Riding the Shanghai Maglev

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There isn’t all that much I can write about what ended up being roughly 18 minutes of actual time on the train, but I wanted to take a minute and share my thoughts and experiences onboard the Shanghai Meglev train. They only run the train at its max speed of 430 km/h (267 MPH) for a few hours a day. Luckily I caught the last train of the day that would reach that speed. A round trip in “coach” was 80RMB or roughly $13. There is a VIP/ First Class section of the train for and additional fee even though its an 8 minute ride.

The maglev line connects to the Shanghai Metro line 2 at Longyang Rd., and all you have to do is walk out of the subway station and across a street to the maglev terminal. The crosswalk is covered so making the transfer in the rain wouldn’t be a big deal. Once inside the terminal you can purchase your tickets, and proceeded through the security checkpoint. All of the security I’ve encountered here in China is very simple you just drop your bag in an x-ray machine, and pick it up on the other side. After that you can head to the platform where the train leaves every 15 to 20 minutes depending on the time of day. There was a train set already waiting on the platform when I arrived, so I boarded a coach car which was 3 by 3 seating.

The ride itself was much bumpier then I expected. There is a lot of vibration and side to side movement. The train really leans into the turns much more than any conventional rail I’ve ever ridden. You really do feel almost like you are flying as you reach 400 km/h and still photography out the window becomes pretty much impossible. I took some video while traveling at the max speed that I will post.

The ride comes to end much to quickly as you slow down and arrive at the Pudong International Airport. Where I was allowed to wait on the platform to reboard the same equipment to head back to Longyang Rd. The platform attendant even allowed me to ride in the “first class” car, which had 2 by 2 seating, but more importantly provided a view of the cab, and a way to see the tracks in front. This was a very neat angle.

You can see all the pictures here

The last thing in that gallery is a short video clip of the train at its top speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ni Hao Stephen,

Thank you for the pictures and video!! I'm glad you were awake for the train ride,

unlike the Talgo!!

Shanghai has changed a great deal from the time I worked there.

I rode bikes at the original Shanghai Airport runway on Sundays.

There were only 3 flights per day back in 1986. No security and

we had to carry our luggage to the airplane. No seat assignments

so everyone crowded to get on the airplane!!

I hope you have a wonderful visit to the PRC.

Regards,

Shanghai.

Did you get 3X AGR points for the ride?
rolleyes.gif
Nice report - it's great to see what $$$ will buy! And I'm not too surprised by the bumpy ride - I find the AE to ride rougher than a Regional.

Kinda cool to see what it's like to go that fast! But, not sure if I'd enjoy a LD trip the fast.. As you said, kinda hard to take photos going the fast. Can't look at something and think.

I rode the maglev shortly before the Olympics and noted the same thing about the ride.

A bit bumpy like a subway car. Not as smooth as say a TGV. And the G forces are high as well despite the heavy cant. It follows the expressway to the airport so the radius is probably tighter than the TGV but 1.5 X faster!

Agree would not be good for long distance but a TGV I could ride all day. Very smooth and comfortable.

Back