RPA Spring 2022 Alexandria VA Meeting

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course the tracks and platforms are at ground level and not on any elevated structure.

As for the platform height, I thought the platform was built at the same height as the Tri-Rail platform, which is certainly several inches above rail head. But I have not been there nor read much about it in quite a while. So don't know for sure. I am sure we will ask Amtrak about it at the upcoming RPA Council Meeting in Alexandria.
Have you heard if this year’s meeting/event will have an online component? I have purchased admission to the event but it’s looking like I may be unable to make the trip down - but would really like to watch online if this is going to be a hybrid type event.

Have you heard if this year’s meeting/event will have an online component? I have purchased admission to the event but it’s looking like I may be unable to make the trip down - but would really like to watch online if this is going to be a hybrid type event.
Unless something changes between now and then, this year will be a purely face to face meeting. It is an issue of keeping costs within reasonable bounds since the hotels charge an arm and a leg to provide the facilities for adding an online component; or so we were told at the Board Meeting.

There will definitely be an Amtrak session led by an Amtrak Equipment person.

Unless something changes between now and then, this year will be a purely face to face meeting. It is an issue of keeping costs within reasonable bounds since the hotels charge an arm and a leg to provide the facilities for adding an online component; or so we were told at the Board Meeting.

Good to know - I’ll have to see what I can do. Do you know which day that session would be on?

Good to know - I’ll have to see what I can do. Do you know which day that session would be on?
Monday is the presentation sessions. Tuesday the whole day is Council Business Meeting, but there will be two parallel session with some discussions, maybe some committee meetings. There are time slots with nothing penciled in at present.

I've already complained to Jim. I don't consider this acceptable during an active pandemic. The council business meeting should be postponed to an online activity regardless of what the meet-and-greet is going.

I've already complained to Jim. I don't consider this acceptable during an active pandemic. The council business meeting should be postponed to an online activity regardless of what the meet-and-greet is going.
Good. Since I was merely an observer at the Board meeting I was not in a position to verbally protest.

Even though at present I am set up to attend the meeting, that could change depending on how things go.

Do you know when that session will be held? I am considering traveling to ALX for a day and that is a session I would like to attend.

Do you know when that session will be held? I am considering traveling to ALX for a day and that is a session I would like to attend.
All presentation sessions are on Monday.

Tuesday is Council Business Meeting.

Wednesday is Day on the Hill, with some alternate workshops at the hotel for those not going to the hill.

I am arriving by 92 on Sunday and returning by 91 on Wednesday, if plans do not change. These days they have a tendency to change often.

BTW, Amtrak has still not notified me of my change from 98 to 91 on Wednesday, but I do know about it through due diligence..

I am traveling to the meeting now aboard 195. Making a lunch stopover in Wilmington on the way down. Will be re-boarding 87 the rest of the way at 5 PM this evening. Are non council-members who are paid attendees of the event allowed to attend any of the Tuesday council activities or are those for council members only?

I am traveling to the meeting now aboard 195. Making a lunch stopover in Wilmington on the way down. Will be re-boarding 87 the rest of the way at 5 PM this evening. Are non council-members who are paid attendees of the event allowed to attend any of the Tuesday council activities or are those for council members only?
Any registered meeting attendee can attend the Council Meetings. Only Council Members and Officers with voting rights according to the bylaws can make motions and vote on them, and of course count towards quorum.

The Council Meeting this time will be a hybrid one in which many Council members will participate remotely and vote via Zoom, while those physically present will of course participate at site and vote as is normally done in meetings.

I am taking along a Trollop novel to it. It will be a tedious one. There are a dozen and a half mutually inconsistent bylaw amendment motions that have been put on the docket.

Last edited:
BTW, according to irritated messages from a few RPA attendees trying to get to the meeting on train 30, apparently the only Sleeper on that train has been bad ordered leading to a lot of irate Sleeper passengers who are being offered Coach.

I think Chestler is going to get an earful and then some on Monday.

Incidentally, Monday's sessions will not be streamed live, but will be recorded and will be available for viewing later.
Tuesday's session will be Zoomed to only those that register for Zoom. I don't think anyone beyond the Council members have been invited to register for Zoom.

Last edited:
BTW, according to irritated messages from a few RPA attendees trying to get to the meeting on train 30, apparently the only Sleeper on that train has been bad ordered leading to a lot of irate Sleeper passengers who are being offered Coach.

I think Chestler is going to get an earful and then some on Monday.

Incidentally, Monday's sessions will not be streamed live, but will be recorded and will be available for viewing later.
Tuesday's session will be Zoomed to only those that register for Zoom. I don't think anyone beyond the Council members have been invited to register for Zoom.
Hopefully your sleeper on 92 is in good order.

Back