Roomette 'flash sale' (ended December 11)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m looking over and what it doesn’t say is whether you can book it with points or not. So the question is whether it does work with points and they felt that they didn’t need to mention that, or if Amtrak just merely forgot to mention it one way or the other.

I’m looking over and what it doesn’t say is whether you can book it with points or not. So the question is whether it does work with points and they felt that they didn’t need to mention that, or if Amtrak just merely forgot to mention it one way or the other.
I looked at it a little while ago, and you have to input the trip info from the promotion page in order to get the discount. They do have the option to price with points, but when I get to the price page there isn’t a promotion applied to points options like on the cash side. So the only option I see right now would be to call AGR and see if they can do it. I also looked through the restrictions posted and they don’t rule out points purchases. 

I looked at it a little while ago, and you have to input the trip info from the promotion page in order to get the discount. They do have the option to price with points, but when I get to the price page there isn’t a promotion applied to points options like on the cash side. So the only option I see right now would be to call AGR and see if they can do it. I also looked through the restrictions posted and they don’t rule out points purchases. 
How do I actually book through the promotion page? Because when I click on “Book Now” at the bottom of that page, it just sends me to the standard booking page and doesn’t seem to recognize the discount.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the home page, watch for the promotion to come across as a banner and go to that page. 
Thank you muchly. Typical of Amtrak to have two webpages for one promo, one of which lacks the crucial function that actually allows you to utilize the deal. Sigh.

EDIT: Actually, no. It’s still sending me through the standard booking page and I’m not getting the discount. Bigger sigh.

Thank you muchly. Typical of Amtrak to have two webpages for one promo, one of which lacks the crucial function that actually allows you to utilize the deal. Sigh.

EDIT: Actually, no. It’s still sending me through the standard booking page and I’m not getting the discount. Bigger sigh.
Works for me. Be sure to use 2 Adults. The pricing shows "Promo Applied."

Interesting, and your dates are in the correct range too? 

9E93E91F-1614-4724-8B71-14B62050A3C5.png

It’s a diner-lite, and the general consensus seems to be that it’s very mediocre, but better than nothing and satisfactory for a one night trip.
The diner lite is far superior to the 'meals in a box' on the Capitol Ltd and Lakeshore Ltd.  At least there's a decent choice of foods, all hot, for each meal. 

The downside?  It's all microwave/convection oven heated.  But it's still pretty tasty, in my opinion.   

Has anyone else noticed the false advertising? 

In particular, the web page shows 'meals included'.  But the price for WAS-ORL is $314...exactly the same price as the Silver Star roomette for one...with NO included meals!!!

image.png

Tried NYP-CHI for 2/13/19 and it worked.  "Promo Applied" for both Lake Shore and Cardinal.
I’m looking at NYP-CHI on 2/13 and it still isn’t working for either train. I’ve checked it multiple times and everything seems to be in order, yet here we are.

EDIT: And now it suddenly is working. This thing is quite glitchy.

UPDATED EDIT: I think I’ve figured it out. If you just click on the big “Book Now” button on the banner itself, it won’t work. You have to go to the actual promotion’s webpage and you use the booking engine at the bottom.

Yeah so I’ve now got it working reliably, which is good. However it seems that it actually doesn’t work if your booking on points, which is not so good. :(  

Yeah so I’ve now got it working reliably, which is good. However it seems that it actually doesn’t work if your booking on points, which is not so good. :(  
One of the potential causes of your problems is the browser you are using.  I use Firefox and there are several sites that simply "don't work at all" or only partially work.  Directv and Pay.gov are two of the 'Firefox problem sites'  I've identified thus far.  I sometimes wonder if Amtrak.com has similar problems as I frequently get 'overtyped' portions on my screen when the top portion of a line of text is fine, but the bottom portion is overlaid with the top of the next line of text, etc.  It's also possible that my screen resolution (1920 x 1080) is causing that problem.

So, if you're using Firefox, or perhaps Chrome, see if your problems go away using Internet Explorer (or whatever that new thing on Win 10 is...I'm a Win 7 user).

On other idea regarding booking with points problem...make sure you're booking as an adult, not senior or other discount fare.

And if all else fails, give 'em a call to make a reservation.

One of the potential causes of your problems is the browser you are using.  I use Firefox and there are several sites that simply "don't work at all" or only partially work.  Directv and Pay.gov are two of the 'Firefox problem sites'  I've identified thus far.  I sometimes wonder if Amtrak.com has similar problems as I frequently get 'overtyped' portions on my screen when the top portion of a line of text is fine, but the bottom portion is overlaid with the top of the next line of text, etc.  It's also possible that my screen resolution (1920 x 1080) is causing that problem.

So, if you're using Firefox, or perhaps Chrome, see if your problems go away using Internet Explorer (or whatever that new thing on Win 10 is...I'm a Win 7 user).

On other idea regarding booking with points problem...make sure you're booking as an adult, not senior or other discount fare.

And if all else fails, give 'em a call to make a reservation.
I am on Mac and use Safari, but as Bill said, it seems that the deal is exclusive to cash bookings.

Has anyone else noticed the false advertising? 

In particular, the web page shows 'meals included'.  But the price for WAS-ORL is $314...exactly the same price as the Silver Star roomette for one...with NO included meals!!!

View attachment 11420
Bratkinson what is this Windows 2000 theme you're using? I can see it's not actually that old since Firefox is updated.

Bratkinson what is this Windows 2000 theme you're using? I can see it's not actually that old since Firefox is updated.
Apparently, Amtraks' web site doesn't fully interface with Firefox on my 64-bit Windows 7 Pro computer.  For what it's worth, it's impossible to use the 'modify reservation' capability under Firefox, too.  That includes using upgrades as well as simply changing dates, trains, etc.  Even to cancel an existing reservation, I had no choice but to put up with Internet Explorer to do it. 

But then, there's a number of sites I've encountered that don't 'play nicely' together with Firefox.  That's as bad as when I was doing PC programming about 1984 and had to query BIOS to determine what kind of video adapter card is installed and had to use different addressing for mono, color, or Hercules.  That was when the entire PC had 640 Kilobytes of RAM available for DOS AND your programs.  I ended up doing do-it-yourself overlays like I used to do 17 years earlier on IBM 1400 series computers with 4K and later 360s with 128K.   

Apparently, Amtraks' web site doesn't fully interface with Firefox on my 64-bit Windows 7 Pro computer.  For what it's worth, it's impossible to use the 'modify reservation' capability under Firefox, too.  That includes using upgrades as well as simply changing dates, trains, etc.  Even to cancel an existing reservation, I had no choice but to put up with Internet Explorer to do it.
I have Firefox on 64-bit Windows 7 with no problems modifying or canceling my Amtrak reservations.  Have you tried reinstalling a current and unmodified version of Firefox to a new file location?  I've seen many cases where users personalize their installation of Firefox until it doesn't work with one or more sites and then they just assume it's a browser compatibility issue rather than their choice of outdated/conflicting plugins and/or other customizations.

Back