Rocky Mountaineer makes the news

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.rockymountaineer.com/train-routes/rockies-red-rocks-classic-0?package=a754R000000TcdQQAS
Looks like one does get a ride on some trackage that is not used normally by passenger trains - the industrial spur from CP Brendel on the route of the California Zephyr to the siding at CP Emkay, which is close to Moab, and used also by a Uranium mining operation apparently. This spur actually ends further on beyond Moab, on the Colorado River at a Potash mining operation, called unsurprisingly "Potash".

Those Glass Dome cars are not the bi-level cars used in the Canadian Rockies.

Since we can't cross the border to take the Rocky Mountaineer in Canada it is
a great idea to bring the train across the border to see our Rockies.

Rocky Mountaineer website:

Home (rockymountaineer.com)

There are some dozen packages (Red Rocks) Train between Denver and Moab with an overnight stop at Glenwood Springs
There are ways to make these one-way trips into round trips
From Moab there are Motor Coach excursions to National Parks - Monuments - Las Vegas and Salt Lake City

Last edited:
From Denver the tracks flirt (parallel) with I70 and the Colorado river crossing the continental divide
From Glenwood Springs the tracks parallel I70 to the Junction of Highway 191
at Crescent Junction (west of Thompson Springs) then parallel that Hy 191 to the Junction of 279 at that point there is
an Uranium Mining siding that looks to be the staging place at the end of the line for turning the train around for the trip back.
The tracks do go on thru a tunnel to that Potash facility as posted by jis.

Google Map LINK
Blow it up Zoom it In and Out to follow the tracks - - - - - You will really need to ZOOOM it in to see the tracks and when the
tracks disappear voila a tunnel find out where it comes out on the other end - fun !

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2012185,-107.2814676,263717m/data=!3m1!1e3

We looked at taking the Rocky Mountaineer and decided that for the price of a 2 day journey (cheapest trip), we could take Amtrak sleepers in (high priced) June from the east to Grand Junction (GJT), pay for a rental car and 10 days of hotels in GJ, Moab and in between. We go this June.

But, you don't get to ride the rail to Moab...

From Denver the tracks flirt (parallel) with I70 and the Colorado river crossing the continental divide
From Glenwood Springs the tracks parallel I70 to the Junction of Highway 191
at Crescent Junction (west of Thompson Springs) then parallel that Hy 191 to the Junction of 279 at that point there is
an Uranium Mining siding that looks to be the staging place at the end of the line for turning the train around for the trip back.
The tracks do go on thru a tunnel to that Potash facility as posted by jis.

Google Map LINK
Blow it up Zoom it In and Out to follow the tracks - - - - - You will really need to ZOOOM it in to see the tracks and when the
tracks disappear voila a tunnel find out where it comes out on the other end - fun !

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2012185,-107.2814676,263717m/data=!3m1!1e3

Found the other end of tunnel. It's hidden in a shadow .

But, you don't get to ride the rail to Moab...
I could now afford ten days in western Colorado and eastern Utah instead of two.

In any case, as mentioned elsewhere, we cancelled our Amtrak trip until such time as real meals are served. I have lots of other priorities for things to see to waste my money on misery and I didn't want to fly there in these Covid times (or, actually, any time).

The July issue of TRAINS magazine has an interesting photo article about the END of the line at Moab - a potash mining operation.
Gorgeous Red Rock formations and YES this is an extremely $$$$ priced excursion with lots of options.

The price isn’t too crazy.
$1100 for a 2-day train trip, meals included.

I’m seeing about the same price ($1044) for a roomette on the zephyr this summer.

The price isn’t too crazy.
$1100 for a 2-day train trip, meals included.

I’m seeing about the same price ($1044) for a roomette on the zephyr this summer.
A roomette on the Zephyr between where and where? If it was Chicago to Emeryville, that's a 3 day trip. And on the Rocky Mountaineer, you sleep in a hotel (and have dinner in a regular restaurant). Two completely different products. You should be comparing prices with other tourist train excursions, not a common carrier that goes from one place to the other.

Not same oranges apples bananas pears and apricots - - -

Zephyr -
all day/night trip -
sleeping eating lounging all in the same train car -
checked baggage service ? no portage -
train travels at track speed between points -
travels at night -
questionable class of service

R M -
daylight trip -
lounging viewing and *some meals on the train -
* evening dinners not on train -
sleeping separate hotel accommodations -
complete baggage service hotel to hotel each night
leisure pace speed w/narration -
all First Class service w/ comp beverages and liquor

You should be comparing prices with other tourist train excursions, not a common carrier that goes from one place to the other.

Do not tell me what to do!!!!! I can compare whatever I want to compare

I know there are differences... that’s obvious.

Also... I didnt start the Amtrak / Rocky Mountaineer price comparison in this thread so I’m not sure why you singled me out but I don’t appreciate it.

Last edited:
Not same oranges apples bananas pears and apricots - - -

Zephyr -
all day/night trip -
sleeping eating lounging all in the same train car -
checked baggage service ? no portage -
train travels at track speed between points -
travels at night -
questionable class of service

R M -
daylight trip -
lounging viewing and *some meals on the train -
* evening dinners not on train -
sleeping separate hotel accommodations -
complete baggage service hotel to hotel each night
leisure pace speed w/narration -
all First Class service w/ comp beverages and liquor
I'd still rather ride the Canadisn or the Zephyr than that Rich persons Land Cruise.

You sound like UK Bob when he's telling us we shouldn't compare the cost of planes and trains but it's all coming out of the same budget anyway so who cares?
Well, some people seem to give the impression that they'll never ride Amtrak because the food service has been downgraded and the fares are too high, but they're interested in this tour, which might serve better food, but won't give you the full long-distance train experience. My preference would be to ride Amtrak to Denver or maybe Grand Junction, getting the full long-distance train ride experience, even if the food isn't so hot, and then rent a car and drive around Colorado and Utah, staying at motels, eating at local restaurants, and seeing the sights. I did plan such a tour and found that doing it myself would be cheaper than organized group tours.

Anyway part of the fun of the "long-distance train ride experience" is that things might not always go according to plan, which makes each ride a bit of an adventure.

Well, some people seem to give the impression that they'll never ride Amtrak because the food service has been downgraded and the fares are too high, but they're interested in this tour, which might serve better food, but won't give you the full long-distance train experience. My preference would be to ride Amtrak to Denver or maybe Grand Junction, getting the full long-distance train ride experience, even if the food isn't so hot, and then rent a car and drive around Colorado and Utah, staying at motels, eating at local restaurants, and seeing the sights. I did plan such a tour and found that doing it myself would be cheaper than organized group tours.

Anyway part of the fun of the "long-distance train ride experience" is that things might not always go according to plan, which makes each ride a bit of an adventure.
You stole that idea from me. That's exactly the trip I planned but cancelled due to flex meal extension. I plan to do it later this year. Two weeks total including Cardinal to/from Chicago and Zephyr to/from Grand Junction. Rental car and hotels.
I was planning to leave yesterday, June 2.

Well, some people seem to give the impression that they'll never ride Amtrak because the food service has been downgraded and the fares are too high, but they're interested in this tour, which might serve better food, but won't give you the full long-distance train experience.

Well the food had been downgraded and the fares have gone up. That’s already made me choose alternatives like flying.

The Moffatt Tunnel Route is my favorite stretch of railroad anywhere. The Loop around the Andrews Geyser in North Carolina comes in second I think.

The opportunity to ride that route in new to me equipment and with a fancy service for the same price as the zephyr? Sure! I’m going to consider it. Why wouldn’t I?

Back