Roomette & Meals

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All...

Taking the Meteor from Wilmington De to Miami.

We were going to get 2 roomettes for wife & 2 teens.

Was just curious how the meals went and if all were included?

If we are boarding in Wilmington De at 6 PM, what would be the schedules for meals and are you called?

We would be arriving in Miami 6 PM next day.

Would we miss the dinner boarding at that time, so we should eat prior or bring something on?

Also are meals/drinks all included?

Would my attendant be the one going all the way through? Would slipping him a 20 in the beginning do anything for us?

Now luggage question, would we have to put all luggage in our room..or just overnight bags?

WE're going on a cruise and wanted to enjoy the train down. WE will be flying back.

Thank you in advance .

Last edited by a moderator:
If you board at 6pm, you should easily make dinner. Ask your SCA upon boarding, since he/she should have already made a dinner reservation for you.

Its a full meal, desert, and a beverage. Sometimes the waitstaff will allow you a second beverage (a refill), but not always.

The next day's breakfast and lunch is "walk in". Simply go and wait for a table.

Your luggage needs to either checked, or stored inside your roomette(s). There is a good sized cubby in your roomette for luggage, and that is located in what would be the ceiling of the hallway.

As said earlier, your dinner and lunch includes your meal, drink (non-alochol)and dessert.

Breakfast includes a breakfast meat (bacon, sausage) along with eggs, railroad toast, etc.

As you are going on a cruise, I would suggest you check your big luggages and only take

to your roomettes what you will require for the train trip. It is inconvenient to have bags

sitting around the room. The storage over the hall will accommodate a good sized bag and you

can put smaller bags under the seats. I hope you have a nice train experience and a great cruise.

Would my attendant be the one going all the way through? Would slipping him a 20 in the beginning do anything for us?

Yes, the attendant works the whole route.No,most people tip after judging the services rendered.

Thank you again....

Would we be provided dinner at the end of the trip with an ETA of 6PM in Miami?

Or lunch would be the last meal.

If so we would get the three meals, dinner breakfast, lunch...

Heck those 3 meals x 4 people on a train I am sure would add up quick..the price of the roomette does not look that bad then.....

We bring some snacks and we are good to go.

Reason I asked about the tip prior to the start...I always tip the Room steward on the Cruise prior..seems to be more rewards if I do that..makes it more personal.

I'll wait for the train and I am sure I could tell within the first couple of hours how they will be.

This will be our 5th cruise.. we love them,

I used to to take the train from Philly to Tampa years ago..go see the Phillies in Spring Training and see a buddy down there.

We were taking about it and my family wants to see what the long train experience is all about.

Reason I asked about the tip prior to the start...I always tip the Room steward on the Cruise prior..seems to be more rewards if I do that..makes it more personal.

I hope you aren't expecting cruise line level of services on Amtrak.What "rewards" were you expecting? The attendant will set up/take down the bunks and set up a car beverage station.That is about it for services.People with mobility problems may request meals in their room.

I hope you aren't expecting cruise line level of services on Amtrak.What "rewards" were you expecting? The attendant will set up/take down the bunks and set up a car beverage station.That is about it for services.People with mobility problems may request meals in their room.
No no no...thats funny....My expectations are not that high...just some friendly talk, interaction with the kids, answer some questions....things like that.....

But maybe a few towel animals would be nice....joking of course.

Under normal circumstances, your last meal will be lunch.

Abnormal circumstances would be that you are many, many hours late (like 6+), and then they will continue to feed you as long as their food stock holds out.

Under normal circumstances, your last meal will be lunch.

Abnormal circumstances would be that you are many, many hours late (like 6+), and then they will continue to feed you as long as their food stock holds out.
lol :giggle: :lol: she got 2 teenagers lol the food stock wont hold out lol lol

I have learned from my Sleeper travels to pack light on the snacks as between the size of the meals and general lack of exercise on board, I tend to stay full, sometimes on the edge of being foundered :) And as a result, the bag of snacks becomes dead weight I have to haul around or even dump at destination.

I have learned from my Sleeper travels to pack light on the snacks as between the size of the meals and general lack of exercise on board, I tend to stay full, sometimes on the edge of being foundered :) And as a result, the bag of snacks becomes dead weight I have to haul around or even dump at destination.
You are obviously NOT a teenager! There is no end to what they can eat. Unfortunately, it usually takes about 20 years before it starts showing up and then it is too late.

Breakfast includes a breakfast meat (bacon, sausage) along with eggs, railroad toast, etc.
You're missing a critical word in that sentence Shanghai; that word being "French". Amtrak passengers haven't seen toast in at least 10 years, maybe even 15 now. One can however still find French Toast.

I hope you aren't expecting cruise line level of services on Amtrak.What "rewards" were you expecting? The attendant will set up/take down the bunks and set up a car beverage station.That is about it for services. People with mobility problems may request meals in their room.
Correction; any one can request meals in their room. One does not need to be mobility impaired to request that a meal be brought to their room. That said, I will say that it does put extra strain on the attendant to do that, tends to lead to food that's cooled a bit by the time you eat it, kills any chance at refills on drinks, and IMHO it means that you miss out on one of the neater aspects of train riding which is taking in a meal in the dining car while watching the countryside pass by.

I usually board the Meteor in WAS at about 7 pm, and i have always been served dinner. Most, but not all, attendants will make dinner reservations for you. My favorite SCA on the southbound Meteor (or northbound Star) is Leo. He usually is in the 9710 car.

Sometimes they take lunch reservations, and if the train is running on time, the reserve the early times for those pax whose destinations are WPK or ORL.

Enjoy your train trip and cruise.

You're missing a critical word in that sentence Shanghai; that word being "French". Amtrak passengers haven't seen toast in at least 10 years, maybe even 15 now. One can however still find French Toast.
Alan, isn't Railroad Toast actually French Toast??

I have had Railroad Toast of a couple of trips but

found it was to be thick pieces of bread with spices.

Not very tasty for me.

I usually board the Meteor in WAS at about 7 pm, and i have always been served dinner. Most, but not all, attendants will make dinner reservations for you. My favorite SCA on the southbound Meteor (or northbound Star) is Leo. He usually is in the 9710 car.

Sometimes they take lunch reservations, and if the train is running on time, the reserve the early times for those pax whose destinations are WPK or ORL.

Enjoy your train trip and cruise.
Great, thank you and we will!

Alan, isn't Railroad Toast actually French Toast??

I have had Railroad Toast of a couple of trips but

found it was to be thick pieces of bread with spices.

Not very tasty for me.
No.

All the menus call it "Railroad French Toast" or just "French Toast". There is nothing listed as "Railroad Toast". Even if there were, it could give someone the impression that it's regular toast and not French Toast.

IINM on Some LD Routes Pancakes have replaced the "CLASSIC RAILROAD FRENCH TOAST" as it is Called in the Amtrak Blurbs!!! The only Good Pancakes Ive had on Amtrak were on the Empire Builder where they Actually Cooked Them and not just Heated them up from the Freezer!

IINM on Some LD Routes Pancakes have replaced the "CLASSIC RAILROAD FRENCH TOAST" as it is Called in the Amtrak Blurbs!!! The only Good Pancakes Ive had on Amtrak were on the Empire Builder where they Actually Cooked Them and not just Heated them up from the Freezer!
On the CZ(#5) in November we were told that the French Toast was only available on #6. I had told my daughter, who likes French Toast, that everyone here (or just about everyone) had high praises for it. Luckily I don't think she was too disappointed to find out it wasn't available.

I traveled on the Capitol Limited 30 (8), and it had pancakes instead of French toast. The Lake Shore Limited 449 (19) did have French toast.

EDIT: Wow, that should have been 449 (12), not 3 days in the future. Oops.

They used to have "Pancakes or Railroad French Toast" on the TE menu, it was an "ask your server what's available" deal.

I cannot remember EVER having been on the TE when pancakes were served....but good to know if they're frozen, reheated pancakes, I'll get the eggs and grits instead....

The French Toast is good, but since I usually like a heavier breakfast when traveling, I generally go for the Omelet with a side of sausage unless there is an interesting Special. But on a multi-day trip, by day 3 I'm ready for a change and the French Toast fits that bill well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back