Round trip CHI-MSP. Departing 9/25 return 9/26

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was booked this morning. My father told me yesterday he was going up to Madison, Wi to help my sister with some gardening. All day during school yesterday day I thought about options. Too late of notice to fly out Friday. No BC on Wolverines. No hotel available in Carbondale so MSP it was.

I booked it this morning once I saw there were roomettes available both ways.

Stopped and bought new shoes, the olds ones were beat to hell and hurting my feet. Then headed to union station. Printed the tickets at the machine and then headed to the usual entrance of the lounge.

The doors were locked! But I saw people inside. I remember walking by an employee sitting at a desk by the normal exit which is used to go to the platforms. So I went back. She was on the phone demanding someone relieve her for lunch. Then another employee walked by and she greeted that employee. She did silently handed me a green boarding card granting me entrance into the lounge. I silently walked by as she continued her conversation with the other employee. I saw the surprise on her face as I walked by.

This situation is caused by not having enough staff. Not good for employee or passengers.

The boarding pass stated 1:30 boarding. Texas Eagle was called, and the Zephyr was called at 1:30 vs 1:15 listed on someone’s board Pass. Now still waiting for 7 to be called.

The lounge is busy. It’s crowded. At one point Amtrak police made the rounds with a dog. It actually kind of jumped up and smelled one of the paintings. One passenger remarked that it was also an art critic. The dog must have like the painting because it didn’t **** its leg nor did it stop and leave a long, brown critique of the painting.

7 has been called at 1:51 from track 19.

They scanned tickets at the. It was cool to see that a friend was working. She was scanning tickets. Of course she was surprised. “ You didn’t tell me you were traveling.” I told her I had booked it this morning.

I am glad I’m on the lower level. I could clean the filthy windows myself because my room was on the platform side.

We departed on time at 2:15.

We arrived 20 minutes early. Many of the passengers got off. There were no alternatives so they are just stranded.

Doubletree is a mess. Had online check in. Room was occupied. The bar is cranking music that I can clearly hear in 9th floor.

When I went down I asked her when this crap would end. She said midnight. I told her I better not here it in the9th floor. I hear it. I called down and said she better go tell them to turn that crap down or I would call the police.

The morning is off to a good start. I scheduled a Lyft and it was on time. 8 was early. I suspected this could happen from watching asm and using the app. This a less than a 10 minute wait until sleepers were called. I’m in the 30 car with a room on the left side. Will enjoy the Mississippi River this morning.

Breakfast in the diner was decent. The French Toast was good. No need for whip cream, strawberries and blueberries. That's like putting graffiti on the Mona Lisa.

The crew was not particularly welcoming. A waiter barked at me when I tried to alert him not to put the fruit on the French toast. No second cup of coffee. No tip.

There were no table cloths. And plastic plates. No silver ware was used. This is somewhat annoying. A plastic knife does not cut anything easily.

The toilets stopped working in the 2830 car. A superliner 2 car. I told the attendant. I though he fixed it. Went down stairs an hour or so later to and discovered the most toxic mess I’ve seen on a train. He hadn’t made the announcement nor locked the doors. I assumed that since there was no announcement all was well. Nope.

On a positive note the lunch was delicious. I like the artisan grilled cheese. The service was not great. I did leave a tip for both meals. I suspect the crew may be dealing with the derailment. They may have had friends on that train.

Time keeping has been decent. Going to be about 20 minutes late into Chicago.

I took two long naps today to make up for last night. My last two stays at Hilton wore pretty bad. I am considering switching over to Hyatt.

I took two long naps today to make up for last night. My last two stays at Hilton wore pretty bad. I am considering switching over to Hyatt.

I had a friend stay at the Hyatt Place across from Union Depot a few years ago - it was newly refurbished, quite nice, and I remember no noise issues. Also would save on a cab or ridehail fare as it's right across from the station - very easy walk.

I looked in trip advisor after last night’s debalcle
I had a friend stay at the Hyatt Place across from Union Depot a few years ago - it was newly refurbished, quite nice, and I remember no noise issues. Also would save on a cab or ridehail fare as it's right across from the station - very easy walk.

I looked at TripAdvisor this morning and saw that hotel. Great minds think a like.

Very slow run into union station. Must be stuck behind Metra.

The French Toast was good. No need for whip cream, strawberries and blueberries. That's like putting graffiti on the Mona Lisa.

😃 I like your comment! I agree. Well prepared just a bit of butter and syrup (Maple preferred) is all that is needed. Add some fruit once in awhile is OK for me, but whipped cream (that is not even really whipped cream), No.

I like the artisan grilled cheese

I have not yet had this sandwich, but it's descriptions and the pictures that I have seen are quite appealing.

Back