Santa Barbara - Las Vegas Thruway Bus

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NativeSon5859

Conductor
I'm kind of tempted to take this because it covers some terrain that I've never seen... namely, CA-58 from Bakersfield to Barstow and CA-26 from Ventura to Castaic Junction.
You can't cross Tehachapi Pass by Amtrak train but you can by Amtrak bus. Heh.

Has anyone been on this thruway route? I was surprised to see that you don't need a train ticket in conjunction with this, you can buy the bus ticket on its own. Perhaps this is the way of the future...

California recently passed a law that allows Amtrak (which is really the state itself) to sell bus only tickets as long as they’re not competing with another operator over the same route.

Never taken the bus, but I’ve driven my personal car on the 58 and 126. Both are beautiful drives. 58 is a high desert pass with lots of “painted” rocks and 126 is a lot of Citrus groves and other farm fields in a very green valley.

California recently passed a law that allows Amtrak (which is really the state itself) to sell bus only tickets as long as they’re not competing with another operator over the same route.

Never taken the bus, but I’ve driven my personal car on the 58 and 126. Both are beautiful drives. 58 is a high desert pass with lots of “painted” rocks and 126 is a lot of Citrus groves and other farm fields in a very green valley.

Interesting! Appreciate the response.

Since carrier's like Greyhound and Orange Belt are abandoning routes and services, I can't see any thing wrong with Amtrak California expanding into the bus business.....

Since carrier's like Greyhound and Orange Belt are abandoning routes and services, I can't see any thing wrong with Amtrak California expanding into the bus business.....

From the few times I’ve ridden the San Francisco bus, they are nicer than Greyhound, as well.

Back