Sacramento, CA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depending on how I plan my trip I will have a day in Sacramento without a car. I see there are some museums and the like near the station- for those who have visited, where would you recommend staying and what should I go see?

I would likely arrive on either 713 or 715 and would depart on the CZ the next day. Depending on how hectic driving in Sacramento is taking the train sounds much better. :)

Edit: I actually wouldn't have that much time (CZ leaves at 11 AM) so anything I do needs to be close.

If you don't mind taking a cab or calling Uber:

Sacramento Historic Cruise boat, leaving from 1206 Front St. 4 min from the Amtrak station.

Tour of the Ca;ital building, at 10th & L St. 7 min from the Amtrak Station.

The Firehouse Restaurant, practically a Sacramento institution. 1112 2nd St., 3 min from the Amtrak station.

https://is.gd/EF6fDE
And, by all means. the Calif State Railroad Museum.

In my short stay in Sacramento a couple of years ago, I went a-wander checking out the streetscapes and found myself at your Capitol where I took a tour as I'm interested in that sort of thing. I also checked out the Rail Museum, a great place, as well as a bit if the Old Town nearby. I was staying at the Holiday Inn, coming off Train#14 and awaiting my departure from there on Train#6. I walked everywhere quite happily.

I know I'm a lot late to this, but for completeness, I spent a whole day in Sacramento County where I parked my car near one of the RT light rail stops and mostly got around using a $7 RT day pass, valid until 1 AM the next morning. Mine looked a little bit different though, but I suppose they changed things up a little bit in 5 years. There's a little metallic look where they have the RT logo twice, and mine doesn't have that black band in the middle. And some of the printing is arranged differently, but it looks like it was printed on the same equipment.

sacrtbasicdailypass.png

I would say that most of the rolling equipment is really old (as old as 1985), but it works. I spoke to a few RT employees, and they said that they've been cannibalizing trains for parts, but they keep it running well. And they can't wait to get the new equipment ordered, which will be assembled right there in Sacramento County. Their original equipment is all high floor with rather steep stairs. Every stop has a high platform and the operator has to go out and manually set up the ramp if anyone needs it for any kind of mobility device. They're looking forward to the low platform cars from Siemens, although it's going to be a completely different look. Not sure if this will be the actual design they use, as Siemens seems to be able to customize the shape, like they did with San Francisco MUNI's LRV4 (Siemens S200).

https://www.sacrt.com/apps/sacrt-purchases-new-low-floor-light-rail-vehicles/
Siemens-S700-Light-Rail-Vehicle-1024x683.jpg

I would say that most of the rolling equipment is really old (as old as 1985), but it works. I spoke to a few RT employees, and they said that they've been cannibalizing trains for parts, but they keep it running well. And they can't wait to get the new equipment ordered, which will be assembled right there in Sacramento County. Their original equipment is all high floor with rather steep stairs. Every stop has a high platform and the operator has to go out and manually set up the ramp if anyone needs it for any kind of mobility device. They're looking forward to the low platform cars from Siemens, although it's going to be a completely different look. Not sure if this will be the actual design they use, as Siemens seems to be able to customize the shape, like they did with San Francisco MUNI's LRV4 (Siemens S200).
the old U2 seem to just keep on going, not much can go wrong. I know SD gave most of theirs to a new tram line in South America.
S700 likely with the most minor changes, Siemens gives 3 length options and if you want cabs on both or 1 end, snow plow, what voltage and thats about it. They crank them out like crazy because of how standard they are

I quite like walking around old town and visiting the train museum when I'm in Sac

the old U2 seem to just keep on going, not much can go wrong. I know SD gave most of theirs to a new tram line in South America.
S700 likely with the most minor changes, Siemens gives 3 length options and if you want cabs on both or 1 end, snow plow, what voltage and thats about it. They crank them out like crazy because of how standard they are

I quite like walking around old town and visiting the train museum when I'm in Sac

They still look modern from the outside. They could make them look almost new (again from the outside) with a paint job and new electronic displays. I'm also not sure when they installed internal displays as they look more like a retrofit. But even new equipment needs parts, and several employees said that they simply aren't made any more. It also got a little bit annoying because of weird noise coming from below the floor. I'm not sure if it was because of the design or just age, but all the cars made the same noise.

My main complaint would be that a lot of the station display signs were malfunctioning. They had other signage suggesting checking their website/app if the station signs weren't working.

I'm curious as to what the final design will be like.

They still look modern from the outside. They could make them look almost new (again from the outside) with a paint job and new electronic displays. I'm also not sure when they installed internal displays as they look more like a retrofit. But even new equipment needs parts, and several employees said that they simply aren't made any more. It also got a little bit annoying because of weird noise coming from below the floor. I'm not sure if it was because of the design or just age, but all the cars made the same noise.
I wonder if they'll get sent off to the same line as SD did, given them more spare parts and more units they could put into service.
My main complaint would be that a lot of the station display signs were malfunctioning. They had other signage suggesting checking their website/app if the station signs weren't working.

I'm curious as to what the final design will be like.
Stations are going to get major work to be low floor, I'd hope they replace them at that time
Its an S700 Siemens gives you 3 length options, snowplow Y/N, cab on 1 or both ends, what voltage and thats about it

I wonder if they'll get sent off to the same line as SD did, given them more spare parts and more units they could put into service.

Stations are going to get major work to be low floor, I'd hope they replace them at that time
Its an S700 Siemens gives you 3 length options, snowplow Y/N, cab on 1 or both ends, what voltage and thats about it

I don't think the stations need any real work to service a low floor vehicle. It's just boarding up a set of stairs right now unless one uses the disabled platform. They're still essentially streetcars.

I don't think the stations need any real work to service a low floor vehicle. It's just boarding up a set of stairs right now unless one uses the disabled platform. They're still essentially streetcars.
It's because your first post was a bit confusing. You said every station has a high platform, but you didn't say it was a mini-platform. And then you said the operators were looking forward to low platforms, instead of low floors. On my first read, I also thought you were saying that the current cars were high-floor with level boarding.

It's because your first post was a bit confusing. You said every station has a high platform, but you didn't say it was a mini-platform. And then you said the operators were looking forward to low platforms, instead of low floors. On my first read, I also thought you were saying that the current cars were high-floor with level boarding.

That was a response premised on knowing that I was responding to someone who has used Sacramento RT light rail. I don't think there was any confusion per se about the station layouts. They have that single high platform that's only used in the lead car - primarily for mobility reasons. I still see that in San Francisco on the MUNI F line, which uses classic street cars that can't really be fitted with wheelchair lifts.

But yeah the boarding is already at street level. That's what I was getting at.

021320_kidtransit_AW_sized_02.jpg

they are planning on putting 8in platforms at all stations and removing all the high platforms

they are planning on putting 8in platforms at all stations and removing all the high platforms

As far as I can tell, the CAF S/200 cars will still be in service, and those aren't low floor. It's going to be a mess, and even if they only redid some stations (keeping the platforms for the older equipment), there will be overlap.

Not sure how it's going to work if they still need the platforms for the CAF equipment. Someone in a wheelchair/scooter/walker might be at the platform and the new low-floor car stops there and they have to go down and board at street level using the car's lift. Unless maybe they're dedicated to specific routes and the passenger has to know which one.

As far as I can tell, the CAF S/200 cars will still be in service, and those aren't low floor. It's going to be a mess, and even if they only redid some stations (keeping the platforms for the older equipment), there will be overlap.

Not sure how it's going to work if they still need the platforms for the CAF equipment. Someone in a wheelchair/scooter/walker might be at the platform and the new low-floor car stops there and they have to go down and board at street level using the car's lift. Unless maybe they're dedicated to specific routes and the passenger has to know which one.
line by line they will be replaced, Gold then blue. Green line was already built for low floor cars

Memphis’ transit agency MATA just purchased 7 ex San Diego U2 cars to introduce into service as they reopen their Madison Ave line! They tested them out over the past few months. 6 of the cars are being refurbished somewhere in Louisiana right now and will go into service next year at some point.

Attachments

• 446B6EB7-C4C1-44ED-BDE4-496E2B3FF62C.jpeg
    446B6EB7-C4C1-44ED-BDE4-496E2B3FF62C.jpeg
    34.6 KB · Views: 0
I didn't see anything clear on the ones that share.

I wouldn't see much of a problem for anyone who can walk up the stairs since most board at street level anyways. The only issue I'd imagine is where would someone in a wheelchair or scooter wait in anticipation of boarding. Someone could ride just within the overlapping stations and might wait at the platform when the first train arriving is a low floor. I suppose there's no way for them to retrofit the CAF equipment to make them low-floor, is there? Or at the very least some sort of lift at the lead door. I first saw that on high-floor buses in the 80s.

I wouldn't see much of a problem for anyone who can walk up the stairs since most board at street level anyways. The only issue I'd imagine is where would someone in a wheelchair or scooter wait in anticipation of boarding. Someone could ride just within the overlapping stations and might wait at the platform when the first train arriving is a low floor. I suppose there's no way for them to retrofit the CAF equipment to make them low-floor, is there? Or at the very least some sort of lift at the lead door. I first saw that on high-floor buses in the 80s.
spending money on the 20 year old caf equipment just doesn't make much sense when you can get a whole low floor fleet for cheap.

spending money on the 20 year old caf equipment just doesn't make much sense when you can get a whole low floor fleet for cheap.

As far as I can tell, the only order they have with Siemens is to replace the old U2A cars, and they still intend on running the CAF cars as long as they can. The new cars supposedly cost $5 million each, although it's probably all inclusive including maintenance/parts for whatever period. I'm thinking a wheelchair lift will probably cost a lot less than even a new LRV.

The first time I ever saw one in action was maybe 1983 on a Gillig Phantom, which is a traditional high floor bus with stairs that tucked in when the platform was extended. I just mentioned something about it to the bus driver, and he was eager to show me how it worked. Took about 30 seconds, but I think his bus was ahead of schedule.

I know this is subjective but I'll ask anyway.

Is going out of the way to visit Sacramento worth it?

Trip being planned is arriving by train from southern California into Emeryville, then connecting with the Zephyr, a simple overnight connection.

Have never visited Sacramento but can at the moment can fit a complete day into the plan by making SAC the destination from the south and catching the Zephyr from there a day later than from EMY.

The rail museum is an obvious visit, also the State Capitol too although from photos it looks less specific than some. What about the rest of the town, does it have character or interest?

Is it worth the extra time and expense to take a full day exploring?

Thank you

As a retired overseas visitor, with mostly no need to be elsewhere, I had several stays in Sacramento. Mostly to break the westward Zephyr journey en route towards Las Vegas. Interesting place, but not a "must see" destination. It is subjective, but where are you going afterwards, do you have plenty of spare time, or are you working, are your time off days valuable?
Is getting to Sacramento easy enough by train from your home, I seem to recall some bus legs from Southern California if a same day trip?
My feeling is that if we are not drawn to a destination by our own knowledge or our perceived dreams and expectations, then it may not be worth a detour? Having said that, the journey can be as much fun as the destination. :D :cool:

I know this is subjective but I'll ask anyway.

Is going out of the way to visit Sacramento worth it?

Trip being planned is arriving by train from southern California into Emeryville, then connecting with the Zephyr, a simple overnight connection.

Have never visited Sacramento but can at the moment can fit a complete day into the plan by making SAC the destination from the south and catching the Zephyr from there a day later than from EMY.

The rail museum is an obvious visit, also the State Capitol too although from photos it looks less specific than some. What about the rest of the town, does it have character or interest?

Is it worth the extra time and expense to take a full day exploring?

Thank you

The only place I would want to go in Sacramento is to see the Sacramento State Jazz Singers perform on campus. Their Youtube videos are pretty good.

Back