Roomette : Upstairs vs Downstairs

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter20

Train Attendant
I only get a train trip once or twice a year and due to my location it is typically on the Silvers or the NE Regional Line. So when I found out I get to ride a train with two levels - it is a rare treat for me.

Quick Summary : I'm helping a family member out and basically has resulted in a one-way Auto Train ride next week. I booked online and when looking at my reservation print out; I noticed I am in Roomette 14 which is downstairs. I have ridden on the auto train once and was upstairs. I enjoyed it - it was fun and different than usual being a little higher up. And I guess I always assumed the downstairs rooms were reserved for those that might be challenged with stairs or other mobility issues etc.

I've tried to search threads to look for answers on the difference between upstairs and downstairs and what people prefer. I did see that if I try to move - I might be asked to pay a higher fare (which being upstairs is not worth that to me); but I'm curious 1) Which do you prefer? And 2) what to expect from a downstairs roomette?

Thanks!

If all other factors are equal I prefer the upper rooms, but I wouldn't pay extra for them. I have taken lower level rooms many times and enjoyed them. There is a little more noise and they are farther from coffee and the diner and lounge, but closer to restrooms and the shower. Enjoy your trip!

This is a good example why I call and make all my sleeper reservations so I can request specific upstairs roomettes or bedrooms. You can only do this on the phone. Making your reservations online you only know your roomette or bedroom identity AFTER you complete the purchase and that room is randomly assigned. There is actually no difference in the price of the roomettes whether upstairs or downstairs. Price is based on whatever "bucket" the roomettes are when you purchase. Please call AGR if you are a member or Amtrak.com phone and request move upstairs. Only then will you know if the price is more or possibly even less.

If all other factors are equal I prefer the upper rooms, but I wouldn't pay extra for them. I have taken lower level rooms many times and enjoyed them. There is a little more noise and they are farther from coffee and the diner and lounge, but closer to restrooms and the shower. Enjoy your trip!
As a 70 year old disabled guy, that's why I choose 'downstairs'. And, maybe because I'm half deaf, the noise doesn't bother me. ^_^

You hear some noise from the tracks, but probably less from foot traffic passing by.

And there is a bit less lateral rolling motion felt, lower down.

The upper level windows stay a bit cleaner from roadway dirt kicked up, and you can see better above foliage, fences, and low cuts along the right of way...

Now that you have roomette 14 booked, you can call Amtrak and have the reservation MODIFIED to an upper-level roomette (numbers 2 thru 10) if such are still available.

Just be sure to use say you want to 'modify' your reservation and if the agent says there is an additional cost or that you can't change ask to speak to a supervisor.

The most desirable roomettes are in the middle of the upper level (3 thru 8).

http://s4.zetaboards.com/amtkz/pages/cars/

Roomette #1 is usually used by the Train Attendant - Sleeper Car.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have ridden both on the SWC. Rooms about 100% the same. Lower floor seems to be a bit noisier then upper and to me, maybe the noise ads to it, but seems a little harsher ride.....it may come from being closer to the cars trucks (wheels) but just my opinion.

Maybe it's me, but the Auto Train (which is what is in question here) doesn't win my prize for breathtaking scenery that shouldn't be missed, like some of the Western trains.

I consider Roomette 14 the best of the lower level ones because it has less glass looking to the hallway. Hence, more privacy and darker inside at night. Still, I would prefer rooms 2 thru 6 on the upper level, if available to MODIFY your reservation.

I have had 14 and always enjoyed it. Same reasons, quiet, no traffic passing, can get out and stand in the entrance vestibule and I always keep my door open and curtains drawn. I like it!

Some people don't like downstairs because people drop and retrieve luggage from the rack at all hours, and make noise boarding and getting off. Again, non factors on the Auto Train.

May I add another question about the upstairs in general? I have only been in a roomette or bedroom on a Viewliner, and have never been in a Superliner. I probably will be next year, though, and am slightly concerned about the amount of motion (swaying, etc.) on the upper level possibly leading to some queasiness. I travel well in general but can't (for example) read in a car or bus (although I can on a train). Is this something to be concerned about? Thanks in advance.....

I have had both the handicapped and the family rooms downstairs as well as just about all of the roomettes. I like the downstairs just fine, not nearly the traffic as upstairs, the view is fine, the bathrooms are handy, and it just seems more of a private space.

I rode cross country on the upper level (EB) and when I was on the Coast Starlight, we were assigned a lower level room. The room itself is 100% identical to upstairs rooms, but for me personally, it felt odd being so low and also I wasn't a fan of having to go upstairs all the time for everything but a shower. But to each his own, if I were you I would just hang out in the lounges all day anyway. Enjoy the trip!

I like the downstairs just fine. It's somewhat more peaceful w/ no through traffic.

It also gives you a chance to clean your own windows if they're grubby. We always travel with a pack of windex wipes so that we can clean our windows inside and out when we board.

May I add another question about the upstairs in general? I have only been in a roomette or bedroom on a Viewliner, and have never been in a Superliner. I probably will be next year, though, and am slightly concerned about the amount of motion (swaying, etc.) on the upper level possibly leading to some queasiness. I travel well in general but can't (for example) read in a car or bus (although I can on a train). Is this something to be concerned about? Thanks in advance.....
It's similar, but to far lesser extent, to choosing a cabin on a cruise ship....being down low and midship, yields the most stable ride. The closer to the center of gravity, the less you will feel the 3 axes of roll, pitch, or yaw motion. That's why the medical center's are usually located there.

To be honest, I have only ridden upstairs, but I've never noticed nor be bothered by swaying or rolling. I rode Viewliner this summer and thought the ride was comparable to the Superliner upstairs roomettes. Also as others have said there is not much scenery on the Auto Train since it mostly travels overnight without stopping. I've never ridden the Auto Train.

I prefer the Upstairs (3-8) over downstairs when traveling scenic areas or summer when lots of children travel in the family room increasing substantially the noise level and door slamming. Upstairs rooms 9 - 10 are right next to the door, so there is a possibility of constant open and closing as people go from car to car.

Upper level, upper bunk, maybe problem, but me several times roomette on the EB, yeah. Top bunk upper level sways a lot, especially on the EB tracks Fargo-Grand Forks and Spokane-Pasco. On my many trips MSP-SEA (or PDX) and back in roomette - I don't worry it.

In the upper Superliner roomette berth, I liked it, dreamed of train falling over (the sway) but slept well.

I can read, but don't much on the LD train. (I look out the windows in the Sightseer Lounge)

If swaying bothers you, go for the lower-level rooms or seats.

I prefer upper level, and I'm pretty sure that the last time I booked online, I was given the option. This was in the spring. I was surprised because in the past I had to call and switch if I got a lower level. Maybe I'm mistaken--my memory isn't what it used to be.

I prefer upper level, and I'm pretty sure that the last time I booked online, I was given the option. This was in the spring. I was surprised because in the past I had to call and switch if I got a lower level. Maybe I'm mistaken--my memory isn't what it used to be.
Your memory is playing tricks, you still have to call to book a specific room!

Seeing there is only one bathroom and no shower upstairs, I imagine there would be a line from time to time outside the upper bathroom?

Also, I understand the Auto Train also uses a different sleeper which only has bedrooms upstairs.

Also, I understand the Auto Train also uses a different sleeper which only has bedrooms upstairs.
Yes. Usually there are two of those different sleepers (Deluxe Sleepers) per consist. They are all named with the word Palm in it. These are all bedrooms upstairs with standard Superliner Sleeper layout downstairs with four Roomettes, a Family Room and a Handicapped Room.The Auto Train also carries at least three or more standard Superliner Sleepers in addition to these so called Deluxe Sleepers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back