San Antonio Wye

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amtrak's track-a-train map has always shown incorrect/impossible moves.

This lazy but kinda sorta functional image might help visualize the Texas Eagle turning process.

View attachment 20970

Moving counterclockwise from the top left: The blue arrows facing down/South are #21's chilled molasses creep into SAS via the former Missouri Pacific route. The red arrows are a backup move at the start of #22's run on former Southern Pacific track. The blue arrows facing up/North are #22's forward move toward SMC over the former Missouri–Kansas–Texas route. Or at least this is how things worked the last time I paid attention.
That has been my experience several times on the TE

The local governments in San Antonio have repeatedly voted down funding for any passenger rail improvements of any sort, so don't expect anything to improve until that changes.

Too bad there's not enough room to connect the two routes that overpass shown in the NE corner of the squarish portion of the maps in Posts #9 and 14. At least I don't think there's enough room.

[edit] Wait! Lookee here:
SAS Overpass Connection.png
This from a 1950-vintage map courtesy the USGS. Looks like the area SE of that overpass is too built up to allow a connection there. Vestiges of the one that's torn up can be seen on Google Earth if you squint real hard.

Last edited:
I'm glad people are taking an interest but what specific problem are we trying to solve here? In my view the main issues with SAS include the poor calling times, undesirable station facilities, extended schedule delays, and slow speeds. All of these issues can be addressed without the effort and expense of adding more connections.

Last edited:
. . .what specific problem are we trying to solve here?
Wouldn't re-establishment of that torn up connection shown in Post #28 allow both the North and South bound TE's to make it through SAS without any backing or wyeing?

And wouldn't creation of a similar connection on the opposite (SE) side of that overpass do the same for the SL?

Seems to me correction of poor calling times, undesirable station facilities, extended schedule delays and slow speeds are just as much pie-in-the-sky goals as those connections.

Wouldn't re-establishment of that torn up connection shown in Post #28 allow both the North and South bound TE's to make it through SAS without any backing or wyeing? And wouldn't creation of a similar connection on the opposite (SE) side of that overpass do the same for the SL?
What sort of issue does backing up cause Eagle passengers and why would the Sunset need to wye at SAS?

Seems to me correction of poor calling times, undesirable station facilities, extended schedule delays and slow speeds are just as much pie-in-the-sky goals as those connections.
If every goal is equally unlikely then I'd rather push for better calling times or daily service over a new rail connection that most customers would never notice.

If every goal is equally unlikely then I'd rather push for better calling times or daily service over a new rail connection that most customers would never notice.
I agree. Although I don't know how I would feel with being stuck at the same station for two hours (or more) while being switched. I'd much rather be asleep, and I'm sure many other passengers would be confused on what's happening. I wouldn't mind it if it was just a bit earlier, maybe 10-11 PM?

Too bad there's not enough room to connect the two routes that overpass shown in the NE corner of the squarish portion of the maps in Posts #9 and 14. At least I don't think there's enough room.

[edit] Wait! Lookee here:
View attachment 21035
This from a 1950-vintage map courtesy the USGS. Looks like the area SE of that overpass is too built up to allow a connection there. Vestiges of the one that's torn up can be seen on Google Earth if you squint real hard.
Looking at the Google Map I linked to - that torn up connection appears to be still able to reconnect or at least the ROW has not
been built over although there are residential domain just north and west of that.

??? Why the need for a WYE when there is a loop around that Freight Yard - the freight yard operator (UP) being co-operative ?

OR just maybe the B-I-G --- P-I-C-T-U-R-E is way too B-I-G to comprehend - sort of like when MSP had the 3 Depots.

Looking at the Google Map I linked to - that torn up connection appears to be still able to reconnect or at least the ROW has not
been built over although there are residential domain just north and west of that.

??? Why the need for a WYE when there is a loop around that Freight Yard - the freight yard operator (UP) being co-operative ?

OR just maybe the B-I-G --- P-I-C-T-U-R-E is way too B-I-G to comprehend - sort of like when MSP had the 3 Depots.
Union Pacific is never cooperative. They demanded 700 million when Amtrak wanted the Texas Eagle to go daily between SAS and LAX, I doubt they want Amtrak using up any of their tracks

Back