San Joaquin draft business plan for FY 2018-19

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the plan is to stuff the single-levels on the San Joaquin route...

... I await the ADA lawsuits.  Should be interestking. 

The high speed route is completely separate. There's been no decision to use that route for the San Joaquins when it – if – it's completed to a useful degree.

I work in the industry in Norcal. Changes are coming to the San Joaquins around April. The Joint Powers board is planning to eliminate the Sacramento Morning Express train; it did not meet their ridership expectations since inauguration about a year ago. The schedule is being changed back to the one that existed pre May 2018 without the morning express. 

In regards to the new Siemans cars, once the San Joaquins take delivery of the cars, the Capitol Corridor Joint Powers board intends to take the bi level equipment for use on their trains. The CCJPA want nothing to do with single level equipment and currently have no concrete plans for any new bilevel equipment; thus the newly freed up equipment from the San Joaquins will supplement the CC

If the plan is to stuff the single-levels on the San Joaquin route...

... I await the ADA lawsuits.  Should be interestking. 
Why? The new Siemans cars are supposed too be ADA compliant.
The platforms aren't.  :-(

There ends up being a legal case to force them to rebuild all the statoins on the route with high platforms.  It would probably drag on in the courts until HSR starts operating, though, which would make it moot.

Last edited by a moderator:
The platforms aren't.  :-(

There ends up being a legal case to force them to rebuild all the statoins on the route with high platforms.  It would probably drag on in the courts until HSR starts operating, though, which would make it moot.
Whats your evidence for this??? Where in ADA does it say they have to tear up the platforms and redo them?? Nothing I'm reading on here: https://www.access-board.gov/guidelines-and-standards/transportation/vehicles/technical-assistance-manuals-on-adaag-for-transportation-vehicles/subpart-e-commuter-rail-cars-and-systems

says they have to tear up the platform and redo them. 

This requirement applies only where it is "structurally and operationally feasible" to provide level boarding. The feasibility of level boarding depends primarily on the boarding platforms of the system. It is recognized that level boarding is most feasible in new systems where station platforms can be built so as to be level with the floor height of cars.

Back