Roanoke Overnight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daybeers

Conductor
While on a trip to D.C., I have always wanted to visit family I have in Roanoke and take the train. However, the times (of which I’m guessing for this summer through tedious searches in Arrow because Amtrak took off all their schedules; thanks Gardner!) don’t allow for much time overnight: arrives 9:55 PM weekdays with weekends only 22 minutes earlier, and best departure is on weekends which is still 8:55 AM. 11 hours in the dark doesn’t allow one to explore much of a place, so what’s the easiest way to do a single overnight in Roanoke involving the train on at least one leg with the rest on buses; no flying. Starting from NHV most likely, so I’d probably want to stop in D.C. on the way there or back for at least two nights to visit.

Not the answer you want, but to see the best of Roanoke, from a railfan standpoint, spend two nights. Then you can enjoy a full day and visit the O Winston Link Museum and the Virginia Museum of Transportation. And for lodging, you can’t beat the classic former Norfolk and Western Hotel Roanoke where the museums and station are a short walk.

Greyhound is the only intercity bus company in Roanoke. It picks up across the parking lot from the Amtrak platform. Unfortunately, it appears the only northbound bus towards Washington/Philadelphia/New York leaves at 5:25am and goes to Richmond for a transfer.

We're expecting a second daily train to RNK in 2022 with a morning arrival from Washington and an afternoon departure back.

Back