Rude Passengers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

had8ley

Engineer
I never went to Georgetown School of Foreign Service to learn how to be a diplomat but...the other day I was on # 20 and a booming voice permeated the H room. I walked down the hall and in room 6 is an obvious Brooklyn accented slob tearing his secretary up on his cell phone with almost all four letter words. All the other roomette occupants had shut their doors~ one even stuffed pillows and blankets against the door and window. I interupted this monster, of course his door was wide open, and told him we were getting ready to go through a tunnel and he would lose reception. After scolding his gal he hung up. There was no tunnel, but how would my fellow posters have handled this joker ??? :eek:hboy:

I probably would have asked the attendant to please ask these people to shut their doors....(of course i did that once and the attendant relocated me to the crew car....whatever....)
rolleyes.gif

i agree....people forget that even though they're in their own space, if they are not considerate, then the whole car will hear them....

Unfortunately, our tolerance for foul language has allowed these crude individuals to invade air space with their ignorance.

My grandmother once told me that those who swear incessantly only show their lack of vocabulary. :angry:

I would have asked the person to shut his door and reminded him that others in the car did not appreciate his vulgar language, especially those with children. :angry2:

If that didnt work I would call the car attendant and conductor and ask how long the passengers in the car would need to tolerate his behavior. :help:

I feel better all ready :p

Maybe this guy just lost $15,000,000 of business because his secretary thought txt'ing with her friends was more important? :rolleyes:

Sorry, but just sometimes, an employee needs and deserves a "dressing down".

The foul language is almost a side note as any loud conversation that can be heard by the entire

car is unacceptable. I'm not sure I'd agree with the fake tunnel method (though points for creativity)

as this sets up a confrontation later on if the guy realizes he's been fooled. A simple request

is probably the best way to start as he may simply not realize how much his conversation is carrying.

If that didn't work I'd ask the SCA (or just start with the SCA if they are nearby...but if they are nearby

you'd think they might proactively address the situation.

As someone from Brooklyn, I'm pleased you didn't misspell my name. :giggle:

I am going to remember the tunnel ploy. Assuming the guy figures out that you did not go thru a tunnel (which I doubt), maybe he will be smart enough to figure out your real point. If he approaches you later for interfering, then he's opened the door for an adult conversation. You'll win that one easily.

Ask to if you could see his cell phone, while at the same time yanking it from his hand, then walk to the vestibule, open the window, and WHOOSH. Problem solved. (of course you might have other problems, but at least one is solved)

And I thought this thread was named after me, I'm sooooooooo vain........

On one occasion I was involved in a too loud cell phone call. Someone advised me and I appreciated it. However approaching Somebody when they ate obviously angry could set up a confrontation. It depends on the situation.

Ask to if you could see his cell phone, while at the same time yanking it from his hand, then walk to the vestibule, open the window, and WHOOSH. Problem solved.
Just like the TV commercial on the ski lift where one guy asks the other if he can ask his ex out. And when she sends a video, the other guy asks to see it - and throws the cell from the ski lift!
laugh.gif

It DOES sound like you, Jerry!
mosking.gif

I seriously doubt that anyone cussing out his secretary would really care what anyone else thought about his $!*# language. He'd probably tell you to mind your own @!*% business, while also calling you a %^#2*% son of a ^#3*^@! He might also point out that it's a free country, he paid for his *#2@%$ seat, and that you were what was so @1*^ wrong with this country. And to some degree, I'd have to agree with him. But the tunnel ploy--or even a "heads up" about "dead spots" for cell phones--might be a good way to get him to shut up.

What irks me are folks who feel entitled to be insulted when another passenger is having a cellphone conversation during daytime hours in the same level of voice as those who are conversing among themselves. Perhaps these easily offended passengers simply find it aggravating to only hear half of a conversation?

It's almost as if cellphone users now are filling the ecological niche once solely occupied by smokers. I don't know how many times I've seen people approach smokers who are enjoying a cigarette in a designated area outdoors and insist that their delicate nasal passages are still being harmed from a distance of 20 feet or more.

I don't smoke and I seldom use my cellphone in public areas -- and when I do, I do so quietly and quickly. Still, I find it sad that our society feels the constant need to have designated social pariahs.

What irks me are folks who feel entitled to be insulted when another passenger is having a cellphone conversation during daytime hours in the same level of voice as those who are conversing among themselves.
I've notice that people who tall on cell phone do not use the same level of voice that they normally talk. They usually speak LOUDER into the cell so the person on the other end can hear them!
rolleyes.gif

That is one reason that in the Quiet cars, it says "NO cell Phone Use"! If people talked on cell phones in a normal level of voice, why would they restrict use?
huh.gif

The foul language is almost a side note as any loud conversation that can be heard by the entire

car is unacceptable. I'm not sure I'd agree with the fake tunnel method (though points for creativity)

as this sets up a confrontation later on if the guy realizes he's been fooled. A simple request

is probably the best way to start as he may simply not realize how much his conversation is carrying.

If that didn't work I'd ask the SCA (or just start with the SCA if they are nearby...but if they are nearby

you'd think they might proactively address the situation.
I think I left out part of the story; I went looking for our SCA at first. He was in the lounge car with the A/C~ he said he had asked this character to either close the door or refrain from profanity...he got a dose of four letter words and was chased off so I kinda knew what to expect.

I never went to Georgetown School of Foreign Service to learn how to be a diplomat but...the other day I was on # 20 and a booming voice permeated the H room. I walked down the hall and in room 6 is an obvious Brooklyn accented slob tearing his secretary up on his cell phone with almost all four letter words. All the other roomette occupants had shut their doors~ one even stuffed pillows and blankets against the door and window. I interupted this monster, of course his door was wide open, and told him we were getting ready to go through a tunnel and he would lose reception. After scolding his gal he hung up. There was no tunnel, but how would my fellow posters have handled this joker ??? :eek:hboy:
I would have told him his mother was in the next room with a bar of soap which she is going to use to wash out his mouth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the Conductor should have politely asked the person to control his volume and profanity.....if he refused to comply, the Conductor could politely have him detrain at the next available location with a Police force...... :cool:

Google "Global Gadget RX10"

It shuts them all up

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back