Roomette rate lowered

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Judith Kidd

I booked a roomette 3 weeks ago and check today to find the rate is $85.00 cheaper each way. How do I get the now lower rate?

Ryan is correct. Call, verify that the price is indeed still lower, then ask that it be "modified" to give you the lower price. Don't let them cancel and rebook because in that short time that it takes, prices can change. If they can't or won't modify without canceling then ask for a supervisor. Some agents are lazy but many just don't know how to modify reservations.

I saw today that my bedroom price dropped $250 so I called Amtrak and received an evoucher for that amount. Wished I had asked to refund on my credit card. I was just told I was refunded and I assumed it was to my credit card. Is is possible I can contact Amtrak again and get it refunded to my credit card? My trip is happening quite soon--within 14 days. (Wondering if COVID is relaxing their rules about refunds for lowered sleeper prices.)

Last edited:
I saw today that my bedroom price dropped $250 so I called Amtrak and received an evoucher for that amount. Wished I had asked to refund on my credit card. I was just told I was refunded and I assumed it was to my credit card. Is is possible I can contact Amtrak again and get it refunded to my credit card? My trip is happening quite soon--within 14 days. (Wondering if COVID is relaxing their rules about refunds for lowered sleeper prices.)
I don't think once you have a voucher issued it can be turned into cash.

Amtrak has always been good about giving you the lower fare when fares drop, if asked. They did it long before COVID. I think a lot of us are worried about them tightening that up, though. Good to hear they are still doing it.

I received a $251 voucher for the bedroom fare that decreased as I stated above, but actually that was fine! I ended up rebooking another CHI-LAX trip on the Southwest Chief--same trip as last month--for late winter. I checked the bucket chart on this site and I am pleased to say I got the lowest bucket for both directions, so this trip is considerably less expensive than the one I took in September. Didn't have Amsnag to help so spent a few hours methodically plugging in rates going day to day and finally came up with two dates that (randomly it seems) had the lowest buckets listed. So I'm happy and looking forward to my next trip and am quite certain my low pricing will not go any lower! And I used my voucher as well!

Last edited:
So, you can get a modified reservation when a fare drops and receive a credit. I've done that. But if paying with AGR will Amtrak refund points when the fare drops? I would presume so but I know they can be wonky about things.

I received a $251 voucher for the bedroom fare that decreased as I stated above, but actually that was fine! I ended up rebooking another CHI-LAX trip on the Southwest Chief--same trip as last month--for late winter. I checked the bucket chart on this site and I am pleased to say I got the lowest bucket for both directions, so this trip is considerably less expensive than the one I took in September. Didn't have Amsnag to help so spent a few hours methodically plugging in rates going day to day and finally came up with two dates that (randomly it seems) had the lowest buckets listed. So I'm happy and looking forward to my next trip and am quite certain my low pricing will not go any lower! And I used my voucher as well!
Congratulations!!! Looks like you scored a great deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back