Runt consists

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulM

Engineer
Does anyone know if Amtrak will bring back the reduced consists this winter, specifically the Capitol Limited?

I would like to go from the Midwest to Florida approximately Feb 1. But last year on the way back from Florida on the CL I was separated from the one engine by only 2 bedrooms. It made for a very unpleasant trip, one I won't do again.

I would think with all the new Bags now rolling, you should be fine. And to further assure you are away from the engines, make sure your Room is not in the Trans Dorm.

Also select the xx00 car and not the xx01, The 01 car is between the transition sleeper and the 00 sleeper car. The 00 sleeper is next to the dining car and farther from the engine.

I also was on a Capitol Limited last winter with nothing between the engine and the sleeper. It wasn't very pleasant at all. Definitely glad I travel with ear plugs.

Also select the xx00 car and not the xx01, The 01 car is between the transition sleeper and the 00 sleeper car. The 00 sleeper is next to the dining car and farther from the engine.
What is the system for determining the last two digits of the car number? For example, I've booked a trip in sleeper cars XX32 on the CZ, XX30 on the CS and XX31 on the SWC. Is there way of knowing where they are located in their consists?

What is the system for determining the last two digits of the car number? For example, I've booked a trip in sleeper cars XX32 on the CZ, XX30 on the CS and XX31 on the SWC. Is there way of knowing where they are located in their consists?
I believe the lowest number is closest to the diner.

Of the trains I travel on, the lowest number sleeper is next to the dining car and then the next number car has one car(the lowest number) between it and the diner. This is true whether the sleeping cars are in front or at the end. For the Capitol Limited cars 2900 westbound and 3000 eastbound are the cars adjacent to the dining car. On the California Zephyr this is 0531 or 0631 depending on direction of travel. Other trains are assembled accordingly.

The lowest car number for all Sleepers will be nearest the Diner, though the Transition Dorm may have a different car number from the sleepers. Usually, the first 2 digits are the train number (Cap = 29 or 30, TE = 21 or 22). The sleepers may then be numbered 30, 31, 32, or 20, 21, 22 depending on the train. It seems there isn't a consistency across Amtrak. Also, some car attendants may not have changed the car number from the previous consist, either due to a lack of time (late departure) or the SCA doesn't care.

And just to clarify, the SCA would be changing (or not) the first two dugits (train number) and not the second two digits (car number).

They really ought to do it every trip. As a rail fan I know the consist and order of cars. My gf is sometimes aware of the car number and is befuddled when I board a car with a different line number such as 631 on the Texas eagle. Since she is with me she's ok. Traveling by herself she might walk the wrong way if crew members are lax which is often the case on the Texas eagle.

In the FAQ section, there is a thread of line numbers & consists, where you can find this information. (I'm sorry but I can't link right now.)

They really ought to do it every trip. As a rail fan I know the consist and order of cars. My gf is sometimes aware of the car number and is befuddled when I board a car with a different line number such as 631 on the Texas eagle. Since she is with me she's ok. Traveling by herself she might walk the wrong way if crew members are lax which is often the case on the Texas eagle.
I've been known to tell the TA/SCA or conductor that the number is wrong. Even when I'm not boarding the train (at my home station waiting for a commuter train).

Does anyone know if Amtrak will bring back the reduced consists this winter, specifically the Capitol Limited?

I would like to go from the Midwest to Florida approximately Feb 1. But last year on the way back from Florida on the CL I was separated from the one engine by only 2 bedrooms. It made for a very unpleasant trip, one I won't do again.
You can count on it. Indeed, there was a discussion about it today. I don't know the specifics yet.

I've been known to tell the TA/SCA or conductor that the number is wrong. Even when I'm not boarding the train (at my home station waiting for a commuter train).

As previously discussed on this board, the vast majority of them don't even work anymore. This is particularly true with the "rolling displays."

On the City of New Orleans I have found the sleeper to be number 0631 which is a Zephyr number. Since there is only one sleeper on the CONO it's not a problem and most often the SCA does not change the number even though they know better.

The "runt" consist will definitely be in place when you intend to travel. They've already started changing the Crescent.

Last edited by a moderator:

The "runt" consist will definitely be in place when you intend to travel. They've already started changing the Crescent.
Looks like the Star has gone on a coach diet beginning with 92 today, just three coaches.

Back