Scenery on the Coast Starlight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am considering a trip later this year taking the CS from SEA/PDX down through CA and connecting with the CZ either in SAC or EMY. The CS has a reputation for good scenery but I am wondering if I am missing out by getting off at EMY or SAC vs. continuing on to LAX and either taking the SWC or more likely returning back North to catch the CZ. It also opens the possibility of a side trip down to San Diego via the Surfliner for the scenic view along the coast. Any thoughts from those who have done the CS trip?

The CS only runs near the coast south so much of the scenery is south.

The more you ride the more you can see.

Why not see for yourself and follow the route using Google Earth? I, at least, have no idea what kind of scenery might tickle your fancy.

I agree. Take the whole CS route. Most people emphasize only the coastline views, but the CS offers much more than just that. If your return destination is Chicago or further east, you have more options than just the CZ or SWC. Check out the Sunset Limited/City of New Orleans route for example.

Would also recommend the full CS route. You’ll likely be watching the sunset south of SLO right along the coast. The daytime trip from San Jose to SLO has some interesting scenery as well.

Depending on your itinerary, you’ll want to do the Surfliner to/from San Diego during the daytime. Also consider picking the CZ up in SAC if EMY or the BayArea is not of interest - you can visit the California Railroad Museum as part of a layover.

I guess Im in the minority, but I actually prefer the CS route north of sac... I love the forests, rivers, etc, that the CS goes through in Washington, Oregon, and Northern California. To me its a toss up of scenery vs how big of a detour it is/extra time. The middle of CA is ok, but it gets good again once it hits the coast, but that's pretty far south close to LA (South of SLO).

You can't go wrong either way

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coast_Starlight#/media/File:Amtrak_Coast_Starlight.png

For my money, the route would be:
  • CS southbound to SAC
  • CZ eastbound to CHI
  • SWC CHI to LAX
  • CS northbound back to origin
You would get the best scenery in daylight on all trains, though if your eastbound CZ is at all late (depending on season), you might get to watch the lights of Denver glow in the night as you descent the Rocky Mtn Front. But you'd get the coastal areas of SoCal in daylight, as well as the Cascades, Sierra and Rocky Mountains.

Just make sure you get up early in the morning in Utah (Soldier Summit/Book Cliffs) and then northbound on the CS (Mt. Shasta close-up views).

If you can't do all of that, then your idea to do the whole CS and then return to SAC for the CZ sounds best. EMY to SAC is a duplicate of part of the CS route.

Sounds like a good plan. A person could probably make the connection ftom the CZ to the SWC in Galesburg ( I did once) if you want to.

Back