Same Day Ticket required for lounge access with AGR SE card?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billvasili

Train Attendant
l received my new Guest rewards Select Executive card. l noticed that Lounge access is for days l am traveling only as it says “Same day ticket is required” Before it said access to the lounge at anytime. Did they find too many people using it on off days of no travel?

l received my new Guest rewards Select Executive card. l noticed that Lounge access is for days l am traveling only as it says “Same day ticket is required” Before it said access to the lounge at anytime. Did they find too many people using it on off days of no travel?
I believe that has been in the fine print for a while now. I've seen it on my Select Plus card lately and I believe it is the case with the "complimentary" lounge passes as well.

This had been in effect for some time now. Sometimes they ask for a ticket, sometimes they look up your reservation, but last week, at the Metropolitan Club at Moynihan, the gatekeeper just let me in on the basis of my showing my Select Plus car and a photo of my vaccination certificate, and didn't check as to whether I had a ticket. I'm glad they waited until very recently to do this. For about the 6 months before I retired, they changed the MARC schedules so I had to take a much earlier train, and I enjoyed sitting in the Club Acela in DC for about a half hour reading the paper and drinking coffee before it was time for me to go to work. I guess I couldn't do that now.

Thant was back in 2018. Either the policy was different back then or they weren't enforcing the current policy. I didn't start notice lounge attendants really checking tickets or reservations at the lounge Washington until a trip I took in June 2020.
Indeed, the earlier policy was that Select+ and Executives did not need any ticket to use the Lounges. Back then I had used the NY Club Acela numerous time while waiting for an NJT train or to just hang out for a while without any intention to travel anywhere. But the rules changed before the new Metropolitan lounge opened in NYP. Of course, just because there is a rule does not necessarily mean it will be followed either, as we all know.

Last edited:
Indeed, the earlier policy was that Select+ and Executives did not need any ticket to use the Lounges. Back then I had used the NY Club Acela numerous time while waiting for an NJT train or to just hang out for a while without any intention to travel anywhere. But the rules changed before the new Metropolitan lounge opened in NYP. Of course, just because there is a rule does not necessarily mean it will be followed either, as we all know.
I have been Select Executive for many years, and although I have never lived near the NEC, I have used the lounges quite often in the past when I did not have a same day ticket (either meeting my sister arriving on MARC, meeting up with AU/OTOL friends, just hanging out, or using a clean restroom). I am not sure when the last time I was able to use a lounge without showing a ticket, but I think I recall doing so during the NYC Gathering in 2018.

Back