Rumors about Amtrak move to the MIC at Miami International Airport

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strictly speaking, the Miami station is a "Amtrak Standard Station Type 300A".

peter
Yes, here's most of what you need to know about the Amtrak Standard Stations Program:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amtrak_Standard_Stations_Program
While these were architecturally very undistinguished and built to the taste of the 1970s, they were designed to be real stations, not Amshacks. Apparently, they couldn't even afford to build many of them, and thus the true Amshack was born, or they managed to finagle states and localities to pony up the cash to restore old stations or build new ones (I.e. Albany.)

I suspect that was what would have been provided in Portland, Oregon if Amtrak's effort to get out of Union Station had proceeded.
😲🤮
I don't know. Probably would have been a Type 150B like the old Albany/Rennsalear station. Even Buffalo/Depew only has an "extended" version of a Type 75C (like Tacoma's recently decommissioned Puyallup Ave station, but with a bigger waiting room).

Yeah, my question was intended to be: Why is the number of crossings significant with regards to a backup move? Because IIRC @railiner asked how the number of crossings on the possible MIA backup move compared to the LA backup move.
Yeah, they just have to blow the air horn more and be more alert with their brake valve, just do the same thing more times...

Yeah, my question was intended to be: Why is the number of crossings significant with regards to a backup move? Because IIRC @railiner asked how the number of crossings on the possible MIA backup move compared to the LA backup move.
I am not familiar enough with either route to know, but I just imagined that if the Miami route had a lot more, it might require a slower speed, and take longer for the same distance. And more prudent to have a a switch engine make the yard moves, than a Conductor with a tail hose.
Not sure…

Here is the complete skiny of the back up crossings according to open railway maps.
1. From the Mia yardsy ou have 2 grade crossing before joining the Sun Rail track: Are they private? Then it is 10 more to MIC.

Now Tampa: after entering the east leg of Neve wye train maybe stops. beyond east 10 th ave..
2. then back across 10 th and 2 more on west leg of wye.
3. then 13 before trolly + (1 for trolly ? )
4. then 13 more to station.

Counting trolly that is a total of 30 ? seems awful high.

Question about the station. Open railway shows track 1 out of service (OOS). Tracks 2 & 3 in service to station's bumpers bumpers . 4 &5 OOS. A track 6 shows that is installed but not connected to track 3. Is that track 6 a display track?

You can check my math by zooming in on open railway map.

https://www.openrailwaymap.org/

Last edited:
At least the pax will have easy access to rental cars at the end of their trip.

Not just rental cars but lots of hotels around the airport too. Many offer free shuttles to the cruiseports the next morning. Very convenient for cruise passengers.

And direct access to the Miami Metro too.

Also much better connection to the local bus network. The existing station appears to be served by two bus routes, compared to 9 or so that stop at the intermodal center including the express service to South Beach.

Back