Roomette Question—Viewliners and Superliners

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreius

OBS Chief
I have several train trips planned. Do the attendants mind if you want your room in “daytime configuration?” I am a tall and “wide-bodied” person. I know the seats can recline a little. I was thinking of sleeping that way with my Amtrak blanket and a pillow.

I have several train trips planned. Do the attendants mind if you want your room in “daytime configuration?” I am a tall and “wide-bodied” person. I know the seats can recline a little. I was thinking of sleeping that way with my Amtrak blanket and a pillow.
They have no reason to mind. It is your room, you set it up whichever way suits you.

If you tell them you don't want it converted to nighttime use, they will leave it set for daytime. However, if you plan to board in the evening, they may have already converted it so you'll have to ask them to convert it back.

You can also ask them to convert only the top bunk for sleeping so you can sleep "upstairs" and, at any time and come down to sit. I've done that. It also makes getting ready for bed and dressing in the morning a lot easier because you have the room to sit or turn around.

If I use the bottom bunk when she has her own room, I have them convert it to a bed at night. Since I tend to wake up early, I just pull down the top bunk, shove the bedding on it, then push it back up. I then convert the bottom back to seats. You can ask them to show you how to do that. Later, while, we're at breakfast, the SLA will properly stow the bedding.

When I sleep on the bottom bunk, before retiring, I pull down the top bunk and place all the "stuff" from my pockets on the top bunk along with the clothes for the next morning. Then I push it up. This way, in the morning, I can pull down the top bunk and everything is laid out for me and I don't have to remember where it is. I always have a spare Ziploc bag where I place coins, watch and other small items at night so they don't get lost.

If you are tall and span both seats when sitting and want to put your feet up on the other seat, just ask for a towel and place it on the other seat as a courtesy to the next user.

It doesn't take long to figure out how to adjust the seats/beds yourself. Just a little bit of force on the right pedal. On a Viewliner the most important trick is to install the safety net before you lower the bunk all the way, otherwise it is very hard to get the roof clips in. Most SCA's are more than happy to let you do it, but will check to make sure the safety net is secured properly.

Back