Roomette Locations?

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

We will be riding the California Zepher in June and have been automatically assigned roomettes as follows: Car 540 Room 22 (Train 5)and Car 631 Room 12 (Train 6). Is there any way to determine if these roomettes are on the upper or lower level of the car? Thanks a lot!

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
I am in car 640 room 022 is this also a transition sleeper and what is a transition sleeper
The Transition Sleeper( aka Crew Dorm) only has Roomettes Upstairs, with half for the Crew and the other half being Revenue Rooms for Passengers.

Downstairs has a Crew Lounge/Work Area open only to the Crew that replaces the Family Bedroom and 4 Roomettes.

The H Room is sometimes occupied by a Crew Member and the Restrooms ( there are 2 Upstairs combined with a Shower, 1 for the Crew and 1 for Passengers)and Shower Downstairs are Open only to the Crew.

Is the Transition Car decent to travel in? We have a roomette on the upper level. Checked with Amtrak and they wanted almost $300 to change us to another car. Thanks for the information...

Maglev

Conductor
There are some who prefer the Transition car, and some who do not like it. It is always a Superliner II, so the ride is better than a Superliner I; and there is no enclosed closet in the Roomettes, so the storage space is more versatile. Also, room 22 will be on the north side of the train, which I think has better scenery and definitely has better lighting.

(The Transition cars are so named because there is a stairway at one end for transition to single-level cars, so Transition cars are always oriented in the same direction and one can predict the side on which one's Roomette will be).

Cal

Engineer
If you do want to change cars however, it shouldn't cost you anything. Now, others on here are better at explaining how to change without a cost so I'll leave it to them...

E

Edward Ziegler

If you do want to change cars however, it shouldn't cost you anything. Now, others on here are better at explaining how to change without a cost so I'll leave it to them...

would you happen to know what time the dining car opens for breakfast?

Cal

Engineer
6:30 on most trains I believe. However, on the westbound Southwest Chief (and probably other trains too) it began at 5 due to the early arrival time into LA, It ended around 6.

pennyk

51 year Amtrak Rider
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
I seem to recall some western trains start breakfast at 6am. The Silvers start breakfast at 6:30am (usually), unless the Meteor is in Washington Union Station at that time and the power is cut for the engine change.