Rumors/facts about Superliner refurbishment/replacement

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There has been discussions in several posts about the need to replace or refurbish the superliners. I thought it would be beneficial to start a separate thread for this discussion. I’ve grown to appreciate the superliners. I was about 10 years old when they came out. I had had enough dome care rides to lament the demise of the dome cars. But now I appreciate the superliners too.

As far as I know there Amtrak has not announced plans for replacing the Superliners or refurbishing them. I myself hopefully proposed a refurbishment that would address the issues with hvac and toilets not functioning at higher altitudes. Others have proposed running Siemens trains with European style sleepers.

So, let the fun begin. 😎

Actually planned refurbishment of some Superliners was recently covered in another thread. There was discussion about it being mostly cosmetic. Isn't that really the only short-term answer if Amtrak wants to keep running all current services? Replacements will be years away.

It depends on what "plan" means. Amtrak does have a long term plan to replace the entire Long Distance Fleet. The execution of said long term plan is not at a stage where RFPs can be issued yet, though in the unlikely event that the proposed Infrastructure proposal is fully funded, such execution may be accelerated to take advantage of the available funds within the window of availability perhaps.

Naturally since preliminary specifications have not been started it is impossible to answer questions like whether they will be multi-levels, bi-levels or single levels, at this time.

All that has been stated by Mr. Chestler is that over the next 12 months, there will be a refurbishment of the LD fleet, similar to what was done to Amfleets and Acelas. This will include both the Superliners and the Viewliner Is.

I think it is worthwhile posting this document as a refresher in the context of this discussion as Amtrak seems to be following it pretty closely with just a couple of significant decisions added on...

Amtrak Equipment Asset Line Plan

It is now becoming quite clear that the 2020 Reauthorization will require continuation and enhancement even of the Long Distance network which apparently the Anderson-lings were not necessarily expecting. So that should solidify the nature of the LD fleet replacement,, the Superliner part of which is said to be 2025 onward. So expect some work starting to become visible by the end of 2023 on it.

Last edited:
I personally love the superliner design and look. I will miss it dearly when it’s replaced.

I know there are reasons that the Superliners aren't the best choice, but I do love them for being able to ride up high. They also feel roomier, especially when they still use the downstairs of the Sightseer Lounge for tables and the cafe service. I hated a few years ago when I went on the Cap Ltd and they did all upstairs service so there was less room to spread out.

I would love it if they replaced the sleepers with this:
VR Sleeper

No issues connecting with single-level cars but the style and layout may be a bit too European for the US market

VR Sleeper

No issues connecting with single-level cars but the style and layout may be a bit too European for the US market
Simply_Railway, in his SWC video, said those would be good replacements too. However I think they are too tall, so the design would have to be changed a bit.

VR Sleeper

Personally I'd to travel in one. The layout might work in something the size of a Superliner. I've heard the upper berths in Superliner Bedrooms aren't as bad as in the Roomettes because they're perpendicular instead of parallel to the direction of travel so they aren't entirely under the lower part of the ceiling. So you could have a bilevel all Bedroom car, possibly with one level having smaller rooms w/o ensuites instead of Roomettes.

VR Sleeper

I don't like it. Tiny window, which is not aligned with the bed. Uncomfortable-looking tiny jump seat with no back, and shins up against the step for the upper bunk.

These appear to be suitable for strictly night travel, but not for daytime.

Back