Ringling Bros Circus Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry H.

Conductor
Today I was in our small town post office where the windows look out on the CSX rail road tracks about 30 feet away.. As I was getting ready to leave when the Ringling Brothers circus train came rolling past. First I was just struck by the fact that other than one time seeing it stationary near the circus in St. Louis a long time ago, I had never seen it pass anywhere near me while running.. We kept watching the passenger cars going by and it seemed endless. I couldn't help thinking of the facts I have seen that said a passenger train couldn't be over so many cars.. This train was amazing for its length.. I wasn't able to count the cars but it must have been over 30 passenger cars. Then came the animals and other flat bed cars with trucks and equipment for another 20 or so.. I don't know what it was about seeing that train go by, but it brought back a flood of memories of how things used to be and when a passenger train had a certain look and was impressive to see passing by. And if nothing else the sheer history of the train was amazing to experience. It still has me enthralled even though its now passed by for an hour or more.

I wondered how they arrange to use the various tracks. Passengers come though town on the CNN track that it crosses at an angle in Odin IL, but I have never seen a passenger train going on the CSX tracks an that alone was a thrill.

Larry

It is an impressive sight! I've been privliged to run it on a few occasions, and coordinate it's yarding when it comes to town from time to time. Basically, it's run as a freight train with freight train brakes as opposed to passenger train brakes, which are called "graduated release brakes". (which, I assume the Auto Train is as well? Not sure if they have different brakes on the AT Passenger cars, of if the autoracks used are equipped with passenger equipment? Never thought about that!) It's equipped with the regular freight car brake valves as I recall. It's fun to watch them unload the animals and march them over to the arena/forum where they will be doing the shows. While in town, the cars still serve as the home away from home for the performers, it's interesting to watch them set up camp, the minute the cars are spotted, the lawn chairs, satalite dishes, bikes, etc come out, and they get settled in at whatever rail yard they're parked at. I've been lucky enough to have lunch on board their cafe car a few times, had a good burger. I understand that unlike regular passenger cars, these are set up as mini-apartments, including the ability to do some cooking, either through microwaves or hotplates, but they also have a diner that serves up specials, burgers, sandwiches etc. It's truly a rolling villiage, including teachers for the kids to continue with school, and pretty much anything else you could need on board. It's pretty neat. I haven't bee involved with it in several years, but it's something to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw the train a few years ago, when it was parked on a siding in the Bay area of northern California. It was an impressive sight indeed. I was on the northbound CS at the time as we passed it by, and as it was in the evening, it was IMHO even more impressive as it was all lit up.

Aloha

If you go to my gallery you will see the pictures and video of the blue train visit to Vegas this year. They place the HEP car in the middle because of the length. It looks very much like any of the other cars. The cast and crew live on the train for their complete tour.

In August, while I was playing at the beach with my family in Cardiff, we went over to the restaurant Las Olas on the little strip of land along the 101. Looking across the lagoon, maybe at 1 in the afternoon with my ceviche, I saw 4 BNSF locomotives appear, all in their orange-ish paint scheme. They were pulling the entire circus train at a steady 4-50, so not that fast. Going only 40-50, I wondered how they did over Miramar Grade! I honestly do not know where in San Diego they would park the train, since the Sports Arena, the likely venue, is likely 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile from the tracks. Regardless, it was VERY neat to see.

In August, while I was playing at the beach with my family in Cardiff, we went over to the restaurant Las Olas on the little strip of land along the 101. Looking across the lagoon, maybe at 1 in the afternoon with my ceviche, I saw 4 BNSF locomotives appear, all in their orange-ish paint scheme. They were pulling the entire circus train at a steady 4-50, so not that fast. Going only 40-50, I wondered how they did over Miramar Grade! I honestly do not know where in San Diego they would park the train, since the Sports Arena, the likely venue, is likely 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile from the tracks. Regardless, it was VERY neat to see.
That doesn't seem like very far for the animals. They generally troop them through city streets and I think in LA they have to go at least a mile.

Aloha
If you go to my gallery you will see the pictures and video of the blue train visit to Vegas this year. They place the HEP car in the middle because of the length. It looks very much like any of the other cars. The cast and crew live on the train for their complete tour.
In the video I counted 42 passenger cars and 19 flat cars. That is the longest I have ever seen.

The Amtrak AutoTrain usally has 16 -20 passengers cars and 20 90' (Bi/Tri level) autoracks for a total of 40 cars. The AutoTrain is one of two trains equiped with Superliner I & II's on the East Coast; and has two modified diners as lounge cars in place of using the Sightseer Lounge car.

The RB&BB circus has two 60 car trains (Blue/Red Train). They are a rolling city with its own limited maintenance crew and two powers (generator) cars. The passenger cars are older 40&50 vintage or in Amtrak terms "Heritage", modified and refurbursed acording to its assigned useage. You will find 4 wheeled trucks as well as 6 wheeled trucks under the cars.

Back