Seaboard92 Is Taking Off

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Seaboard92

Congrats! Both my fiancé and I are airline pilots. She flies for AA out of PHL. If you are ever stuck in Philly, and need a crashpad for the night, message me. We own several, and would be happy to put you up for a night or two complimentary for a fellow train buff!

That's a very nice and generous offer. I would suggest that in the future, you might want to use the personal message feature for such a post...;)

@Seaboard92

Congrats! Both my fiancé and I are airline pilots. She flies for AA out of PHL. If you are ever stuck in Philly, and need a crashpad for the night, message me. We own several, and would be happy to put you up for a night or two complimentary for a fellow train buff!

Thank you so much. If I need to I definitely will send you a message. I was just in PHL the other day for work. I finished my IOE and got my wings there, and then deadheaded on an A321S back to Charlotte. The minute I hit the ground they sent me out to Scranton (AVP), and woke me up the next day to send me on to Shreveport (SHV).

Maybe one day we can meet up and chat sometime.

Thank you so much. If I need to I definitely will send you a message. I was just in PHL the other day for work. I finished my IOE and got my wings there, and then deadheaded on an A321S back to Charlotte. The minute I hit the ground they sent me out to Scranton (AVP), and woke me up the next day to send me on to Shreveport (SHV).

Maybe one day we can meet up and chat sometime.

Congrats, and would be happy to! Hopefully PSA has a flow through program, and you can go mainline at AA in a few years.

They have a flow through program to mainline for pilots but not for flight attendants yet. I'm already making use of the travel benefits. I'm going to ride the Alaska Railroad in a week.
I hope you have a wonderful time, I can't wait to read your trip report.

Wow, I missed this thread. Looks like you know what to do now. I was a regional pilot for 12 years. I miss those days because I don't get to hang out with the flight attendants as much on layovers. Did you get based in CLT? I basically have done the same thing you are already doing. Getting the last of all the Amtrak routes I haven't done and then some. Quick trips to Europe to ride the Glacier Express. Basically, my airline career feeds my railroad hobby. Now I need to figure out how to ride more PV's

Wow, I missed this thread. Looks like you know what to do now. I was a regional pilot for 12 years. I miss those days because I don't get to hang out with the flight attendants as much on layovers. Did you get based in CLT? I basically have done the same thing you are already doing. Getting the last of all the Amtrak routes I haven't done and then some. Quick trips to Europe to ride the Glacier Express. Basically, my airline career feeds my railroad hobby. Now I need to figure out how to ride more PV's

That is one thing I really love about the regional life I get a lot of time with the First Officer and the Captain. We have some 900 of each in Charlotte so I have quite a few to get to know so far. But I love getting a glimpse into their life.

The airline is definitely feeding my railroad hobby because I just did three Alaska Railroad trains in three days. And I managed to make some amazing memories. I think I'll pop over to Europe later this month to do something somewhere. No idea where just yet. I'm going to wait to finish the Amtrak Long Distance Trains till their peak season is over and I can get a better priced ticket. But in three days I managed to rack up 740 miles on trains.

I'm thinking I'm going to make a go for the Balkans or Eastern Europe. As for some reason both of those are really calling me.

The way to figure out how to ride more PV's is to buy one like I did. Not the smartest move I've ever made but a ton of fun. There are quite a few PV excursions going on right now.

]
The airline is definitely feeding my railroad hobby because I just did three Alaska Railroad trains in three days. And I managed to make some amazing memories.
Will you be making, or have you made a thread about it?

That is one thing I really love about the regional life I get a lot of time with the First Officer and the Captain. We have some 900 of each in Charlotte so I have quite a few to get to know so far. But I love getting a glimpse into their life.

The airline is definitely feeding my railroad hobby because I just did three Alaska Railroad trains in three days. And I managed to make some amazing memories. I think I'll pop over to Europe later this month to do something somewhere. No idea where just yet. I'm going to wait to finish the Amtrak Long Distance Trains till their peak season is over and I can get a better priced ticket. But in three days I managed to rack up 740 miles on trains.

I'm thinking I'm going to make a go for the Balkans or Eastern Europe. As for some reason both of those are really calling me.

The way to figure out how to ride more PV's is to buy one like I did. Not the smartest move I've ever made but a ton of fun. There are quite a few PV excursions going on right now.
I imagine that you are going to be really busy with your job, now. How will you find time to pursue further restoration work on your PV?

I was *that close* to the life. Got my ATP, ME CFII, 2,000 hours and 200 multi. Had to make the decision whether to leave instructing/tour piloting and go regional. By then I was 40 years old, recently married and hoping for kids. Just didn't seem like the right time to disappear into the system for months at a time. Let the 25 year olds have it. Never regretted it, but enjoyed every minute of the process!

One of the deciding factors for me was the post 9/11 complete separation of the mechanics of flying from contact with the passengers. The pilots I knew that went regional loved their aircraft, but never really had the sense of serving their customers, other than hopefully keeping them alive. I loved tour flying, especially being able to swoop over places on request.

SFO.jpg

Last edited:
]

Will you be making, or have you made a thread about it?

I will definitely be posting a trip report thread once I sit down long enough to write out the trip report, and have some time to process the photos of my camera so I can include them on the posts. But I would say there is a strong chance that you will see that later on today.

I imagine that you are going to be really busy with your job, now. How will you find time to pursue further restoration work on your PV?

Surprisingly it isn't that hard they are giving me a lot of three day weekends in the middle of the week. And this month they are all on the actual weekend. Of course I'm going to see how far I can escape the confines of home or the Charlotte Douglas International E Concourse as possible too.

Or a video blog?

I want to do that but before I do that I really want to make it as professional as Rick Steves. My hobby is screen writing and I love doing research so I haven't ruled it out but when I do it I'm going to do it on the same level as Rick Steves with a lesser camera. So I'll go one or two times to research it and script it. Then another time to actually film it. But it is something I want to do. I think there is a market for someone who does a Rick Steves quality show aimed more at people in my generation and I want to fill those shoes. I also have to be careful with anything I produce not violating the company policies on travel (such as making a profit on it), or social media.

I was *that close* to the life. Got my ATP, ME CFII, 2,000 hours and 200 multi. Had to make the decision whether to leave instructing/tour piloting and go regional. By then I was 40 years old, recently married and hoping for kids. Just didn't seem like the right time to disappear into the system for months at a time. Let the 25 year olds have it. Never regretted it, but enjoyed every minute of the process!

One of the deciding factors for me was the post 9/11 complete separation of the mechanics of flying from contact with the passengers. The pilots I knew that went regional loved their aircraft, but never really had the sense of serving their customers, other than hopefully keeping them alive. I loved tour flying, especially being able to swoop over places on request.

I know our pilots love the aircraft but some really do like serving their customers. One I had recently I swear must be a stand up comedian because he was telling jokes the entire pre flight announcement. I wish more were like that. I want to go do a tour flight one day somewhere probably over in Alaska especially if I can talk the pilot into doing some swoops over Alaska Railroad passenger trains for me. I don't know how the pilots do it up there these days with so little human contact. I'm a people person so I thrive on having people to talk to. I love flights that aren't crowded as I can talk to people and give them individual attention. I especially love it when people are going places I've been before, or have lived as I can give recommendations.

I want to do that but before I do that I really want to make it as professional as Rick Steves. My hobby is screen writing and I love doing research so I haven't ruled it out but when I do it I'm going to do it on the same level as Rick Steves with a lesser camera. So I'll go one or two times to research it and script it. Then another time to actually film it. But it is something I want to do. I think there is a market for someone who does a Rick Steves quality show aimed more at people in my generation and I want to fill those shoes. I also have to be careful with anything I produce not violating the company policies on travel (such as making a profit on it), or social media....

I've recently seen a couple of Rick Steves TV episodes on PBS. As well done as they are, they were dated. (mid 2000's)

I think there is a market for someone who does a Rick Steves quality show aimed more at people in your generation. And we all know someone who can fill those shoes...

Go for it!

I've recently seen a couple of Rick Steves TV episodes on PBS. As well done as they are, they were dated. (mid 2000's)

I think there is a market for someone who does a Rick Steves quality show aimed more at people in your generation. And we all know someone who can fill those shoes...

Go for it!
Thank you. I hope I can start doing this starting next year. That way I can research and do the due diligence to provide a good product.

We‘ll look forward to your travel shows! Rick Steves has been our bible on trips to Europe. Maybe you can attend one of his lectures he gives occasionally from his home base near Seattle and then get to discuss your plans with him.

We‘ll look forward to your travel shows! Rick Steves has been our bible on trips to Europe. Maybe you can attend one of his lectures he gives occasionally from his home base near Seattle and then get to discuss your plans with him.

You know that would be a really good idea wince I have the ability to go to any of his lectures now. I used to look for just local ones but I guess I can go anywhere now.

I just had a Toronto layover and got some good ideas for some material in Toronto.

You know that would be a really good idea wince I have the ability to go to any of his lectures now. I used to look for just local ones but I guess I can go anywhere now.

I just had a Toronto layover and got some good ideas for some material in Toronto.
Glad to see you're able to visit Canada, it's been 18 months since I've been able to visit Family and Friends there due to COVID!

Back