Round trip from Chicago to Eugene Oregon via PDX

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stopped going to restaurants a few years ago because there were too many dishes that were unexpectedly spicy. You know it's a bad perversion when even cheesecake is spicy. They put a strawberry topping on the cheesecake, but didn't bother to reveal that it also had chile in the strawberry mix. I had attributed all the spice to living in NM, but it seems that the fire has spread.
Willbridge posted a menu from the GN lounge in 1934 that had a remedy for all that ails you.😀

The early morning slowed my thinking a bit when we arrived Portland. I was fiddling with my phone and forgetting that the train continued to Seattle. The conductor kindly reminded me that this was my stop. I jumped up and got my carry on and walked into the station to collect my checked bag.

As I was assembling my luggage I had the oh crap feeling as I thought about my Kindle sitting in the seat on the train.

I dashed back and tried to go out of the doors to the platform. They were locked. I waved to two men in yellow and black uniforms who were some kind of security. They came and opened the door. I explained my situation and they professionally helped me out. One agreed to walk me to the train to retrieve my kindle. He explained that I had plenty of time.

I got the kindle and thanked him profusely. I realized my pulling on locked doors in the station was poor response to this situation. He said he was glad to help. He also volunteered that he had had to remove 7 people from the train or station in the past few days.

There’s usually a lot of complaints about officious, unhelpful security staff that I wanted to provide a positive example. Plus I was happy to get the kindle back.

I took lift to the Dunniway Hilton and was happy to get an early check in. I took another Lyft to eat breakfast at the Original Pancake House. Since my return I have taken a nice nap and enjoyed my hotel room.

I've enjoyed the trip report! Where did you stay in Eugene?

Home2suites by Hilton. This was a nice hotel. Good customer service. Friendly. The room was clean and comfortable. It is .6 miles from the station. I took Lyft. Not sure this is a great walk for everyone, especially late at night or early in the morning. The Lane county jail is next to the station and was the first thing I noticed when we pulled in on 11.

Eugene has Lyft. I was able to get a Lyft to the station at 4:30 am. The station opens at 5 am.

Quite amusing to read of the menu options in Portland. Here in the UK our biscuits are your cookies, not a great mix, cookies and gravy, with or without "red bits" :D
I noticed something called a "Reggie", again, I have no idea what that is?
I have visited Portland a couple of times, staying in the HI Hostel. One advantage of hostels is that you can cook your own meals, and there is a wholefoods type shop quite near that hostel. One of my favourite US cities!
Enjoying hearing about your trip, so few folks travelling these days!
The British Consul General once said - thinking of the rose gardens and the weather - that Portland is an English city with a Japanese mountain.

Very interesting to read what was available as well as the prices. I never knew that valet service was available. Never saw that on a menu in a Lounge Car on PRR's overnight trains between Chicago and Columbus, OH in the 1950's and in 1960.

Collar buttons were available--front and back? What's that about? Maybe some kind of fashion accessory that has gone by the wayside?
I've seen pictures of men's fashions and read about Collar buttons. My understanding was that men that wore dress clothing didnt change their shirts daily, only the detachable Collars and cuffs, hence the use of buttons to attach them.

I think they went out of style in the 30s during the depression?

I've seen pictures of men's fashions and read about Collar buttons. My understanding was that men that wore dress clothing didnt change their shirts daily, only the detachable Collars and cuffs, hence the use of buttons to attach them.

I think they went out of style in the 30s during the depression?
Here in the UK they were known as collar studs, rather than buttons. Apparently still in use at Eton?
Detachable collars...

I’ve hibernated in the Dunniway Hilton. A great room and a greater bathroom with walk in shower. I was granted a Kate check out. The plan is to order lunch at Bowery Bagels and then have Lyft drive me from the hotel, there, and onto the station.

27 was 45 minutes late. So I’m anticipating an on time departure this afternoon on 28.

I’m in the station. No AC once again. But the fans are positioned better for air circulation.

I got a look at the orientation of the 2830 car. Looks like odd rooms are on the left. So I will have different view going home. If it’s not crowded I’ll enjoy the view of the Columbia Gorge from the lounge.

There is a Facebook group devoted to taking your own booze on Amtrak. This was my contribution.

One of your card carrying members got booted off of 50 in Hinton last month. But he also belonged to the group DETSSOT. Dumb enough to smoke something on a train. The conduct told him to lay off the Pot and the booze. He informed the conductor that consuming booze in the sleepers was his right. So off the train he went.

The SCA’s name is Derrick. He introduced himself and gave me a voice of a chicken salad or a roast beef sandwich. Having eaten 3 sea salt bagels with lox and cream cheese 2 hours a go I’ll take one for the team. I’ll deconstruct the sandwich and eat what I believe to be edible. Photos and descriptions to follow. Viewer discretion is advised.

We have Engine number 2 pulling 28 today. I thought this was a good omen from my coaching days on the south side of Chicago. The lower the number, the bigger a stud your skill position player is. The running back or quarterback usually gets #2. He’s usually fast and strong.

Number 2 has gotten off to a rough start today. There were 2 stops and starts out of Portland. And one start and stop out if Vancouver. The engineer speculated it is some sort of speed sensor. I think Maybe it the positive train control? The engine seems to do ok once we are on the move.

First time in many trips ( you all know it’s a lot) that I’ve needed duct tape. The outlet in my room does not hold the plug that I use to charge my phone and it’s battery case and Apple Watch and assorted electronics connected on the other end via usb cords.

Fortunately I can use an outlet in the hallway to charge my mophie back up charger. So all is not lost.

I overheard the engineer discussing with the dispatcher that something disengages When the train operates at speeds below 10 mph and that causes the train to stop. This happens after the train has stopped.

Back