Round trip from Chicago to Eugene Oregon via PDX

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to the lounge for some peanut m&ms and root beer to cleanse the palate. And enjoy scenery. This attendant was very nice explained that I need to tell her I’m in the sleepers so I don’t pay for my soft drinks. She got the 20. Her tip, plus the tip the rude guy coming out did not get. I told her what had happened. I was not mad about paying for soda. But rudeness and long breaks not. This practice has been going on for two weeks and is only on 27/28 because it’s too far for 2730/2830 passengers to walk to diner. Nice touch.

#2 got out of bingen White Salmon without a hesitation move.
And for trivia fans, Bingen is named for Bingen on the Rhine. It definitely has an American pronunciation, however. Depending on the time of year it might look as though you're riding the Rheingold, but summers are hotter in the Washington version and the dam pools make the Great River of the West look like a lake. Photo from the lounge car on Train 28.

columbia33.jpg

The ride from Portland East. B7176E1A-27CF-4FCD-A7DF-D9CCCA4E41B9.jpegF4A0C76C-71FD-4BF7-AFDB-CE0A67D0E1BC.jpeg

Attachments

• 3D8D1D19-3B29-430D-B739-BC200AF04DA9.jpeg
    3D8D1D19-3B29-430D-B739-BC200AF04DA9.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 13
  • EB707B13-D521-44FC-9685-012B3FE82AE0.jpeg
    EB707B13-D521-44FC-9685-012B3FE82AE0.jpeg
    46.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 7D141533-2B20-4BE7-965E-BC4DDC8193EF.jpeg
    7D141533-2B20-4BE7-965E-BC4DDC8193EF.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 3A67B6D3-6445-47D6-8885-A04CD57DD6AC.jpeg
    3A67B6D3-6445-47D6-8885-A04CD57DD6AC.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 93D5C7EC-FF0D-42AA-9C6A-807FAAE2395E.jpeg
    93D5C7EC-FF0D-42AA-9C6A-807FAAE2395E.jpeg
    39.2 KB · Views: 13
The ride from Portland East.

The bridge in photo 3A is the Oregon Trunk line, BN's 'Inside Gateway' route to California. In earlier years, the Coast Starlight used it for detours north of Chemult. Properly dispatched it takes the same amount of time to reach Vancouver, WA as the padded regular route. The Oregon Trunk Mixed ran Wishram<>Bend all stops until Amtrak took over.

My random thoughts on the Great Northern observation-lounge "menu":

*I put menu in quotes because there are NO food items at all. Lots of drinks and smoking, but nothing for sale to snack on. 🤔 Sometimes you're hungry but don't want a full meal. Were there free snacks (pretzels, nuts, or such) at the bar?

*They avoided the eternal Coke vs. Pepsi debate by serving both. :)

*Laxative water. :oops:

*Insanely well-stocked bar, except for beers. In a train going to the Pacific Northwest, no less. Sometimes the world changes for the better. ;)

*Speaking of beers, one option is a generic brand-less beer. I presume as it was in bottles that it wasn't literally generic but they weren't promising a particular brand.

*Cigarettes and aspirin would not be sold where prohibited. :oops: Was there somewhere that outright banned aspirin, or required a prescription so Pullman couldn't sell it there?

*Was shoe shining not listed as a valet service because Pullman passengers had their shoes shined at night by the sleeping-car porter?

Last edited:
My random thoughts on the Great Northern observation-lounge "menu":

*I put menu in quotes because there are NO food items at all. Lots of drinks and smoking, but nothing for sale to snack on. 🤔 Sometimes you're hungry but don't want a full meal. Were there free snacks (pretzels, nuts, or such) at the bar?
I don't know if they had complimentary snacks offered, but this was just the observation bar in the rear sleeper for Pullman passenger's only. The train also had a full diner, as well as a lunch counter-lounge car offering snacks and meals. You certainly wouldn't go hungry.....;)

We have been running 20 minutes late all morning until reaching Shelby. There’s padding in the schedule so we are now on time.

My mophie charger gave a good charge to my phone and battery as well as my Apple Watch. It also added a significant charge to my kindle before running out. The plug in the wallets near the stairs works and I am recharging the Mophie there. It’s stashed out of sight. The attendant gave me permission to do this last night.

He had the shower set up nicely and he made my bed in a timely manner. So things are going well.

but this was just the observation bar in the rear sleeper for Pullman passenger's only.

I wonder if this car was like a Pullman sleeper that the PRR operated on the Chicago-Columbus, Ohio route. It was designed to be the last car on the train with windows around the side and at the rear of the car. The front part of the car had Sections with the Lounge/Bar at the rear.

We are on time into Havre.

The conductor who took over in Shelby was quite over the top in his warnings about not being drunk and following mask protocol. There were statements like “I don’t want to fill out the Paperwork to put someone off but I’ll do it if I have too.” And “If you are old enough to purchase alcohol you are expected to act like an adult and not over indulge.” And.”Thetes nothing going on in Montana. So don’t do something to be put off the train.”

This attendant was very nice explained that I need to tell her I’m in the sleepers so I don’t pay for my soft drinks...

This practice has been going on for two weeks and is only on 27/28 because it’s too far for 2730/2830 passengers to walk to diner. Nice touch.

So are soft drinks free now for sleeper pax on 27 and 28? Do you think that goes for tea, as well? I am a tea drinker, and have always had to pay for my mid-morning cuppa on the train, except on train with Business Class. Would be nice to get that cuppa when I am in sleeper, like the coffee drinkers do.

Interesting three way meet. 8 met two westbound freights at a double siding. The main line was in the middle. 8 diverged off of the main line onto the southern most track. The two west bound freights occupied the main line and the other siding on the north side of the main line.

So are soft drinks free now for sleeper pax on 27 and 28? Do you think that goes for tea, as well? I am a tea drinker, and have always had to pay for my mid-morning cuppa on the train, except on train with Business Class. Would be nice to get that cuppa when I am in sleeper, like the coffee drinkers do.

I would assume so. I don’t know that the choice of tea would excite an avid tea drinker. My gf is a tea drinker. She’s brought her own and sent me to the diner on 21/22 numerous times for hot water. The crew willingly obliged even outside of meal times. I’m assuming the lounge car has hot water for tea. Don’t recall doing it there but I must have at some point.

I am a tea drinker also. With flex dining, soft drinks are tea are "free" for sleeper passengers. I bring my own tea bags for hot tea, but I will drink the bottled ice tea that is provided to passengers in the sleeper lounge. To my knowledge, there was no limit.

Interesting three way meet. 8 met two westbound freights at a double siding. The main line was in the middle. 8 diverged off of the main line onto the southern most track. The two west bound freights occupied the main line and the other siding on the north side of the main line.

Sounds like Glasgow, MT. There are overlapping sidings there.

I wonder if this car was like a Pullman sleeper that the PRR operated on the Chicago-Columbus, Ohio route. It was designed to be the last car on the train with windows around the side and at the rear of the car. The front part of the car had Sections with the Lounge/Bar at the rear.
Similar...the Empire Builder used heavyweight equipment from its start in 1929, until steamlined in 1947. So very likely the sleeper observation lounge had an open platform at the rear, with bedrooms and compartments forward....

We arrived MSP at 7:15. 27 minutes early. I had a good nights sleep. I charged my mophie charger while I was sleeping. Then when I woke up it had a full charge. I hooked up my phone and watch around 4 am. Had a full charge for the watch, the phone, and it’s battery case. I’m good to go for today.

The toilets in the 2830 car stopped working during the evening. So now we all walk up to the next car. Fortunately the AC is working well.

There are more people riding. There was a waitlist for breakfast. In the 2830 car there are more incidents of rounding a corner and someone is there. Luggage rack is full.

The coaches filled up after MSP.

Those two former Amtrak cars were most likely the former Northern Pacific Diner 460 and Water-Baggage 409 going to the Northern Pacific Railway Museum in Toppenish, Wash. They are expected to arrive in Toppenish this coming week.
Oh wow! I didn' t know there was such a museum so close to my home... a day and a half away! Looked it up and they are closed due to the pandemic... but will definitely put in my car trip plans. BTW their website says they are anticipating receiving those cars you discussed.

https://nprymuseum.org/8509-dining-car-2/
Screen Shot 2020-08-23 at 9.02.00 AM.png

Back