Ripper magazine with railway maps

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcropod

Lead Service Attendant
Every now and then I buy a few railway and railway modelling magazines and when I did so in my rural Victorian village earlier this week I found amongst those in the rack a little ripper of one.

This one however wasn't on modelling, but was called Railroad Maps. It was clearly a USA magazine, the title showed that, as did the fact that it was listed as being for display until "April 20, 2020". It's dated "Special 2020" and is Vol. 2. It looks like its list price in the USA is $9.95.

Its contents are a series of maps of various mostly USA railways, but also includes Oz and Canada. It has national, as well as city maps. All very fascinating just for me, who likes maps and railways, but likely of direct relevance for those in this forum who use the various US lines described.

It's a little ripper, right enough. I'd have been delighted to have had this on my tour of Amtrak and Via Rail a wee while ago.

What a happy surprise to find it in Buninyong here in Oz, such a long way from most of the places covered.

Ripper” as Australian slang first appeared in print in the early 1970s (although it may be older in oral use), but it is derived from “ripper” used as a slang noun in Britain to mean “something excellent” beginning in the early 18th century (“You have a ripper of a city to see,” London Magazine, 1825).

Link: http://www.word-detective.com/2011/01/ripper/

Back