Rules regarding Diner doubling as a lounge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1966 Denver Zephyr 'Chuck Wagon': includes OBS crew berths in the economy food service car. The Steward has a private room that could have doubled as a workspace.
View attachment 26545

I had a meal in the Chuckwagon when I rode the Denver Zephyr in 1968 with the Scouts. The food in the special dining car they had for us did not exactly fill up my voracious 14 year old frame, so I went to the Chuckwagon and got a pizza. I wouldn't exactly call it an "economy" food service car: the pizza was $5, which was the equivalent of about $40 in today's money. It wasn't a bad pizza, though. After that, I went up into the dome car and rode for a while into the night, looking ahead and watching the signals turn from green to red as the front of the train passed them.

I haven't been able to find it with a Google search, so maybe not so famous.

Nobody's doing paperwork, just apparently checking tickets or the manifest. There isn't really anyplace to sit and do paperwork in that photo.

I did find photos of other lounges on the train with full tables, but not any with seated staff.
It’s in the Lucius Beebe book on the 20th Century.

Sounds interesting. Unfortunately, the book is out of print, not available at my local library nor on either of its e-book services, and the cheapest used copy I could find sells for $20 with shipping.
Not a bad price if it is in reasonable condition. Most new RR books nowadays are $50 and up.

Sounds interesting. Unfortunately, the book is out of print, not available at my local library nor on either of its e-book services, and the cheapest used copy I could find sells for $20 with shipping.
The book is a gem. You need to get it. It has a treasured place in my library. I got it when I was 12. Here is the picture which is from the 1930’s 20th Century Limited, so crews have been doing their paperwork in dining and lounge cars for quite some time. Happy New Year!

Attachments

• C70D8389-6FED-401B-9899-BB4953C579FD.jpeg
    C70D8389-6FED-401B-9899-BB4953C579FD.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 11
The book is a gem. You need to get it. It has a treasured place in my library. I got it when I was 12. Here is the picture which is from the 1930’s 20th Century Limited, so crews have been doing their paperwork in dining and lounge cars for quite some time. Happy New Year!
Thanks for posting it!

I notice that there are 4 crew members working at one table, not 4 crew members relaxing at four tables. ;)

Thanks for posting it!

I notice that there are 4 crew members working at one table, not 4 crew members relaxing at four tables. ;)
Interestingly, the photo caption identifies that those four have a combined 150 years of railroad service! Also, I was mistaken; the date is 1947.

Thanks for posting it!

I've seen two workers and 4 tables used - probably the other two were off doing something but they wouldn't want to let passengers use those tables because having one's own is a sign of superiority.

I remember a few years ago, I was heading east on Empire Maker getting on at Everett. It was running late as there was mechanical issues and they had to drop a coach car in Seattle. The diner was used as a coach until we hooked up with the Portland half in Spokane. The dining car people were not very happy when they started setting the tables early in the morning and we were still there. We did hit Spokane before they started serving breakfast.

Back