Rookie Question about casting from phone to TV

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rover

Conductor
Today, I took four short videos with my ZTE Z982 smartphone on the TexRail today. I shot all videos holding the phone horizontally....

Something very curious happened when I went to cast the videos onto my flatscreen TV. Two of the videos displayed horizontally on the flatscreen, as I would have expected. But the other two videos displayed only vertically on the TV with black bars on each side, and I mean the image was a vertical view. No adjustment I made changed that strange display on the TV. The two videos that wouldn't display horizontally on the flatscreen TV, were able to be viewed horizontally on my smartphone, filling the screen of the phone, but, the phone info and play button display, was on either side of the horizontal view on the phone.

On the two "good" videos, when viewing horizontally on the phone, the phone info and play display runs across the top and the bottom of the horizontal view.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I take it the videos that were displayed vertically were rotated 90º?

Or, the videos weren't rotated but the aspect ratio was changed .
The "good" video(s) shot horizontally....

If you the good video on the phone, holding the phone vertically, the image is a horizontal rectangle in the center 1/3 of the camera screen, with black bars for the upper  and lower thirds. When I press play, the image auto-rotates to  a horizontal view that fills the screen, that looks like it should when you now hold the phone horizontally. If I manually press the screen image "rotate" icon, that toggles to the image playing in the middle 1/3 of the phone, and looks as it should holding the phone vertically.

How the "bad" video appears:

When I toggle the image, the image goes to the center 1/3 of the phone display. And that's where the 1/3 image displays differently than the "good" video 1/3 image, on the phone. The "bad" video 1/3 image, when holding the phone vertically, plays upside down.

Maybe, in the heat of the moment, when picking the phone quickly to shoot the rail yard as it came into view, I might have had the phone, although horizontal, "upside down."

Could be that. So have you tried rotating it 180º?
On the phone, I can view the "bad" video horizontally and filling the screen, and that's okay.

But the problem comes when I am casting that "bad" video to the TV. No matter what I do with the phone, holding it vertical, or horizontal, the image that appears on the TV screen is the view with the image in the center 1/3 of the TV screen, with the imaged playing vertically, from the top of the TV to the bottom, with the bottom of the picture parallel to the left edge of the TV screen.

You are casting a file saved on the phone not a live presentation that changes as you move the phone. The file was fixed when it was saved. You had the phone upside down. The file is upside down.You will have too correct in post production not during casting.

Back