Rumors on Facebook about Amtrak removing 530/630 car line number

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi! This is my first post and first overnight on Amtrak! Looking forward to it but I am assigned to car 630 for a trip in August. The Facebook group insists that this car doesn't exist but Amtrak Rewards says not to worry. (I've called three times and have gotten the same answer each time.) Any advice on whether I need to keep calling? Thanks!!
Welcome to AU, this is a great community. Ask any questions you may have

Hi! This is my first post and first overnight on Amtrak! Looking forward to it but I am assigned to car 630 for a trip in August. The Facebook group insists that this car doesn't exist but Amtrak Rewards says not to worry. (I've called three times and have gotten the same answer each time.) Any advice on whether I need to keep calling? Thanks!!

You are absolutely fine!
If 0630 is on your ticket, then 0630 it is...

It's wise to check the App once and a while in case they cancel or change things but so long as your reservation still lists your trip, you're good. (rare but possible routes get canceled due to unscheduled track maintenance).

Regarding seeing a 30 car on Zephyr, it's simply not been the normal last few years but was in the past so we can simply deduce... "it's back" as many of us are now booked on the 30 car for upcoming trips...
Here's a reference to my last 5 Zephyr trips and the cars I was in.
06 31 D Oct 2018 (next to diner / sleepers in front)
06 33 E Sep 2019 (3rd from diner / sleepers in front)
06 32 D Jan 2020 (2rd from diner / sleepers in front)
06 31 A Oct 2020 (next to diner / sleepers in front)
06 30 Early Jul 2021 upcoming

... only mystery is if we'll have a rail window...

I've only seen one person/one post on FB about experiencing this. Makes me wonder.
BTW, last September we were in the 0631 car but don't recall the position...I think we were next to the diner.

I have seen multiple posts in the group Friends of the California Zephyr, including employees who say they've had to deal with angry/disappointed riders.

I have seen multiple posts in the group Friends of the California Zephyr, including employees who say they've had to deal with angry/disappointed riders.
OK...I'm not in that particular group and can't see what's posted there. Makes sense that more than one post would be in that group.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Per a conductor on the CZ:

"My guess is you were booked in the 530 car originally. That car existed during the pandemic contest but is gone now and our reservation system screwed up and didn't fix that when we went back to the current train contest. I'm so sorry this happened. For anyone who is booked on the Zephyr, make sure that if your ticket says 530 or 630 car you immediately call Amtrak reservations to fix it. We should have fixed it automatically but somehow there was a failure in the system far beyond my reach."

Per a conductor on the CZ:

"My guess is you were booked in the 530 car originally. That car existed during the pandemic contest but is gone now and our reservation system screwed up and didn't fix that when we went back to the current train contest. I'm so sorry this happened. For anyone who is booked on the Zephyr, make sure that if your ticket says 530 or 630 car you immediately call Amtrak reservations to fix it. We should have fixed it automatically but somehow there was a failure in the system far beyond my reach."
If that is the case (the car existed at the time of reservation), this mix-up is going to take a while to clear up.

Other than the PDF eticket they email you where can you even see your car/room number these days? It used to be in the app but I don't see it anymore.

It was on my email and I verified when I gave them my reservation number that they also saw car 630. That is the only place I see it printed, too.

Well, Initially the first 2 agents told you that you were fine. Then your third try the Amtrak told you 0630 did not exist. Your first two were probably experienced reps, while your third one was inexperienced. This is about the average you’ll find in all the Amtrak roles you come across, i.e. Rep, SCA, Conductor, etc… mostly good

After seeing your last thread that stating what the Rep had told you it raised enough doubt for me to call Amtrak myself as I absolutely do not want any surprises day of travel.

They’ve been experiencing issues all day with boards, reservations systems.
Call time was 90 min.

I was lucky enough to get a very seasoned long tenure rep that said this:
As of today the “consist” has not been built but I can see the on my screen the Car #’s that are going to be assigned to this consist and the 0630 is indeed part of your consist. Your reservations is fine. In fact 0630 is almost sold out so it is certain to run. Meaning it is possible at the end of a slow season they will cut 0630 but only if there is an equivalent room is available in an adjoining sleeper. Bedroom=Bedroom, Roomette=Roomete. If (and only when) we decide to drop the 0630 we will notify all passengers who have their email or cell correct in their reservation of the change.

Only pissy thing “in the rare case” you are on this last seasonal car being dropped because the train has low ridership “and you are in a roomette”, it is possible you were upstairs and have now been moved downstairs or visa versa on your new car… or as mentioned at the first of the thread you wanted 2 rooms side by side… in this case it might be best to call as they can see all available rooms to try to accommodate. It may also be pissy if you get moved to bedroom "A" (read dedicate thread if needed).

If you’re reservations say you’re in 0630 and you have not received a notice from Amtrak they’ve moved you then you can relax and expect 0630 will be there to great you on your wonderful Zephyr journey.

My apologies if my (in)experience caused you to spend a lot of unnecessary time on hold! I have to admit I've been stressed about getting hit with an unpleasant surprise... Thanks again for your help. Happy and safe travels!

Not at all and my apologies if taken that way. If you are new to riding Amtrak you can and should ask anything that concerns you. My intent was to share #1 I don't like surprises and never believe I'm always right so with the amount of doubt I felt I'd be more comfortable clarifying with a Rep. directly. I was also setting your expectations that you'll probably find 1 in 3 that are not good at their jobs but more that are so there is still positive here.

It was a fluke the wait was long otherwise the call would have been nothing. Plus I was watching a train flix so no matter...
But just as with you... I don't want any "got no car for you" surprises either hence the call.

And in all you can feel a bit safer a routine Zephyr traveler (at least twice a year) has shared his experiences to ease your mind.

that said, do wear some Teflon as there will likely be some surprises along the trip, namely a delay or two, crabby SCA or even Conductor , squeaky room, with hope if you do run into a bump the wonderful scenery will make up for it.

Welcome to AU, this is a great community. Ask any questions you may have
Good morning. I'm also booked on a 630 car, room 15 (Fam BR) in August, Grand Junction to Chicago, with my 3 grandkids. I've been following the Facebook post in the Friends of the CA Zephyr. I worried about being left without a room, as was posed in several posts. I called Amtrack Cust Ser last night, and was told that if my ticket says I am in car 630, I'll be in 630. If there is a change, they will notify me. My biggest worry is that she said there is no other Fam BR on that train, and if we moved to two roomettes, it would cost me almost $500 more (I booked way back on March 5th) and the ticket prices have skyrocketed since then. I'm thinking of calling the Rewards number this morning, but not sure how to pose my question to them.........Any informed comments would be greatly appreciated!

I have a CZ trip in Nov 2021 (Car 0531, RM 6), and in Feb 2022 (0631, RM 5) - and I made both those reservations about 6-8 weeks ago or so (maybe a little longer).

I read a post on Facebook where someone was moved out if the 630/530 to the 40 car. Their reservation was messed up and they would not have found out if they had not checked their reservation.

I thought something like this might happen in the fall. Not the middle school f summer when ridership is increasing.

Has anyone noticed a recent consist of 5/6 and seen if there is a 530 car? Iirc it’s usually the car next to the diner.
I just called Guest Rewards, who CONFIRMED that car 0630 is not on the manifest the day I travel. After being transferred to Cust Relations, I was advised there are No other Family Bedrooms available in cars 631 or 632 my day of travel. They offered me to go a day later in a Fam BR, or take 2 Roomettes on my day of travel. The additional cost of $500 has been waived (I booked back in March at a lower bucket, as I know prices increase as you approach your travel date) and we're all set in two roomettes...WHEW, so glad I checked on the "rumor" about that car being pulled from the manifest........what a bother that would have been with my 3 grandkids in tow at the Station to find out that there were no rooms available...!

I have a CZ trip in Nov 2021 (Car 0531, RM 6), and in Feb 2022 (0631, RM 5) - and I made both those reservations about 6-8 weeks ago or so (maybe a little longer).

Great!

About once a month or so check the prices. They usually go up, but if for some reason they go down you can get an adjustment.

I called and the agent confirmed that there is a 630 car for the July 2 departure of 6. I did not give her my reservation number. She looked for a roomette in that car and stated that it was full. I asked again to confirm there was a 630 car. She said yes.

0630 does appear to be a bit of a mystery. As mentioned answers are different with different Reps. If concerned, out of precaution by all means call and move cars for certainty.

With regard to Reps I think there are 2 screen views. There is a view of cars “targeted” for the consist, and only as the departure date is close do they actually build the consist in which they know for sure what cars they’re running. I have had these more experienced Reps say “let me look at a different screen” where I’ve made this conclusion. And I figure many other Reps are not aware.

Zephyr seems to always runs with 31 and 32 with 2 sleepers.

I can only suspect they have predicted an influx of riders and added 30 as a 3rd sleeper but depending on the screen the Rep might not see this. While many of us have experienced being moved at the last minute (sure being moved from E to A sux), or cancelations due to unscheduled track maintenance but I’ve not seen a single post where an actual person on 30 and was told they’re no longer riding on that da as we have no room for you because we booked you on a non existent train. Also note that 30 is being booked for many days in Jul and Aug.

I suppose the mystery will not be solved until a actual effected fellow passenger responds they were booked on 30 and had their travel canceled by Amtrak or responds with a confirmation they are sitting in their room on 30 and had left the station. If not done my next weekend, I’ll update the post a picture of 30. Or not :-0

Zephyr seems to always runs with 31 and 32 with 2 sleepers.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, 31 and 32 are the regular sleepers. 30 used to be the Denver drop car which stopped being dropped and just became the Summer season car. In the Summer the CZ ran with Sleepers in the rear and the car order was Diner - 31 - 32 - 30. This was true until at least 2018. I have no idea what has happened since then.

Back