Round trip to Chicago- Washington, DC. 50, 29

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This trip was planned relatively quickly. It came about because of the “I want to ride a train now” urge. I talked with my buddy Mike, and he was game too. So the trip was booked on Sunday night. On Thursday we would take 50 to Washington, DC. On Saturday we would take 29 back.

At the same time I read on AU that Amtrak would start pe-ordering of meals fo all sleeping car passengers on east coast trains. Apparently we missed the cut off for receiving this service. Neither of us received emails for preordering meals. This currently is not an issue because we gorged on a medium thin crest Connie’s pizza for lunch.

We are now sitting in the metropolitan lounge with stuffed stomach and anticipation for Mike’s first ride on the Cardinal.

There are about 15 people in the lounge right now. There were not that many earlier before departures of 21, 3,5, and 7.

An unexpected surprise was a close colleague driving to Connie’s to meet us after seeing Mike’s post about our lunch at Connie’s on Facebook. This was a highlight of our lunch and got our trip off to a great start.

This trip was planned relatively quickly. It came about because of the “I want to ride a train now” urge. I talked with my buddy Mike, and he was game too. So the trip was booked on Sunday night. On Thursday we would take 50 to Washington, DC. On Saturday we would take 29 back.

At the same time I read on AU that Amtrak would start pe-ordering of meals fo all sleeping car passengers on east coast trains. Apparently we missed the cut off for receiving this service. Neither of us received emails for preordering meals. This currently is not an issue because we gorged on a medium thin crest Connie’s pizza for lunch.

We are now sitting in the metropolitan lounge with stuffed stomach and anticipation for Mike’s first ride on the Cardinal.

There are about 15 people in the lounge right now. There were not that many earlier before departures of 21, 3,5, and 7.
Yall have a good and safe trip, Hi to Mike too!

Look forward to your trip reports!

The sleeper is full on 50. Not sure about coach. Boarding from lounge was a single file line. The agent Leading the line was pleasant and efficient. I’ve seen her on several different trips and she has always been helpful. Today she printed Mike’s ticket since I could not get quick trac to work for us.

50 boarded on track 26. Another train was unloading on 28. This was bit crowded and messy. The sca for the sleeper is an African American lady named chen(sp?). She efficiently greeted us and suggested extra luggage be kept in the handicapped room.

Dinner order taken before crossing 55th street. They had the pasta so I thought I would try it.
Pasta? Chicken Fetuccini or Meatballs? I wish I was with you guys. It has been a year since I have seen you (and longer for Mike). (BTW, KK and I were texting last night about your trip)

We miss you too. It’s the pasta with meatballs. Currently sitting waiting for freight traffic.
I hear that the pasta with meatballs is probably the best entree. ❤ What is Mike eating? Too bad you and Mike cannot send me your free alcoholic beverages. LOL ;)
I am looking forward to your next post.

Breakfast was interesting. All tables blocked in lounge car except for crew use. I told LSA that my bed was still down. He fixed breakfast for me then put the bed up. Crews are working diligently to serve passengers under challenging conditions.

Attachments

• 3CE24565-39C4-4092-A7F4-17FF004AA506.jpeg
    3CE24565-39C4-4092-A7F4-17FF004AA506.jpeg
    34.9 KB · Views: 32
Could you give a report on the state of air conditioning, especially on the Capitol Limited. I read that Superliners are having serious AC issues. Thanks

I will do that. Currently on a viewliner sleeper. AC is working well. The wear and tear is evident. Does not appear that extra cleaning has been done on this car for some time. It’s going to be hot the next few days. So should be able to give my report about AC.

A person was caught smoking pot in their roomette. Conductor had a talk with him. Warned him about having liquor too. Passenger told conductor that he was allowed to have alcohol. Conductor explained that passenger had already been caught with pot. So he should plan to get off at next stop which will be prince.

Nice trip along the New River. E55694DF-17D2-469F-8902-F30CA6EE8C32.jpeg

Attachments

• D90289B1-227B-4012-85C6-F29E1DF140F9.jpeg
    D90289B1-227B-4012-85C6-F29E1DF140F9.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 14
Back