Road Rail accident even in the middle of the Outback.....

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcropod

Lead Service Attendant
Translation note for non-Oz readers, a "ute" is the abbreviation of "utility vehicle", a vehicle type created in Oz in the mid-1930s so the farmer could go to church on Sunday then take the pigs to market on Monday. It's what some US-arians like to call a truck or light truck, but it's the size of a sedan and requires only an ordinary motor vehicle licence. It usually has only a bench seat in the cabin for driver and passenger(s), and a tray behind.

Anyway, this sad story is about how one came off second-best when it met a cross-continental goods train south of the site where the north-south and east-west lines cross, so you'd reckon drivers there would be alert to trains, eh?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-16/ute-driver-killed-in-crash-with-freight-train/100995160

Those BACs are so high unbelievable. That Gets a trip to the hoosegow!

Welcome to Australia, west point :-(

And this was right at the start of the Easter four-day weekend, where everybody knows the cops are all over the roads and traffic misbehaviour usually comes with double-points penalties. But some people are so thick, eh?

Those BACs are so high unbelievable. That Gets a trip to the hoosegow!
This message meant no sense to me until I opened the link and read the item following that about the train-vehicle collision. It talked about a traffic accident between drunk drivers. "BAC" = blood alcohol reading, which was over twice that which is the normal US limit and probably far above the Aussie limit as well.

This message meant no sense to me until I opened the link and read the item following that about the train-vehicle collision. It talked about a traffic accident between drunk drivers. "BAC" = blood alcohol reading, which was over twice that which is the normal US limit and probably far above the Aussie limit as well.

More than *four* times our national-standard 0.05. That is, if you are a fully-licenced driver and using a car rather than a heavier vehicle (which may require a zero reading). Those readings are outriders though I think as most people know to pull their heads in when on the roads. But then again, here in Victoria, we had a woman pinged doing more than 250kph on a nearby freeway on the Easter weekend, so there are dingbats about regardless of laws or community compliance.

More than *four* times our national-standard 0.05. That is, if you are a fully-licenced driver and using a car rather than a heavier vehicle (which may require a zero reading). Those readings are outriders though I think as most people know to pull their heads in when on the roads. But then again, here in Victoria, we had a woman pinged doing more than 250kph on a nearby freeway on the Easter weekend, so there are dingbats about regardless of laws or community compliance.
Realize we are getting off the original subject here, however, to carry on the above thought, I am not keeping up with it since 1. I don't drink, period, and, 2. if I did I would make sure to not be driving if I had been, so I am not really sure what the current US limit is. I believe the current limit is 0.08. Years past it was as high as 0.15 in some states, but that time is long gone.

250 kph!!! Wow! for those that think in mph, that is 155 mph.

2. if I did I would make sure to not be driving if I had been, so I am not really sure what the current US limit is. I believe the current limit is 0.08.
Some states now use .05 but in all honesty nobody knows the difference when they're drinking. I wish we had cheap and accurate consumer grade testing so people outside of a legal or laboratory setting could see how little it takes to put you over the limit (especially if you have a high tolerance).

Last edited:
Realize we are getting off the original subject here, however, to carry on the above thought, I am not keeping up with it since 1. I don't drink, period, and, 2. if I did I would make sure to not be driving if I had been, so I am not really sure what the current US limit is. I believe the current limit is 0.08. Years past it was as high as 0.15 in some states, but that time is long gone.

250 kph!!! Wow! for those that think in mph, that is 155 mph.

That's faster than the Acela.

Back