliner bedrooms many times before, our enjoyment of the accommations was diminished because it was a bit of the "same old thing": walls between bedrooms rattled, temperature control was ineffective, audio in the room non-operative, windows streaked and scratched, velcro inconsistent--everything seemed old and worn. But then in Sacramento we got on the San Joaquin south to Merced (where we rented a car to drive to Yosemite). And our eyes opened wide. We thought these bi-level cars were glorious--it was hard to believe that they were an Amtrak product--creative seating arrangements, bright colors, attractive cafe car, everything new. The San Joaquin was truly a joy to ride!

My question is this: On what other Amtrak lines are these attractive cars in use? Why are they not more extensively used?

They are in use on the California trains. Jan Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, and Pacific Surfliner.

I believe it’s a CA design and bought by Caltrans. They are now being replaced on the San Joaquin with the single level Siemens cars

Those were California Cars. I know the Pacific Surfliner was mentioned, but they apparently get cars that were designed for that service and are clearly marked for it. They're based off of the California Car design but have some differences.

maxresdefault.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surfliner_(railcar)
I've taken the San Joaquin on a few occasions. They typically use the same cars that may go in and out of service between the San Joaquin and Capitol Corridor. But once I had to make an emergency trip back (didn't get off and had to wait for a ride back in Martinez) where I got on a San Joaquin in a single-level Horizon car. Like these:

Strangely enough, when I've ridden Capitol Corridor, I rather liked the Superliner cafe cars that were made available to Amtrak California. The seats were bigger, they reclined, and the lighting was lower.

Those were California Cars. I know the Pacific Surfliner was mentioned, but they apparently get cars that were designed for that service and are clearly marked for it. They're based off of the California Car design but have some differences.

maxresdefault.jpg

Strangely enough, when I've ridden Capitol Corridor, I rather liked the Superliner cafe cars that were made available to Amtrak California. The seats were bigger, they reclined, and the lighting was lower.
I agree, I rode the Capitol Corridor and found the California cars to be adequate for the short ride, but my return trip was in the Superliner and was much more comfortable.
The California Cars are also 20+ years old, which is why they're buying new cars from Siemens. But, then again, so is Amtrak.

I agree, I rode the Capitol Corridor and found the California cars to be adequate for the short ride, but my return trip was in the Superliner and was much more comfortable.
The California Cars are also 20+ years old, which is why they're buying new cars from Siemens. But, then again, so is Amtrak.

I think the Superliner cafe cars were even older. They weren't in the greatest of condition, but the seats were just so freaking big, they reclined, and I could put up the legrest.

Maybe Amtrak should buy them.
And do what with them exactly?

truthfully the difference between the comfort and modernness of superliners and California cars aren’t that big in my opinion, but the intercity cars tend to be brighter lit and a tad bit more modern.

truthfully the difference between the comfort and modernness of superliners and California cars aren’t that big in my opinion, but the intercity cars tend to be brighter lit and a tad bit more modern.
I have mixed feelings about cars being more brightly lit and more "modern." Back east, in some ways, I prefer the Amfleet 1s over the Acelas because the more indirect lighting in the Amfleets is more relaxing (just my opinion.) The Acelas may be more "modern" but they have the ambience of a commuter railroad car in some ways with their excessively bright direct overhead lighting. Also. my personal tastes, in general, tend to more "old-fashioned" classic decor. The most "modern" stuff I really like is Art Deco (which is from the 1920s to the 1940s.) I'd love to see some of the Metropolitan Clubs done up with decor like that of the lobby of the Williamsburg Inn. Of course, other people have different tastes, so I'm not really bothered at the lounge in Washington, which looks like the furniture was purchased from the same vendor that outfitted the USS Enterprise from Star Trek.

I think the Superliner cafe cars were even older. They weren't in the greatest of condition, but the seats were just so freaking big, they reclined, and I could put up the legrest.
I rode a Superliner coach on the Capitol Limited last June. It was actually in pretty good condition. Not sure when the last cosmetic refurbishment was done, and they are getting one soon.20210609_130512.jpg

I rode a Superliner coach on the Capitol Limited last June. It was actually in pretty good condition. Not sure when the last cosmetic refurbishment was done, and they are getting one soon.View attachment 26556

I had a decent ride on the Coast Starlight a few months ago. However, the Superliner cafe cars passed on to Amtrak California were a little bit older and I don't think the seats were repaired recently. They also had seating on the upper level and the cafe on the lower level. The only long distance train I've been on and the cafe was always on the lower level of the lounge car. But the Superliner cafe cars used by Amtrak California feel almost like a Superliner coach car with the exception of the cafe on the lower level.

I don't know exactly, but I was thinking of the recent losses to accidents, etc. Maybe they could refurbish them to the new upgrade standard.
I don't know if they are any good as they are.

I love the California cars… sad to see them go. IMO the top level of a California car can’t be beat. I do want to ride the san Joaquin’s eventually to compare how the Siemens cars feel from a comfort perspective

Have the cafe cars arrived yet? (With vending machines).

I remember coming West in 2001 or so on a business trip for few weeks and I rode the Pacific Surfliner cars for the first time (LA to San Diego), then Coast Starlight up to the Pacific Northwest to eventually travel to Vancouver, BC. Got a taste of the Talgo train set - still in its "Las Vegas" livery. Back east the only variant at that time seemed to be the new Acela Express train set.

So to be on the West coast at the turn of the century to take in and ride this new equipment - it was quite surreal! It was if the West Coast was a different type of Amtrak - and to a degree it was. The train sets seemed more modern, cleaner, and more comfortable to ride. Even the stations and infrastructure had modernity to it!

There was actually more of a reason to buy a business class ticket - you got more than just a free drink and a newspaper! A continental breakfast being offered in the business class of the Pacific Surfliner (back then) and then breakfast northbound along Puget Sound in the Talgo train set heading to Vancouver, BC (discount meal voucher and free drinks). To see it now being up for replacement (Horizons back in the PNW) - never would have thought.....

Waiting for the new Siemans cars to at least go into service........

Back