Roomette 20

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

B

Bob Emae

I purchased online for Texas Eagle and was assigned roomette #20. I wasn't able to find it in the car layouts I've seen online. When there are more than one sleeper car, does the numbering of the rooms continue? Would #s 16+ be in the second sleeper car? Train newbie...I appreciate any assistance. Thanks!

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
I purchased online for Texas Eagle and was assigned roomette #20. I wasn't able to find it in the car layouts I've seen online. When there are more than one sleeper car, does the numbering of the rooms continue? Would #s 16+ be in the second sleeper car? Train newbie...I appreciate any assistance. Thanks!
Room #20 is in the Crew Sleeper on a Superliner, aka the Transdorm, right behind the baggage car.

There are many pluses and a few minuses to this but generally it's an excellent way to travel on a Train.

There are many threads,on this topic here on AU, please,Google and read them, excellent info!

Ryan

Court Jester
No, the rooms are numbered the same from car to car. There is also a car number that tells you where you are in the train.

Room 20 is in the trans-dorm, which is partially rooms sold to the public and partially rooms for the crew. It is also unique in that it has a high level connection to the adjacent car on one end (for the rest of the train) and a low level on the other (for the baggage car).

There are diagrams online, hopefully someone will share of this isn’t enough for you to get one (on my phone currently)...

AmtrakBlue

Engineer
Gathering Team Member
transdorm-upper.jpg

G

Thank you, all, for the replies and links. I did find the car # 2232 on my reservation. I'm looking forward to my first train ride. :)

I will be in 2232 on 11-5 out of Dallas. The shower is downstairs on the version illustrated. There a couple of different versions of the downstairs on a trans dorm but that doesn't change the upstairs too much, except that there a some that do have an upstairs shower. Showers are downstairs on the regular sleeper also. Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
In fact there are some transdorms that have Three Showers, One downstairs and Two Upstais with one exclusively for Crew use and the other for paying passengers.

There are combined with toliets in some of the units.

M

Mike816

Is the roomette the same size as the regular Superlinwrs?

Amtrak sent me an email today changing me to this car on the eastbound California Zephyr in a few weeks

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
Is the roomette the same size as the regular Superlinwrs?

Amtrak sent me an email today changing me to this car on the eastbound California Zephyr in a few weeks
Yep, they're exactly the same size. You'll be in the back part of the Car close to the Sleeper that's behind the Crew Car.

The Crew members have the Rooms ( and Shower/ Restroom) passed the Stairs, and the Conductor and Crew use the Downstairs, it's normally closed to Revenue Passengers.

The Shower and Bathroom for Revenue Passengers is combined also and is located close to your room(and is usuallynicer than the ones in the Revenue Cars.)

Your Attendant will probably be the SCA from the Revenue Sleeper( they're in Roomette #1) and you'll have to go back to that Sleeper for Coffee,Water and Juice.

Be sure the LSA (and your SCA) in the Diner knows you're in the Crew Car so you get to make Meal Rezervations ,they sometimes forget to come to your room.( listen for the announcements)

joelkfla

Engineer
Yep, they're exactly the same size. You'll be in the back part of the Car close to the Sleeper that's behind the Crew Car.

The Crew members have the Rooms ( and Shower/ Restroom) passed the Stairs, and the Conductor and Crew use the Downstairs, it's normally closed to Revenue Passengers.

The Shower and Bathroom for Revenue Passengers is combined also and is located close to your room(and is usuallynicer than the ones in the Revenue Cars.)

Your Attendant will probably be the SCA from the Revenue Sleeper( they're in Roomette #1) and you'll have to go back to that Sleeper for Coffee,Water and Juice.

Be sure the LSA (and your SCA) in the Diner knows you're in the Crew Car so you get to make Meal Rezervations ,they sometimes forget to come to your room.( listen for the announcements)
Just curious -- do passengers board thru the adjacent sleeper?

PaunchyPirate

Train Attendant
I was in car 540, which was the Transdorm Sleeper on the California Zephyr at the end of June. I was in Roomette #21. I rather liked the room and location. We had our own dedicated room attendant. We had morning coffee and ample bottled water in our car. Using the diagram above, Cabins 15-24 all had paying passengers in them. And one cabin on the other side (cabin 1 or 2) also had a paying customer. Then the rest of the cabins toward the baggage car were reserved for crew. Being peak summer season, they obviously filled every room they could spare with a revenue passenger.

The car was quite quiet since there wasn't much traffic through it other than the people in the car's rooms. The only activity downstairs was when someone used the shower or bathrooms down there. There was never a wait for either. Contrary to what was written in an above post, The upstairs bathroom/shower was closed off for crew and we used the lower level facilities. We still had one bathroom upstairs to use, but needed to go downstairs for the shower (and more bathrooms). Also, passengers in the transdorm sleeper that I was in boarded through the doors on that car just like other sleeper cars that I've been in.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
I was in car 540, which was the Transdorm Sleeper on the California Zephyr at the end of June. I was in Roomette #21. I rather liked the room and location. We had our own dedicated room attendant. We had morning coffee and ample bottled water in our car. Using the diagram above, Cabins 15-24 all had paying passengers in them. And one cabin on the other side (cabin 1 or 2) also had a paying customer. Then the rest of the cabins toward the baggage car were reserved for crew. Being peak summer season, they obviously filled every room they could spare with a revenue passenger.

The car was quite quiet since there wasn't much traffic through it other than the people in the car's rooms. The only activity downstairs was when someone used the shower or bathrooms down there. There was never a wait for either. Contrary to what was written in an above post, The upstairs bathroom/shower was closed off for crew and we used the lower level facilities. We still had one bathroom upstairs to use, but needed to go downstairs for the shower (and more bathrooms). Also, passengers in the transdorm sleeper that I was in boarded through the doors on that car just like other sleeper cars that I've been in.
Thanks for your report, there are more than one type of Transdorm, and I ve only been in the one with the 2 Showers/ Bathroom Combos Upstairs, and with the Downstairs reserved for Crew Members!😎

Having a dedicated attendant is a big plus. That would explain why they could open the door for boarding. There are a few different Toilet/Shower configurations. I did ride in a TD once where the crew said feel free to go downstairs, they had coffee/water, on a table in the middle and once I saw the H room in use. Not sure if it was a direct sale, or someone moved from a room with a problem.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
Having a dedicated attendant is a big plus. That would explain why they could open the door for boarding. There are a few different Toilet/Shower configurations. I did ride in a TD once where the crew said feel free to go downstairs, they had coffee/water, on a table in the middle and once I saw the H room in use. Not sure if it was a direct sale, or someone moved from a room with a problem.
Everyytime I been in the Transdorm( on the Zephyr,Eage,Chief and Sunset) a Crew Member was occupying the Downstairs H Room.

I've only seen a revenue passenger in it once, I would imagine it is something they try and avoid, since they are usually sharing an attendant, it would be a real PITA to keep track of meals and other needs down there. At least in a regular car with an assigned attendant room, they would have a call button as a possibility.