Seaboard92 Is Taking Off

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first day of training will be on May 17th in Dayton, Ohio

Welcome to my community as you are training!

A don't miss site to spend a day is the National Museum of the United States Air Force at Wright Patterson AFB.

Lots of good small restaurants/cafes/lounges in Dayton's Oregon District.

Interested in an upscale dining experience? The Pine Club is nationally known. (Bring your checkbook or cash; credit cards are not accepted.) Jay's Seafood is well patronized by local citizens. In Dayton's Southern suburbs, The Paragon Supper Club has the ambiance of the Pine Club without being quite as expensive. Further South along Ohio 741, you will find Austin Landing with several restaurants, only one of which I have patronized. Ok, but I'll go to The Paragon instead.

Pizza? Cassano's and Marion's are the largest local restaurants. Marion's does not offer delivery. Cassano's does. Of the two, I prefer Cassano's. (Their Big Cheese with Black Olives: oh, so good!)

What else might I be able to tell you about the Dayton area?

Thank you everyone for all of the kind words. It wasn't a choice that came easy which is actually a lie I love traveling and seeing the world. It was very easy.

Good luck! What made you make the change?

I decided to make the change because PV gigs have really gotten few and far between in the last few years and for some reason I've never had luck with getting on at Amtrak. I also feel like it is a good growth opportunity for me. It puts me in a place where there is a lot of upward mobility and a steady income. But it's also flexible enough that what few PV gigs are still around I might be able to pick one up every now and again. It is also the closest lifestyle type job to what I used to do when I would be on a PV trip for a month at a time, be home a day and do it again. So a little bit familiar and a little bit foreign.

I've always had an interest in being a flight attendant since in 2015 I watched that ABC show Pan Am because I saw how great the lifestyle of traveling to everywhere in the world with a good team. Then I realized wait they hire men for this job now too and I like the idea of being able to explore the world.

Good luck! I hope that we still see you around here!

You won't get rid of me that easy. My first hobby and interest will always be the railroad. So much in fact I'm buying an EX Southern Pacific 10/6 that was the last 10/6 on the Amtrak Era Broadway Limited to turn into my mobile home. With the airline and especially hoping to be moved upwards into AA Mainline my life will always be in flux. But if I can take my home with me I can always sleep in my own bed when I change hubs. I'm getting a really good price on one, and I'm sure I'll post more about that as I do it. I reckon I can make some additional money renting out the other rooms in the car as well to other airline industry people.

Welcome to my community as you are training!

A don't miss site to spend a day is the National Museum of the United States Air Force at Wright Patterson AFB.

Lots of good small restaurants/cafes/lounges in Dayton's Oregon District.

Interested in an upscale dining experience? The Pine Club is nationally known. (Bring your checkbook or cash; credit cards are not accepted.) Jay's Seafood is well patronized by local citizens. In Dayton's Southern suburbs, The Paragon Supper Club has the ambiance of the Pine Club without being quite as expensive. Further South along Ohio 741, you will find Austin Landing with several restaurants, only one of which I have patronized. Ok, but I'll go to The Paragon instead.

Pizza? Cassano's and Marion's are the largest local restaurants. Marion's does not offer delivery. Cassano's does. Of the two, I prefer Cassano's. (Their Big Cheese with Black Olives: oh, so good!)

What else might I be able to tell you about the Dayton area?

Oh I have so many questions. I hope I will be able to visit that museum while I'm up there. I'm not sure what type of free time we will have. I haven't found much information online about what all training entails but I do know what time it starts. I've heard that we might have some weekends free and there is a rail excursion in nearby Springfield I might want to ride if I in fact have weekends free. As I can easily study onboard a train it's my native environment after all. I managed a 4.0 GPA all while working on the rails usually by studying in the crew room.

Where is the best Fried Chicken, burgers, and fries. Those are always items I look for in every city I go to. I won't have a car so I'm stuck wherever the hotel is, and if I do get time off I might take a city bus into downtown.

How is public transit in Dayton? Any good railfaning spots I can sit and study at?

I've always had an interest in being a flight attendant since in 2015 I watched that ABC show Pan Am because I saw how great the lifestyle of traveling to everywhere in the world with a good team. Then I realized wait they hire men for this job now too and I like the idea of being able to explore the world.
Like you, my first interest was the railroad and then I got into (commercial) aviation. I wouldn't mind being a flight attendant either someday.

Like you, my first interest was the railroad and then I got into (commercial) aviation. I wouldn't mind being a flight attendant either someday.

All the regionals are hiring right now. PSA which is where I'm going is starting a class every Monday this year. Air Wisconsin, and Endeavor Air are also hiring.

Oh I have so many questions. I hope I will be able to visit that museum while I'm up there. I'm not sure what type of free time we will have. I haven't found much information online about what all training entails but I do know what time it starts. I've heard that we might have some weekends free and there is a rail excursion in nearby Springfield I might want to ride if I in fact have weekends free. As I can easily study onboard a train it's my native environment after all. I managed a 4.0 GPA all while working on the rails usually by studying in the crew room.

Where is the best Fried Chicken, burgers, and fries. Those are always items I look for in every city I go to. I won't have a car so I'm stuck wherever the hotel is, and if I do get time off I might take a city bus into downtown.

How is public transit in Dayton? Any good railfaning spots I can sit and study at?

As a former resident of the area, I am becoming homesick already. Suggest a visit to quaint Yellow Springs, not far from Dayton, for the best ice cream experience around: Young's Dairy! You will not be disappointed.

So I accepted a position with PSA Airlines 100 percent owned by AA as a Flight Attendant. My first day of training will be on May 17th in Dayton, Ohio. My last train I'm working is May 8th in St. Mary's, GA where I'll be the LSA. I'm excited for this new exciting adventure. Wish me luck.
Congrats and Good luck! Please keep us posted on your New Career!

As a former resident of the area, I am becoming homesick already. Suggest a visit to quaint Yellow Springs, not far from Dayton, for the best ice cream experience around: Young's Dairy! You will not be disappointed.

I have a feeling I'm going to need to get a rental car at least one day as I'm always in for something like that. One of my first trips to Huntington, WV we went to one of those older roadside Dairy Bars and it was amazing. Such a good memory.

Congrats and Good luck! Please keep us posted on your New Career!

Most definitely. I'll be around here for a long time. I might use the travel benefits to finish off the Amtrak network once I start getting some days off.

I agree. Yellow Springs in and of itself is a rather unique community. Home of Antioch College. A car will be needed for such exploration, however.

So you will be based in Dayton, or just doing your training in Dayton? Thanks and good luck!
I would think their training center (or one of them) is in or near Dayton, and that he will be moved to a base afterwards. Just a guess though!

Congratulations! Welcome to the world of D2, NRSA travel...having that means you can hop around the world in pursuit of railfan activities. ;)

Congrats on your new opportunity, I promise you it will be rewarding. Some days it will be the best of times, other days it will be the worst of times, either way you will experience humanity - and a world of infinite possibility - on a level I believe is unique to airline employees. It isn't the train. Airline life is altogether different. It's not that one is worse or one is better, both worlds have their charms and their downsides. I lived it for a while, in ground services. I will never forget the exhilarating and rapidly unfolding developments in even a normal day. Should you ever have questions or just need a sounding board, feel free to send me a message. You might not need anyone's input, though, you will bring a level of knowledge and skill to the job from day one, you will learn and apply your knowledge from day one, and I predict you are going to really enjoy this new adventure.

Back