Quantcast

Roomette or Bedroom: Chief to Los Angeles from Chicago?

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

ehbowen

Conductor
One traveler or two travelers? If one, the roomette is adequate; the bedroom is luxurious (private bathroom, y'know). If one adult and a child the roomette is do-able; the bedroom gives room to spread out. Two adult travelers in a roomette can be done (I've done it with my own father around the Western U.S.), but you're better advised to spend the extra for a bedroom if you can afford it (in 2016, I couldn't!).

rogers55

Service Attendant
My wife and I have done both. We decided the Bedroom was worth the extra, especially if one passenger has mobility problems. By myself I use the roomette.

niemi24s

Conductor
On the bold assumption you're also taking the train back from LAX, take both - one to LAX - the other back from LAX.

Which to take first? Take a coin from you pocket and . . . . .

niemi24s

Conductor
And just in case you weren't aware of it, there are two different trains that go between Chicago and Los Angeles: The Southwest Chief and the Texas Eagle. Both have the same fare structures which can be seen. So you could not only take different rooms on your round trip, but different trains for variety. Fares for both trains both can be found here: Long Distance Train Coach & Sleeper Fares (Buckets)

crescent-zephyr

Conductor
Roommete or Bedroom? Ialready know costwise roommette is cheaper.
For a 2 night trip I’d always vote for a bedroom if you can afford it.

I usually get a roomette when it’s just me since I like to spend most of the daytime in the lounge anyways but having more room and a private bathroom and shower is a huge bonus.