Roomette discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you don't want your nosy aunt to know you traveled in a roomette on a train is it possible if she is just picking you up by standing near the train

Do Amtrak cars have labels on them that people can see for which cars they are on the outside ? Like Coach, Roomette, etc ?

Thanks.

I know a weird request sorry. :(

If you don't want your nosy aunt to know you traveled in a roomette on a train is it possible if she is just picking you up by standing near the train

Do Amtrak cars have labels on them that people can see for which cars they are on the outside ? Like Coach, Roomette, etc ?

Thanks.

To me, it is obvious which cars are sleepers and which cars are coach. The cars are labeled, but it may not be obvious to your aunt.

Thanks.

The cars are labeled, with "Sleeping car" and "Coachclass" near the doors, but the lettering is relatively small and unobtrusive. She likely won't notice unless she's close and looking for it.

What is a lot more obvious from the outside is the window pattern on the lower level, blank on one side of the door for coaches, a small window (handicapped room) on sleepers. I doubt she knows that, though😉.

The cars are labeled, with "Sleeping car" and "Coachclass" near the doors, but the lettering is relatively small and unobtrusive. She likely won't notice unless she's close and looking for it.

What is a lot more obvious from the outside is the window pattern on the lower level, blank on one side of the door for coaches, a small window (handicapped room) on sleepers. I doubt she knows that, though😉.
We don’t know if s/he’s traveling on a single level or bilevel train. ;)

True. Well, Viewliners are pretty visually distinct from Amfleet IIs. So the exterior difference is much more pronounced than a single extra window between Superliner coaches and sleepers. But that's still a spotting issue. It might cause the aunt to ask why the car looks so different, though.

Yeah, aside from the labels, Superliners look pretty much all the same to the uninitiated, while the difference between Viewliner sleepers and Amfleet coaches is pretty obvious.

Depending on the train and station, there's also the possibility that announcements will be made to the effect that sleepers are at the rear and coaches at the front, or vice versa.

Thanks.

Exit from coach. Should a train attendant redirect you, tell them you're trying to avoid interrogation, er, questions by a nosy aunt. Because nosy people don't need a reason to be nosy. They just are.

EDIT: if you can set it up ahead of time, sit in coach the last half hour of your trip. Then you can answer questions with "I had a seat in coach" honestly. Why yes, I have one in my family.

Unfortunately, nosy people tend to be expert in getting information they just somehow...find out.

It does depend where she is standing relative to your car, which will just be luck. Get off as quickly as possible so she'll have less time to look.

I don't know what kind of station you are getting off the train at but you could encourage her to meet you in the parking lot or in the waiting room "to avoid the crowds". I know Penn Station checks tickets before letting you go to the platform (which would mean she couldn't go to the platform)- not sure if any other stations do that. My hometown station (Wilmington, DE), does not, though we are of course smaller and less of a "target" than NYC.

Thanks.

I live in a small town filled with nosy people, and I’ve developed some strategies over the years that might help here with a nosy aunt:

First, get in with questions before she does. “Oh, it’s so good of you to pick me up! Catch me up—what’s been going on at home? Where did you go for lunch with your sister? Have you heard from cousin Emily yet? Is she still planning to visit?”

If that strategy doesn’t work and she gets in first with “Was that a sleeper car you just got off of? What were you doing in a sleeper? I told you to ride in coach!” you can truthfully say “I was talking to one of the sleeper car attendants and he let me out that door. I did take your advice and ride in coach—it was very nice” (as said above, sit in a coach seat for a few minutes so you can be telling the truth.)

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I live in a small town filled with nosy people, and I’ve developed some strategies over the years that might help here with a nosy aunt:

First, get in with questions before she does. “Oh, it’s so good of you to pick me up! Catch me up—what’s been going on at home? Where did you go for lunch with your sister? Have you heard from cousin Emily yet? Is she still planning to visit?”

If that strategy doesn’t work and she gets in first with “Was that a sleeper car you just got off of? What were you doing in a sleeper? I told you to ride in coach!” you can truthfully say “I was talking to one of the sleeper car attendants and he let me out that door. I did take your advice and ride in coach—it was very nice” (as said above, sit in a coach seat for a few minutes so you can be telling the truth.)

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Wow! The things one must know to live in a small town.

Superliner roomettes have a metal grill running under the windows, with round holes. Is that grill ferrous, as in magnetic? I would like to know for an idea of mine.

Thanks.
If it's anything like the conduit for power outlets on the Northeast Regional (big big big if, I'm not sure the rolling stock are at all related), it's not; the wrist strap for my small camera is completely uninterested in it.

Lucky you.😀 I’ve always been told to wait out in the rock and roll section of the adjoining car. It’s all good though, most time other folks were lined up behind My wife and I.
Usually lineup happens at lunch time as no reservations are taken for lunch. Breakfast when dinner gets full they will take ur name for list to call when table available. Dinner they come by rooms to make reservations.

Back