Safest Airlines Rated ✈

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Air Transat is now a wholly-owned subsidiary of Air Canada ...
I hate to say, "I told you so," but you counted that egg before it became a chicken.

https://www.flightglobal.com/strategy/transat-air-canada-deal-in-limbo/142446.article
I have a family trip to Europe this June booked on Air Transat. It is looking all but certain that we are going to cancel, which means that my family will have a roughly $3,000 USD credit. Needless to say, I am quite nervous about the long term viability of that credit.

Last edited:
I hate to say, "I told you so," but those eggs were counted before they became chickens.

https://www.flightglobal.com/strategy/transat-air-canada-deal-in-limbo/142446.article
I have a family trip to Europe this June booked on Air Transat. It is looking all but certain that we are going to cancel, which means that my family will have a $2,800 USD credit. Needless to say, I am quite nervous about the long term viability of that credit.
I saw that too, but all the headlines here earlier this week made it sound like a "done deal". The only thing AC wants out of this is Transat's planes. The 767's and A-319's were retired in anticipation of the deal closing. The feds won't let a foreign carrier step into the void if AC backs out, so it's anyone's guess how this turns out.

See also:
https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/air-canada-transat-deal-on-thin-ice-as-deadline-lapses-1.1564135

I saw that too, but all the headlines here earlier this week made it sound like a "done deal". The only thing AC wants out of this is Transat's planes.

If I was Air Transat I would be on the telephone with Westjet right now. Westjet nabbing those planes could put the squeeze on Air Canada. However, I have no idea if Westjet can come up with any money. And Westjet has always had problems breaking into the Quebec market, which might make them think twice.

Last edited:
Transat has very little domestic service, however what you suggest would give WestJet much-needed slots in places they need them (e.g. Montreal Trudeau/Dorval and Quebec City). WestJet to-date has also been an all-Boeing carrier (not counting regional services) and Transat 99% Airbus, so not sure how they'd feel about maintenance, etc. They're not exactly in the best of shape either. The government is still withholding bailout cash pending passenger refunds from both AC and WS, so this could get more interesting before anything is resolved.

It is settled then. Next time I go to India, hopefully within the next 12 or 14 months, it will be Qatar or Emirates. Maybe I will splurge on a First Class Suite for a once in a lifetime experience. :)
Probably been said before, but do your best to get the Q-Suite from Qatar! One of the best, if not the best, business class in the skies!

If you go Emirates, well, you can't truly go wrong with either, but I'd avoid Emirates business. I believe its a 2-3-2 configuration..

Probably been said before, but do your best to get the Q-Suite from Qatar! One of the best, if not the best, business class in the skies! If you go Emirates, well, you can't truly go wrong with either, but I'd avoid Emirates business. I believe its a 2-3-2 configuration..
JL's Sky Suite (Apex) is 2-3-2 on the 773 and spacious enough that I can sleep across the Pacific. Hard to expect more than that on scheduled service in the ULC era. I'm personally disinclined to book on the ME3 but if I were so disposed I'd be fine in Business on EK and it's difficult to know what service standards will look like in the future anyway.

I just booked a family trip to Japan for next February (don't laugh... I'm a planner!) I am very impressed with JAL's economy product on their 787. JAL is the only airline that I know of that has 8 seats across on the 787, rather than the 9 that other airlines have. The seats are 19 inches wide and the seat pitch is 33 inches. We are paying $640 each for non-stop flights Boston - Tokyo. I wanted to take advantage of the attractive fare before pent up travel demand starts driving up prices. We are allowed to make unlimited changes until September. After September we are allowed to make one change.

As far as booking a trip this far out, there are a couple of reasons:
1) We have cancelled a couple of trips due to Covid, and may have to cancel our summer trip, so I wanted some light at the end of the tunnel.
2) I genuinely take as much pleasure from planning as I do from traveling.

Probably been said before, but do your best to get the Q-Suite from Qatar! One of the best, if not the best, business class in the skies!

If you go Emirates, well, you can't truly go wrong with either, but I'd avoid Emirates business. I believe its a 2-3-2 configuration..
My original message was posted at a time when there was an Emirates non stop from Orlando to Dubai. It is not there any more, so the attraction of taking Emirates has evaporated. Same for Qatar. So for now ME3 is pretty much not in the running. I always seem to land upto with hugely long stopovers in the ME with any of the ME3 which I would like to avoid if I can. Yeah nice airports, but none are as nice as home IMHO.

Marriott is currently promoting a deal with EK - three points for every dollar spent on airfare, in addition to airline mileage accumulation. That's a little better than "double-dipping" if one has a need to travel with that combination.

My original message was posted at a time when there was an Emirates non stop from Orlando to Dubai. It is not there any more, so the attraction of taking Emirates has evaporated. Same for Qatar. So for now ME3 is pretty much not in the running. I always seem to land upto with hugely long stopovers in the ME with any of the ME3 which I would like to avoid if I can. Yeah nice airports, but none are as nice as home IMHO.
Oof, that's tough

Marriott is currently promoting a deal with EK - three points for every dollar spent on airfare, in addition to airline mileage accumulation. That's a little better than "double-dipping" if one has a need to travel with that combination.

I received that e-mail from Marriott as well and thought that it was a good deal if one was going to fly on EK.

Back