RPA Now restoring points benefit

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last Jauary I renewed my membership to RPA. This was before the Covid crisis hit. While being a senior I renewed at the regular adult rate just to give them a boost. I received ZERO AGR points back then. Now they are saying that they are restoring the points benefit. Why should I believe them now? I question their business model.

Last Jauary I renewed my membership to RPA. This was before the Covid crisis hit. While being a senior I renewed at the regular adult rate just to give them a boost. I received ZERO AGR points back then. Now they are saying that they are restoring the points benefit. Why should I believe them now? I question their business model.
I see no reason not to believe the email you likely received today. RPA informed members previously that AGR points would not be awarded with RPA memberships. RPA has now found a way to reinstate that benefit.
Here is the text of the email I received today:

I hope this note finds you and yours well, healthy and taking the best possible care of yourself. Today, I write to you with good news. Effective November 15, 2020, the Rail Passengers Association will resume awarding Amtrak Guest Rewards (AGR) points for new or renewed memberships.

Last fall in Sacramento, before any of us knew about COVID-19, the Rail Passengers Council of Representatives issued a crystal-clear mandate: your Association had to operate as close as possible to a balanced budget in 2020. We did our best this year to comply with the Council's wishes while still addressing the very real financial implications of the coronavirus crisis. That meant we’ve had to make many painful cuts this year. One of those was the suspension of our AGR points benefit, which was costing us an average of 15-17% of membership dues received. Just as at many other organizations large and small, the coronavirus has pushed us to review all of our business practices.

Our Membership Subcommittee spent the summer working on a retooled version of the AGR points program which will only cost an average of 5-6% of membership dues, resulting in a 70% cost reduction to the Association. That is money that we can direct toward fighting for more and better trains.

While the benefit won't be quite as generous as before, all members joining or renewing at the Senior level or above will receive at least three AGR points per dollar of membership revenue. And each step up in membership level results in more points received per dollar spent.

As an additional way for your Association to save money, we've given members the choice to opt out of receiving points, thus allowing a larger share of their membership dues to go directly to funding the Association's work.

It's important to note that as before, any AGR points received will reduce the tax-deductible amount of your membership dues, at a rate of 2.5¢ per point. Our new AGR Points System is below.
Rail Passengers Association Guest Rewards Points System
Membership TypeAnnual DuesAnnual PointsMonthly DuesMonthly Points
Senior$50100$58
Individual$60125$610
Family$80200$816
Sustaining$125350$1229
Advocate Bronze$160450$1537
Advocate Silver$290900$2775
Advocate Gold$5501,800$49150
Silver Rail Society$1,0003,500$85291
Silver Rail Society Plus$2,50010,000$225833

It took a lot of doing to get RPA out of its spending habits, and one of the unfortunate side effects was the temporary discontinuance of the AGR points. There always was a plan to restore them once they figured out how to fund it without negatively affecting RPA's ability to fund its main mission related projects while keeping the books balanced. Happily they have arrived at that point and are able to restore the benefit, albeit at a somewhat lower level.

Last edited:
While the benefit won't be quite as generous as before, all members joining or renewing at the Senior level or above will receive at least three AGR points per dollar of membership revenue.
Senior$50100$58

I'm confused. That looks like 2 points per dollar annually, or 1.6 points monthly. What am I missing?

So, a couple of things:
(1) If there's spill-over from before the virus, I'd say put in a call to the office. I can talk with Jim about handling pre-virus commitments there.
(2) As to the math issue...I'll call in and ask.

Senior$50100$58

I'm confused. That looks like 2 points per dollar annually, or 1.6 points monthly. What am I missing?
What's confusing? If you accept a longer membership you get more points. If the ratio was the same they wouldn't need to break it out like this. Makes sense to me and I'll probably be switching back to the annual plan at this point.

What's confusing? If you accept a longer membership you get more points. If the ratio was the same they wouldn't need to break it out like this. Makes sense to me and I'll probably be switching back to the annual plan at this point.

I think the confusion is that the communication (which joel highlighted) says the benefit will be "at least three AGR points per dollar" and yet the chart clearly indicates that many will not be at that level.

Maybe it is a case of Marketing Department forgot to verify that the marketing blurb is consistent with what the finance department agreed to :) Or more concisely they did an incomplete job of editing the original blurb to align fully with the new table,

I will bring it to the attention of the powers that be. Thanks for bringing it up.

Got an email this morning from RPA clarifying the points.

Senior Level and above receive at least 2 points per dollar
Advocate Silver and above receive at least 3 points per dollar

Back