Scanners, Radio and other such tech inquiries

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just ordered a Bearcat BC125AT scanner. It costs $110, but it includes the computer cable, and software that says it allows loading frequencies from a spreadsheet. I'm fluent in Excel, so that should be easy for me.

I looked at the current Baofeng kit, which is now $70, but the computer cable is an extra $22. I looked at both user manuals, and it seemed to me that the Baofeng is much more complicated, as I would expect since it's really a 2-way radio that also scans. There are only a few pages in the Baofeng manual covering scanning, but I did notice that it scans at only 3 steps/second, compared with 100/sec for the Bearcat. The Bearcat seems to have a lot of features which were not mentioned in the Baofeng manual. The Bearcat just seemed like it would be more straightforward to use for scanning, since that's it's only purpose in life.

The Bearcat uses rather obsolete NiMH batteries which are recharged thru the USB cable, which can be plugged into a phone charger. But it can also use regular alkaline AA's. It's not clear to me whether it can run directly off USB power.

I also ordered a Diamond RH77CA antenna, because Danny Hartman (Distant Signal vlog) said it works much better than the included "rubber ducky". (He also recommended the scanner.)

So, I'll see how it goes on my upcoming NYC trip.

It also let me operate in kilometres and kph rather than having to try to make sense of the bushels, or farenheit, or ounces, or whatever it is that you lot use to measure distance and speed.
My preferred speed measurement is furlongs per fortnight :) Haven't been able to program the speed app to use this though.

Why I really like listen to My Scanner while traveling by train . The following ( Train Story / Sea Story ) this past Summer Coast Starlight Portland to Sacramento .. My Scanner lite up with Chatter about a Train Trestle in Southern Oregon that was on Fire. Followed by the Conductor informing the Train Crew of the Changing Situation. About what was going to happen next. It was funny to me how heavily edited was the messaging ( talking to the Passengers as if they were 3rd graders ) I had enough information to phone ahead for food delivery to the station we were standing by., knowing that we would be at a siding overnight, the pain of some passengers that were on a schedule, when and how the delay would be handled by Amtrak ( they did a great job considering the massive issues ) I was put up for two days in a great hotel given food vouchers and had a great time exploring Portland. Although I had planned on returning to Chicago via the Zephyr I returned on the Empire Builder. I was upgraded to the Handicap Compartment. Which was great because I had view on both sides of the train. I will never travel by train with out my Scanner.

Why I really like listen to My Scanner while traveling by train . The following ( Train Story / Sea Story ) this past Summer Coast Starlight Portland to Sacramento .. My Scanner lite up with Chatter about a Train Trestle in Southern Oregon that was on Fire. Followed by the Conductor informing the Train Crew of the Changing Situation. About what was going to happen next. It was funny to me how heavily edited was the messaging ( talking to the Passengers as if they were 3rd graders ) I had enough information to phone ahead for food delivery to the station we were standing by., knowing that we would be at a siding overnight, the pain of some passengers that were on a schedule, when and how the delay would be handled by Amtrak ( they did a great job considering the massive issues ) I was put up for two days in a great hotel given food vouchers and had a great time exploring Portland. Although I had planned on returning to Chicago via the Zephyr I returned on the Empire Builder. I was upgraded to the Handicap Compartment. Which was great because I had view on both sides of the train. I will never travel by train with out my Scanner.
This is one of the best endorsements yet for why train travelers should consider having a scanner with them. While we’ve never monitored AMTRAK radio traffic as dramatic as this example, we have been able to listen in on other conversations between crew members and messages from dispatchers that alerted us to events out of the ordinary, some of which did affected our trains’ operations. We would never consider traveling by train without our scanner.

Eric & Pat

Last edited:
I just ordered a Bearcat BC125AT scanner.
I purchased that same model six or seven years ago. There was a newer model back then but there was something it was missing (self-charging?) that pushed me to buy the older model instead. The digital trunking models made no difference for rail or air and could not decode metro PD so I left them alone.

The Bearcat uses rather obsolete NiMH batteries which are recharged thru the USB cable, which can be plugged into a phone charger.
Make sure you buy a quality brand like Panasonic eneloop from a legitimate distributor (plus a charger and backup pack) and you'll be good to go.

1634741100320.png

I also ordered a Diamond RH77CA antenna, because Danny Hartman (Distant Signal vlog) said it works much better than the included "rubber ducky". (He also recommended the scanner.)
Let me know how Danny Harmon's advice works out. I'm pretty sure it will be better than the coiled version but not as good as his in-vehicle setup.

Let me know how Danny Harmon's advice works out. I'm pretty sure it will be better than the coiled version but not as good as his in-vehicle setup.
Oops! I see I mangled his name. It was late.

I think I'll bring both antennas (or antennae) and try them out, but if there is a difference I might not be able to tell, since this is my 1st scanner and it's only 1 day on the train in each direction.

I'll admit, I might have gotten carried away in the excitement of buying a new toy.

About antennas. Are any available that are fractal antennas ? Fractal antennas are the reason your cell phone does not need the extendable antenna that older cells and the shoe box phones.

I use this suction cup mount antenna (originally from Radio Shack; Scannermaster carries the same) with a telescoping antenna that is about 19-20" long extended (original use was the Ham 2 meter band). I shorten it a couple of sections for 160 MHz.
The second and third images show it mounted in my sleeper window along with my GPS antenns.
The fourth shot shows it mounted in my cabin window on our Mississippi River cruise in August. Used for monitoring the maritime frequencies, especially when "locking through" the two dozen locks we passed.
The scanner and GPS both are powered by AA NiMH batteries and are chargeable via the USB port from a standard USB charger.
20190409_075736.jpg20170724_173531.jpg20170724_173102.jpg51577739697_31a928f4fa_k.jpg

When Prince Charles becomes KING there will be a whole nother method of measuring things i.e. foot size and all that malarkey ! LOL !

Not even with the poms/sassenachs (Oz/Scottish references) out of the EU is this a chance :)

I just ordered a Bearcat BC125AT scanner. It costs $110, but it includes the computer cable, and software that says it allows loading frequencies from a spreadsheet. I'm fluent in Excel, so that should be easy for me.

I looked at the current Baofeng kit, which is now $70, but the computer cable is an extra $22. I looked at both user manuals, and it seemed to me that the Baofeng is much more complicated, as I would expect since it's really a 2-way radio that also scans. There are only a few pages in the Baofeng manual covering scanning, but I did notice that it scans at only 3 steps/second, compared with 100/sec for the Bearcat. The Bearcat seems to have a lot of features which were not mentioned in the Baofeng manual. The Bearcat just seemed like it would be more straightforward to use for scanning, since that's it's only purpose in life.

The Bearcat uses rather obsolete NiMH batteries which are recharged thru the USB cable, which can be plugged into a phone charger. But it can also use regular alkaline AA's. It's not clear to me whether it can run directly off USB power.

Watch out. Certain states restrict the possession of scanners if you are not a licensed ham radio operator. As a result, I got my ham radio license.
https://www.zipscanners.com/blogs/learn/are-police-scanners-legalThis includes railfan scanners. Indiana seems to restrict handheld scanners.

Watch out. Certain states restrict the possession of scanners if you are not a licensed ham radio operator. As a result, I got my ham radio license.
https://www.zipscanners.com/blogs/learn/are-police-scanners-legalThis includes railfan scanners. Indiana seems to restrict handheld scanners.
Not all scanners can pick up police frequencies, particularly now that many police departments have switched over to digital transmission. A basic racing scanner will probably not be able to receive police calls, but will work fine for listening to AMTRAK transmissions.

I would disagree that in this type of application nimh is "rather obsolete." Since they are easy to produce in the sizes like AA or AAA, and are pretty close in voltage to alkaline (1.2v vs 1.5v) they are useable in most AA or AAA applications without much additional work. They are still widely used in these type of applications.

Not all scanners can pick up police frequencies, particularly now that many police departments have switched over to digital transmission. A basic racing scanner will probably not be able to receive police calls, but will work fine for listening to AMTRAK transmissions.
Police activity is not the only restricted area of monitoring - Cruise Ships and Airlines may have an interest in monitoring their activity - airlines
especially in flight on board similar to operating using a cell phone.
Use them discretely - wear an ear device to listen rather then the units speaker - avoid trouble and legal complications.
Oh and don't be too obvious with that "whip antenna" sticking out your pocket ! LOL !

I checked with my friends at Radio Reference.com and they clarified that state restrictions on the use of scanners (handheld or otherwise) apply to using a scanner while driving (for example to avoid a speed trap) or using a scanner in the commission of a crime. Some handheld digital scanners used by hobbyists have the capability to transmit as well as receive, so I can see where a ham license might be required to operate them. Many government agencies and private businesses that use radios to conduct business are now using encryption to limit who can receive their transmissions. I can see where having a scanner with the capability to listen in on encrypted radio transmissions might raise some concerns. Until Amtrak comes out with a specific ruling that bans passengers from using scanners, I will continue to use mine during rail trips. As was pointed out, when listening to a scanner in an open coach, sightseer lounge car, or other public area, always use earphones or earbuds.

Any scanner with the right frequency range will still receive police broadcasts. What a very basic scanner cannot do is follow a transmission across a shared frequency pool or translate what is being said due to digital encoding (legally reversible) or encryption (legally protected).

I would disagree that in this type of application nimh is "rather obsolete." Since they are easy to produce in the sizes like AA or AAA, and are pretty close in voltage to alkaline (1.2v vs 1.5v) they are useable in most AA or AAA applications without much additional work. They are still widely used in these type of applications.
The original problem with NiMH cells was that they were often rated just shy of the cutoff voltage for equipment expecting conventional batteries. This often resulted in unexpected and undesirable operation but modern electronics are much more efficient and can usually work fine at NiMH voltages. You might see a low battery warning if the designer did not plan around rechargeable batteries but with a quality brand you can simply ignore it.

Police activity is not the only restricted area of monitoring - Cruise Ships and Airlines may have an interest in monitoring their activity - airlines
especially in flight on board similar to operating using a cell phone.
Here in the US police activity is generally unrestricted unless encrypted or received while operating a vehicle without a radio operator license and modern aircraft broadcast a near constant stream of data over open channels all over the world. I have no idea about cruise ships or maritime law.

Last edited:

It's been a few months, but there have been a few recent reactions and replies to my post, so I just wanted to update a couple of things.

My understanding that frequency banks could be maintained in Excel using the supplied software was incorrect. The software is easy to use, though.

However, there is a freeware package that duplicates and extends the Uniden software, including more extensive real-time control of the scanner from a Windows PC. That package also includes a utility to export and import frequency banks to/from Excel-compatible .csv files. That package is called Scan125, and is at this website.

I did enjoy using the scanner on the trips up and down between Orlando & NYP. I was preboarded by Redcap from the Metro Lounge at NYP before the OBS were in position. When my SCA came into the room and started his spiel, he saw the scanner and said, "I see you've done this before, but I'm gonna continue anyway 'cause I'm supposed to." :)

I kept the Diamond antenna attached most of the time, so I can't really say whether or not it improved reception over the stock antenna. Although I did preprogram the frequencies for the trip into a bank, it seemed like just using the Bearcat's built-in search of all railroad frequencies worked about as well.

Scanners in vehicles are illegal in Florida where I was born and raised. I carried or had mounted a scanner in every car/truck I owned. And still do carry a handheld scanner regularly (including Amtrak trips). Never had an issue with LEO in Florida, Tennessee or now Colorado. There are a few cellphone apps that provide scanner broadcasts from locations around the world mainly law enforcement, aviation but sadly minimal rail at least in the US.

One of the comments above mentioned that - in some areas at least - it may not be legal to have a scanner programmed to police frequencies in a motor vehicle.

I can remember that back in the 1960s the radio station I worked for had a station-owned car utilized by a news reporter that had a mobile scanner for the obvious purpose of covering police news.

Is that sort of thing illegal in this day and age?

I would recommend programming the scanner to the same existing 99 AAR channel numbers, so that when the crew says going over to 56 or 72 etc.... you could just switch your scanner to that channel and not be trying to think about frequencies.
In general I think most trips the communication you will hear is rather mundane but it is nice to know what you are waiting for if you do get stopped, especially if you are already used to the railroad lingo. It is not perfect but the on track online site still has a helpful list of different Amtrak trains radio channels/frequencies if someone has not mentioned it.
As far as batteries I just got a separate charger that comes with Energizer rechargable batteries at Walgreens so one pair could charge while using another. Don't know if they are all the same, but mine you have to remember to flip a small switch under the battery cover if you are using rechargeable or regular batteries.

Back