Rough Trackage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-Late Shore-

Train Attendant
Hi All,

Me being from Massachusetts, and reading a tidbit of information that I read the other day caught me at odds. ;)

I know that just outside of Chicago, IL, from I think somewhere between Chicago and Naperville - there is what the train crew would call "rough spots" or "rough tracks". I'm wondering if anyone else here knows anything about these things or what defines exactly "rough tracks" as oposed to normal railroading conditions.

Recently, I read that the trackage outside Boston is a little rough, but I'm snot sure which line. Maybe it's the LSL line which is the Framingham line for the MBTA? Who knows. Any answers?

Lastly, I think I had asked this before, but maybe not, so I'll ask it again. Does anyone have an estimate of the LSL average speed persay between Boston and Buffalo, NY? Any information would be appreciated, and I would be surprised if someone told me that it's 60-70mph. in between Worcester and Springfield? :p

Also, be sure to check out Viewliners' new web site. It's cool and it's just what I was looking for to add to my own personal collection of Amtrak pics. I'm sure that anyone who's a real train fan will love this site as well. Keep up the good work, but just a suggestion View - try to get some more interior pics. I know it's hard, so I'll understand if you can't, but congratulations on a job well done with your site. :)

The really rough tracks are supposedly from SPG to ALB. However, CSX did some track work over the summer which I believe was to improve the conditions. I did not find the track outside CHI to bad, but everyone has their own experience. Being from MA also I find a lot of the track that the MBTA uses to be in excellent condition. When I'm on the Kingston line it's like your hoovering a few feet in the air because the ride is so smooth.

Late Shore - My website here has some interior pics of the Superliner cars. I don't know if that's what you were looking for?

This is just an educated guess, since I don't know much about railroading or laying track. It seems that rough track may be due to track or ties that have been worn down and may need to be replaced. I say this due to experiences riding the Empire Builder where I've encountered rough track. The first spot was just outside of Spokane, WA, where the ride was rough on my trip home last week, but had been quite smooth on previous trips. Secondly, there was some rough track in Eastern Montana on previous trips, but the ride was much smoother on this trip. I know that BNSF, who owns the track the Empire Builder runs on, replaced the ties along that stretch of track in Montana.

Again, this was just an educated guess. Perhaps someone else on this board knows more about railroading and can correct my errors (I'm sure there are plenty to correct :D ).

I don't know exactly what causes rough track...but I think your assumption is good. I imagine after a bit of time, the ties and the rails both tend to warp, actually, I know this to be true. After all the heating and cooling over several years worth of season changes, this can get very drastic. I bet this is what causes it to be so rough going over it.

As for the speed on the LSL in that region. I don't know what speed it ACTUALLY averages, but I do believe the speed limit through there is either 90 or 110. I noticed when I was on it over the summer that it did seem to move quite well through NY.

tubaallen said:
I don't know exactly what causes rough track...but I think your assumption is good. I imagine after a bit of time, the ties and the rails both tend to warp, actually, I know this to be true. After all the heating and cooling over several years worth of season changes, this can get very drastic. I bet this is what causes it to be so rough going over it.
As for the speed on the LSL in that region. I don't know what speed it ACTUALLY averages, but I do believe the speed limit through there is either 90 or 110. I noticed when I was on it over the summer that it did seem to move quite well through NY.
The speed for the LSL I would think does not go over 79, the maxium speed for an LD (with the exception on some trains like the Southwest Chief in which it reaches 90mph on a few spots). A rough ride can also be caused by the type of rail, jointed (rough ride) or welded (smooth ride). Also freight trains can really do a job on some tracks whcih will also make for a rough ride.

Amfleet said:
The speed for the LSL I would think does not go over 79, the maxium speed for an LD (with the exception on some trains like the Southwest Chief in which it reaches 90mph on a few spots). A rough ride can also be caused by the type of rail, jointed (rough ride) or welded (smooth ride). Also freight trains can really do a job on some tracks whcih will also make for a rough ride.
I think that overall Amfleet you are correct, maximum speed on the LSL is 79 MPH. South of Albany, I believe that the NYP section can get up to 90 MPH. Boston to Albany, I know that at least part of the way max speed is 59, as several of the defect detectors registered that speed when I rode the Boston section of the LSL. I'm not sure if they can run faster from SPG to BOS.

Now NY is trying to get track improvements from ALB to Buffalo, such that Empire Service can hit at least 90 MPH. They want to take full advantage of the newly refurbished Turboliners. Once that work is done, then I would expect that the LSL could also up it's minimum speed.

Amfleet said:
I'm not sure on this, but don't the roadrailers limit the speed to even less at 60mph?
I think that it depends on which frieght railroad you are on, some limit them more than others.

Got some news for ya guys....

Most roadrailers DO limit the speed, but they limit it to 90. So they don't slow down most of the long distance trains. Also, the LSL, contrary to your posts does go above 79 in some areas....even east of Albany. And between Albany and Boston some as well. I think the speed limit is 110 at some of these points, but I know that the roadrailers keep you at 90. I found all this out from an extra board engineer when I worked the LSL.

-Late Shore- said:
Also, be sure to check out Viewliners' new web site. It's cool and it's just what I was looking for to add to my own personal collection of Amtrak pics. I'm sure that anyone who's a real train fan will love this site as well. Keep up the good work, but just a suggestion View - try to get some more interior pics. I know it's hard, so I'll understand if you can't, but congratulations on a job well done with your site. :)
Thanks for the endorsement. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back