SAS to KCY via Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chertling

Lead Service Attendant
Is there any reason why Amtrak.com won't allow me to book a trip from SAS-CHI-KCY with a same day connection from the TE to SWC? Is the TE's on time performance that bad that they can't guarantee a connection that involves a nearly hour and a half layover in Chicago?

I am looking at booking a trip in November and would rather go all the way to Chicago, as opposed to having a nine hour layover in St. Louis to connect to the Missouri River Runner. The Heartland Flyer/Overnight bus option isn't very attractive either.

Would this be a paid ticket or an AGR award? :huh:

If a paid ticket, try booking using the "multi-city" booking. Then input SAS-CHI and CHI-KCY. It should come up, but it may not be guaranteed. And yes, the TE could be that late!

Call 1800USARAIL and see if an agent can do it. Sometimes they have more options than you see on the website. They can tell you if it would be garunteed or not

Going from the Eagle to the Chief via Chicago is not a guaranteed connection, unfortunately. If you want guaranteed, your options from SAS to KCY are:

SAS-FTW-OKC-KCY

or

SAS-STL-KCY

or

SAS-SPI-GBB-KCY

I should note that with regard to the River Runner connection, if the Eagle gets in in time, you may very well be able to exchange your ticket for the earlier River Runner departure at 8:30 AM, or even just nicely ask and see if the Conductor will let you on with the afternoon ticket. Over the past month at AmtrakDelays.com, I'm only seeing the Eagle missing that early morning River Runner twice.

Rafi

Last edited by a moderator:
Going from the Eagle to the Chief via Chicago is not a guaranteed connection, unfortunately. If you want guaranteed, your options from SAS to KCY are:SAS-FTW-OKC-KCY

or

SAS-STL-KCY

or

SAS-SPI-GBB-KCY

I should note that with regard to the River Runner connection, if the Eagle gets in in time, you may very well be able to exchange your ticket for the earlier River Runner departure at 8:30 AM, or even just nicely ask and see if the Conductor will let you on with the afternoon ticket. Over the past month at AmtrakDelays.com, I'm only seeing the Eagle missing that early morning River Runner twice.

Rafi
Rafi made a good point. You have a reasonably good chance of catching the morning River Runner. But if not, St. Louis isn't a bad place to spend a day and you will still get into Kansas City before the Chicago to Kansas City train.

Just to bring this thread up to date, Amtrak has now opened the connection from 22 to 311 (the 8:30 AM STL departure) as a guaranteed connection for folks traveling between St. Louis and Kansas City. That gets folks to KCY a full 7.5 hours earlier than the afternoon River Runner and 8 hours before the Chief arrives. For folks heading west of Kansas City on the Chief, they're still keeping that crowd in the new St. Louis station until the 4 PM departure since there's a First Class lounge there.

Rafi

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to bring this thread up to date, Amtrak has now opened the connection from 22 to 311 (the 8:30 AM STL departure) as a guaranteed connection for folks traveling between St. Louis and Kansas City. That gets folks to KCY a full 7.5 hours earlier than the afternoon River Runner and 8 hours before the Chief arrives. For folks heading west of Kansas City on the Chief, they're still keeping that crowd in the new St. Louis station until the 4 PM departure since there's a First Class lounge there.
Rafi
While there's a First Class lounge in STL, KCY is also a pretty fabulous place to wait for a train.

Take the STL connection option. You'll get a good night's sleep on the TE and arrive STL just right after enjoying your breakfast. On paper that Heartland Flyer all night bus connection looks really nasty. Besides, I pay Amtrak for riding trains and not being stuck on an all nighter motor coach.

Take the STL connection option. You'll get a good night's sleep on the TE and arrive STL just right after enjoying your breakfast. On paper that Heartland Flyer all night bus connection looks really nasty. Besides, I pay Amtrak for riding trains and not being stuck on an all nighter motor coach.
As someone who has done both I assure you that the St. Louis or Springfield option is vastly superior to ANY Bus trip,

as the traveler might say,if in doubt ride the train!!!! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back