Quantcast

Safety and environmental issues with Amtrak's Flex Dining concept

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Bob Dylan

Conductor
I'll be okay with whatever they serve because I'm not that concerned with what I eat at home, a lot of takeout that I eat, because either they don't post their ingredients, or because I don't believe them. I don't have Covid-19. And Jesus, for those of you who believe, doesn't have it either.

Sorry if this offends many of you, but I believe I'll die when my time comes and not before. I don't think Amtrak's menu is substantially worse than what I'm eating now. But you woke, please feel free to tell me I'm bound for Hell because you know better than me and everyone else.

I think, in spite of my love for rail travel, that I don't belong here and I will cancel my membership to avoid angering anyone further. I just can't take anymore woke BS.

Goodbye and God bless (for those of you this doesn't offend, for those of you it does please, delete). Thank you and goodbye.

Love,
Chey
Dont quit, Forums are for different points of view, dont take internet posts personally!!

We all share a Love of Train Travel! I see this on other Rail Forums too, and I dont agree with most of what's posted but:"Everyone has their own tastes said the Old Maid as she kissed the Cow!"

Thirdrail7

Conductor
AU Supporter
Why can't Amtrak just eliminate the sleeper service flex meals and go to an expanded cafe car service that would include more healthy options; and in doing so, bring down the cost of those sleeping accommodations? It would allow the passenger greater choice to order the amount and quality of food desired. The could also choose to bring along their own items to eat.
Umm...like they did with the aforementioned Silver Star, which was nicknamed the Silver Starvation? Here is the thread that related to that experiment;

Silver Star has new Café menu and no diner

This "test" lasted until earlier this year. I firmly believe other trains would have followed sit of not for the passengers lobbying Amtrak and their representatives to take action. After numerous complaints about this, they returned to the diner-lite concept on a few more train before introducing Contemporary Dining.

At any rate, complaints kept this concept from taking off even though it was headed for a few more trains.

20th Century Rider

OBS Chief
Umm...like they did with the aforementioned Silver Star, which was nicknamed the Silver Starvation? Here is the thread that related to that experiment;

Silver Star has new Café menu and no diner

This "test" lasted until earlier this year. I firmly believe other trains would have followed sit of not for the passengers lobbying Amtrak and their representatives to take action. After numerous complaints about this, they returned to the diner-lite concept on a few more train before introducing Contemporary Dining.

At any rate, complaints kept this concept from taking off even though it was headed for a few more trains.
if I can remember through my aging mind, there was little difference in the fare between meal on this train and meals included on the other. That's why it didn't gain traction... and where are we now??? So flex meals vs non vs the full dining service. Now we are we now hmmm... where??? Pay more for 'full dining service' and get flex meals??? Huh?

20th Century Rider

OBS Chief
Bet they were't "biodegradable" back then. The ones today "biodegrade" in my mouth after a few sips!
We were ahead of where we are now 'back in the day' when biodegradable was realized as important but greed and the quest for wealth has replaced more environmentally sound practices with cheep cheep that is bad for the earth but good for the wallet of those wanting to do anything at any expense to put money in that back pocket. Because plastics are cheeeeeper than recyclable chinaware, that's what Amtrak uses to cut costs. Oh my...

me_little_me

Conductor
Why can't Amtrak just eliminate the sleeper service flex meals and go to an expanded cafe car service that would include more healthy options; and in doing so, bring down the cost of those sleeping accommodations? It would allow the passenger greater choice to order the amount and quality of food desired. The could also choose to bring along their own items to eat.
How much cheaper than the Meteor was the Star? Would that even exist if the passengers had no choice of traditional dining vs garbage and both had the same lower cost but "healthy and tasty" food? Would prices go down? NAH! They never go down.
And the way Amtrak runs cafes with so many items that run out or that don't get stocked, what would happen to sleeper passengers who tend to ride long distances if the "better" food was all scarped up by coach passengers? With food reserved for sleepers first (traditional) or only (garbage), there is more of an obligation since meals are promised and separate.
Amtrak has never even solved their basic cafe ood problems on LD trains such as running out or not loading items - both of which mean money left on the table - about as stupid as can be imagined when you are losing money.

Then of course, you might lose more of the sleeper passengers (and their subsidy to coach) and have even more of those passengers who don't want to fight the lines for food only to find out that what they want is sold out.

Given their history of (not) loading food, even for sleepers, I can't imagine how well they are going to be able to handle when they don't load the specific meal you pre-ordered 4 months earlier when you made your sleeper reservation.

bms

Service Attendant

I believe the Silver Star went straight from traditional dining to nothing, which is a major downgrade. This time around, they've been smart enough to downgrade the food to a point where few people will miss it when it's removed.

Devil's Advocate

Conductor
I don't have Covid-19. And Jesus, for those of you who believe, doesn't have it either. Sorry if this offends many of you, but I believe I'll die when my time comes and not before. I don't think Amtrak's menu is substantially worse than what I'm eating now. But you woke, please feel free to tell me I'm bound for Hell because you know better than me and everyone else.

I'll be okay with whatever they serve because I'm not that concerned with what I eat at home, a lot of takeout that I eat, because either they don't post their ingredients, or because I don't believe them. I don't have Covid-19. And Jesus, for those of you who believe, doesn't have it either.

Sorry if this offends many of you, but I believe I'll die when my time comes and not before. I don't think Amtrak's menu is substantially worse than what I'm eating now. But you woke, please feel free to tell me I'm bound for Hell because you know better than me and everyone else.

I think, in spite of my love for rail travel, that I don't belong here and I will cancel my membership to avoid angering anyone further. I just can't take anymore woke BS.

Goodbye and God bless (for those of you this doesn't offend, for those of you it does please, delete). Thank you and goodbye.

Love,
Chey
Chey,

I agree with our Bob Dylan above—please don’t leave🙁. Just like everyone else on AU, you do belong here😊. We all have different views, and we do tend to get a bit intense about food especially for some reason. But we all have a love of trains, which brings us together. Having been to a couple of Gatherings, I can say firsthand that AU has some of the nicest people anyone could meet.

I have enjoyed your posts and hope you stay.

Sometimes I need a break and disappear for a while or just stick to the nontrain/nonfood threads (like the one with the gorgeous pictures of ferries), then come back when I’m ready.

Msybe consider doing something like that instead of leaving completely? I hope you will and that we will hear from you again.😊

—Patty